Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Anyone here considering going to a 1911 in 9MM for self defense?

Feedback Score
    I've been using an STI Marauder for the past 7-8 months for ipsc and steel challenge it's been dead nuts reliable, no joke my favorite gun to shoot. I carry a glock 19 but after shooting this and a friends Wilson Combat 9mm professional I may be a convert, he let me use his WC for a day in class roughly 500+- rounds and flawless. According to him all he has done is change his recoil spring every 3-5k rounds and he hasn't had a single hiccup. Now to be honest I live in CA so I am limited to carrying 10rds if I could I carry more BHP all the way it's my first pistol and my favorite above all else.
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    First I'm 62 years old and started reading Col. Cooper in the late 60s'. All my Uncles were dyed in the wool 1911 Fans who purchased 1911 pistols and ammo before the 68 Gun Control Act and that's what they carried in a holster inside their bid overalls. Hardball of course as Super Vel didn't exist at the time. I have a long love affair with the 1911 in .45 as it was the only handgun for self defense according to my Uncles and Col. Cooper. Fast forward about 50 years and others like Bill Wilson and others are claiming the 9MM with the right ammo is just as good. Still I remember others also saying with everything being equal the 1911 is more reliable in .45ACP than anything else. So does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Here's a link to a video where Bill Wilson states he's going to start to carry a Compact 1911 in 9MM.
    http://youtu.be/scz1uWl21bM
    If you're going to carry 9 mm, why not a Glock 19 or HK VP9? With appropriate training, one can use a G19 as fast and as effective as a 1911 commander in 9 mm. More rounds in the magazine and lower costs.

If you live in a state with magazine capacity restrictions or have physical limitations that prevent you from shooting 45 acp, then I understand a 1911 in 9 mm for conceal carry.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have carried a few different 1911 in 9mm. My two favorites were a SACS and a DW Custom. I had a DW guardian that was nice as well. All were very reliable with quality mags. Actually the only 9mm 1911 I had that wasn't reliable was an STI shadow.

IMO modern self defense loadings have made .45 superflous. Might as well carry a 9mm.

Switched to a Glock 19 though. Less maintenence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have two 9mm 1911s both that I carried on duty. The full size one is an STI Duty one 5.0. It is totally reliable with metal form mags, whether it be the 9 rounder that came with it or the 10 rounders that metal form makes. All other brands I have tried make the gun lock up tighter than a mormon girl on prom night. The second one I bought as a back up gun is the cheapest 9mm 1911 STI makes the Spartan 9mm. The differences are the ramped barrel on the full size. So far they have both ran completely reliable with the metal form mags, 115, 124 and 147 grain flat point target ammo. They also ran completely reliable with 147 grain federal hydra-shock tactical (my previously issued duty ammo) and 124 grain +P gold dots (current issued ammo). I shot 100 rounds of each through each pistol with no issues. I have around 1800 of the various sized practice ammo through the smaller pistol and about 2.5-3k through the full size gun.

the next step is a 2011 as much of their bad rep comes from people shooting mags tuned for competition to not lock back. I would not hesitate to go into battle with a 9mm 1911 from a reputable maker.

Also, if you don't mind a semi custom and a bit of a wait the SACS Warren custom is just under 2k and survived a lot of torture that you can read about over at pistol-training.com...
    Last edited by rathos; 07-17-15 at 00:31.
    Lack of Lubrication -- a lot of folks who learned on bolt guns don't understand that gas guns like women run better wet.
    -KevinB

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456