Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATE 6/25! SEE LAST POST!! 9 mm Bullet Seating Problem

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

UPDATE 6/25! SEE LAST POST!! 9 mm Bullet Seating Problem

I'm wondering if this is a case problem, a bullet problem or a seating die problem...

I'm loading on a Dillon Super 1050 and using a Dillon Seating die. Bullets are Black Bullet International 125 grain cones.

Apparently, the bullet seated off center in the case causing a bulged case that catastrophically would not chamber and locked up the gun (G17).

Experience or thoughts? Would a Redding competition seating die fix it?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Sparky5019; 06-25-15 at 09:19.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Is this a one round fluke or a repeating problem?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've had several. I'd say 3-4/350 rounds loaded.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Make sure you're using the right seating stem.

http://m.dillonprecision.com/mconten...n_Seating_Dies

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IraqVet1982 View Post
    Make sure you're using the right seating stem.

http://m.dillonprecision.com/mconten...n_Seating_Dies
    Duh. I've been loading for 30 years...that's not the problem.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I looked at your bullet on Black Bullet's web site and then consulted Dillon's web site and saw that they offer two seating stems--one for round nose and one for semi-wadcutter bullets. It may be that neither stem is a good fit. Ideally, the seating stem would precisely fit the bullet nose. In your case, if it does not, then the stem could be the problem.

Since your bullet is swaged lead with a .356 diameter, your expander is not ideal if it was designed for .355 jacketed bullets--which it likely was. If so, the problem is that during seating, lead is being scraped off the bullet's side and accumulating between the bullet and seating stem body.

The fix is using fmj bullets or having a custom powder through expander made for the .356 swaged bullets. Part of the fix is having a seating stem made that fits precisely your bullet's nose. My guess is that the guys selling this bullet have heard this problem before. A custom powder through expander funnel would have Lyman M die dimensions.
    Last edited by williejc; 05-24-15 at 22:39. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It's not shaving lead. The bullet is not being seated crooked but more like its occasionally being allowed to not concentric and the case bulges on one side. The finished round does not look any different from every other round; the only way to determine the problem would be a chamber test. The seating stem shape is not a problem. The powder funnel/expander is not a problem as the case is expanded concentrically and the case just barely slides into the seating die.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You seem to have eliminated the possible machine/die problem areas. My vote is on the funky looking bullets.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have been having the same issues with some 147g lead conical flat point bullets I recently bought and am still working on a solution. The area on the brass where you see the bulge you mentioned is .002" larger in diameter than on rounds that will feed reliably. In the past I remedied the problem with other lead bullets by changing cartridge C.O.L.

Let us know what you have to do to correct the issue.
    Last edited by T2C; 05-25-15 at 04:07.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It looks like you ruled out it being a "seating problem" instead it seems that you have a chambering issue.

Next guess is C.O.A.L is T2C suggest.
    Last edited by IraqVet1982; 05-25-15 at 06:17.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast