Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14.5" vs. 16" barrel (defensive)

Feedback Score

14.5" vs. 16" barrel (defensive)

So I tried looking for this but I couldn't find it on this forum. My question is will there be a big difference in performance from he 5.56 when being delivered from the 16" barrel vs. the 14.5 M4 barrel? A pretty knowledgeable guy at my local gun shop told me to pass on getting the 14.5, and to get a 16" for better over all performance. He said that I would lose about 100, to 150 FPS with the shorter barrel. If possible I would rather have a shorter carbine but if the terminal ballistics of the 5.56 are significantly better from the 16" platform then so be it. I know that the 5.56 is nasty coming out of an M16 length barrel but obviously there is nothing to carbine-ish about that now is there....

Thanks in advance
    "To ask is but a moments shame, but to not ask, and remain ignorant is a life's shame" - Lao Tzu

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    not a huge difference ballistically, but a 16" middy will be more reliable and less likely to break/wear out parts than a 14.5 carbine

something to keep in mind.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    not a huge difference ballistically, but a 16" middy will be more reliable and less likely to break/wear out parts than a 14.5 carbine

something to keep in mind.
    Oh really??

Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Feedback Score
    To quote GotM4 from an earlier post of his...

"The midlength gas system cures the CAR length gas system problem of excess gas pressure/volume".

Perhaps this is what he was referencing.

???

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by billybronco View Post
    To quote GotM4 from an earlier post of his...

"The midlength gas system cures the CAR length gas system problem of excess gas pressure/volume".

Perhaps this is what he was referencing.

???

They are still not more reliable, this has been debated over and over again....
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    there is a tool for every job. the OP said it was "defensive". for me "defensive" means defending my house, which is 20 floors up so the shorter barrel makes moving around my condo a bit easier. i'll take maneuverability over some FPS anyday
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt5172 View Post
    They are still not more reliable, this has been debated over and over again....
    Actually anything closer to the original 20" barrel/rifle gas system is inherently more reliable..........

When was the last time you heard of a Colt 20" gun break a bolt?
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    16" only because of not having to SBR it and being able to take it apart if you need to without dealing with a pinned and welded flashhider. IMO the length of the gas system doesn't matter just use an H or H2 buffer in your carbine if you're worried about wear. If I were buying new, I'd choose a middy 16" although my primary rifle is an LMT with carbine gas and 16" m4 barrel and I have no inclination to replace it.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Inside 100 meters, the difference in terminal ballistics of quality ammo between a 14.5" and 16" will be academic at best.

That being said- the only reason I have a 14.5 gun is to mirror my work gun, it is slightly more maneuverable inside, but not all that different than a 16" gun. For broader application I would go with a 16" middie (which I also have), which is arguably that best GP configuration available.

I personally find the excessive exposed barrel past the front sight annoying on 16" carbine gas guns. It just feels weird to me. I like the feel of a 16" middie, despite the fact that identical configurations will be slightly heavier (unless you are using middie HGs on a CAR, in which they will be the same, obviously).

But that's just me.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Can anyone honestly tell me that they can feel a difference between a 14.5 or 16 in. barrel? I know I sure as hell can't. We are taking about 1.5 inches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast