Thread: Weights + Conditioning

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Weights + Conditioning

In my efforts to lose body fat, I was advised to ditch most of my cardio; just lifting and perfecting my diet has moved me along this goal very nicely. I'm envisioning adding conditioning back in to my routine, but my primary focus will remain on strength training, and so I'm looking at the best way to structure my program.

I've read a couple articles on Periodization for weight training, and for cardio they recommend HIIT for when you're lifting high intensity/low volume, and lower intensity endurance cardio for periods when you're doing medium-low intensity/high volume hypertrophy work.

That seems nonsensical to me. Why pair high intensity lifting with high intensity conditioning? And high volume lifting with high volume conditioning?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Why do you see them as mutually exclusive?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Lifting heavy is a big drain on the CNS, as is HIIT, so recovery would seem to be a problem.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Max effort barbell work and HIIT is certainly fine. Just be sure its actually HIIT. If your doing it longer than 15 mins your doing it it wrong.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Max effort barbell work and HIIT is certainly fine. Just be sure its actually HIIT. If your doing it longer than 15 mins your doing it it wrong.
    Doing max barbell work (80% of 1RM and above say) regularly and attempting to do legit HIIT as you point out, you're going to over train and or get injured. You'd need to periodize intensity, volume, etc to account of added stress of legit HIIT, which is very taxing on the system.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    With that I agree. You can't do it everyday, naturally. I failed to mention that in my post.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    My understanding of pairing HI lifting + HIIT is that you're basically treating your HIIT as another set or two of your HI lifting. Meaning, if you're doing 8 sets of 2-3 reps @ 80%+ of your max on squat/dead/bench/press, then you would lower that volume a bit (to maybe 5 or 6 sets) and add in HIIT to make up for that volume.

You can end up overtraining on anything if you don't keep your volume (and intensity) in check, so you probably shouldn't just pile it on top without adjusting for volume or at least working up to that volume. You'd just have to play with it and find what's right for you. But I'll just say that there's very few non-professional strength athletes out there in the GP that are in ANY danger of over-training...as long as good recovery techniques are being performed.

Another thing to keep in mind is that your cardio shouldn't (and really can't) be exclusively HIIT. Vary it up and be smart about programming it in your weekly workouts. True HIIT sessions should probably only be done 1-2 times per week as a part of a well rounded S&C program. As an example, I'll typically program in a long(er) steady state recovery run after a HI squat day (which may or may not include HIIT cardio on that squat day) mostly for the recovery aspect, but also to develop a larger base of aerobic capacity. Rowing, swimming, biking, and moderate intensity interval runs make up the other sessions that I'll see during the week.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    My understanding of pairing HI lifting + HIIT is that you're basically treating your HIIT as another set or two of your HI lifting. Meaning, if you're doing 8 sets of 2-3 reps @ 80%+ of your max on squat/dead/bench/press, then you would lower that volume a bit (to maybe 5 or 6 sets) and add in HIIT to make up for that volume.
    I've heard that a HIIT session should be considered another strength training session, when you consider your weekly plan. That's interesting though to actually base your lifts based on the next HIIT session.

You can end up overtraining on anything if you don't keep your volume (and intensity) in check, so you probably shouldn't just pile it on top without adjusting for volume or at least working up to that volume. You'd just have to play with it and find what's right for you. But I'll just say that there's very few non-professional strength athletes out there in the GP that are in ANY danger of over-training...as long as good recovery techniques are being performed.
    Oh no, I've over-trained several times...twice-daily cardio plus a strength training session, 6 days a week. For months, straight. Yes, I've been there. Recovery? I used to not understand at all it was needed. Now after each workout day I have a recovery day, where I only do a brisk walk (and, lately, yoga). When I add conditioning back in, it will be in the morning, with strength training in the late afternoon, so as to keep that whole day off afterwards.

Another thing to keep in mind is that your cardio shouldn't (and really can't) be exclusively HIIT. Vary it up and be smart about programming it in your weekly workouts. True HIIT sessions should probably only be done 1-2 times per week as a part of a well rounded S&C program.
    Several of the studies on HIIT I've seen indicate that adaptations peak at 6 weeks, then taper off rapidly. So, that is my plan going forward: 6 weeks HIIT, then switch to moderate/low intensity for the next 6 weeks. Then, a full week off. Repeat. I've been at this for years (and I'm down 163 pounds), so I like to take the long-term view.

As an example, I'll typically program in a long(er) steady state recovery run after a HI squat day (which may or may not include HIIT cardio on that squat day) mostly for the recovery aspect, but also to develop a larger base of aerobic capacity. Rowing, swimming, biking, and moderate intensity interval runs make up the other sessions that I'll see during the week.
    Biking, rowing, and swimming are the modalities I've seen recommended for non-HIIT conditioning. Not running, which is said to compromise recovery.

There are a couple guys here who have said they often follow a strength training session with a (very) brief HIIT session. I hoped guys would share what they've found to work in this thread.

Feedback Score
    HIIT does have cardio in it so youre not ditching cardio. Youre just inyegrating it with weights. Ive found HIIT to be the most effective in weight loss.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    HIIT has an aspect of cardio training in it, but its only one part of a whole.

Only doing HIIT for cardio training is akin to only benching 3x 8 reps of the same weight and wondering why you are on a plateau.