Thread: Aimpoint ACO?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Aimpoint ACO?

So these have been out for roughly 7-8 months now and I've yet to see anyone make a video on one, post a review on one or even post a picture of one on their rifle. What's the deal? Is Aimpoint going to bring the PRO back to LE sales only, or is the price on the ACO going to drop so that the PRO isn't cannibalizing it's sales (wishful thinking)? I have no doubt it'll be a superb sight, just the way it's being marketed is confusing to me. Perhaps someone with more insight can add to this thread?

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    I'd be surprised if they've sold one yet.

Feedback Score
    I posted a review on TOS here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/67...age=1#i6859628

Here it is:

I got mine today. Here is my review. Mind you I have no rounds downrange with it, but I don't feel I need to in order to compare it with the PRO I have.

It is dimensionally identical to a PRO. The only discernable difference, aside from the markings, is that the PRO has the captured turret/battery caps and this one doesn't.

I could not tell any difference in glass quality compared to the PRO. Despite not having the night vision coating, the glass doesn't seem any clearer. Like the PRO, it has a slight blue tint.

As far as the brightness settings go, the first two settings on the ACO are just barely visible in a completely dark closet, whereas the first two (NV) settings on the PRO are not visible to the naked eye. I don't think these first two settings on the ACO would be of much use. The brightness settings seem to be the same between the two sights for all the rest of the positions, from 3 on.

Now for the mount. It is not "absolute co-witness," as advertised. It is actually the exact same height as the PRO's mount (with the spacer installed), which is to say noticeably higher than the plane of the iron sights (I have a KAC 2-600m rear sight). It is somewhere between a1/3 co-witness and an absolute co-witness. The mount is tightened onto the receiver with a slotted hex head nut. I usually regard slotted nuts as the next best thing to QD, because they can be tightened to a consistent torque using a coin and are easily removed with a variety of objects you are likely to always have on your person... but not this one. The slot in the ACO's mounting screw is unusable, because the screw that it threads onto protrudes far enough through the nut that you can't get anything into the slot. Pretty much the only thing that will install or remove this mount is a wrench. This was a bad move on the part of Aimpoint's engineers. There is no reason the mounting screw needs to be this long for the mount to work. Just making it a few mm shorter would make this mount a much more viable option. You could cut the screw off a little shorter yourself... I have done this with scope rings that have the same problem... but you shouldn't have to take a hack saw to a mount just to make it work the way it should have from the factory.

It is true that this optic does not come with lens covers. Butler Creek ones work... I confirmed by taking the front cap off of a straight tube 30mm scope and slipping it over the eyepiece of the ACO. It sticks out a bit more than an Aimpoint cover, since the rear housing of the Aimpoint is pretty short and the cover can't slide all the way down over it... but it works fine. To help you pick the right size covers, the rear lens housing on the ACO mics out at 1.195", and the front is 1.5".

Overall I am not particularly pleased with the optic. It didn't have any of the features I was hoping it would (I was hoping for clearer glass than the PRO, an absolute co-witness mount, and a mounting nut with a usable coin slot). I'm sure like any Aimpoint it will be a rugged and dependable sight though. The mount can be switched out for a Vortex Tactical 30mm high ring easily enough, which is basically what this mount should have been, and costs all of $20.
    I just bought another PRO for $333 on Memorial Day sale from Tiger Outfitters, and am planning on selling the ACO.
    Last edited by henschman; 05-28-15 at 14:51.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    I'd be surprised if they've sold one yet.
    For what they go for me too. If the pro was only slightly less than what the M3 used to go for, ok but considering at Primary Arms once you buy the proper lens covers for the ACO you'll have spent more than what the PRO costs, it's pointless.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by henschman View Post
    I posted a review on TOS here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/67...age=1#i6859628

Here it is:

I just bought another PRO for $333 on Memorial Day sale from Tiger Outfitters, and am planning on selling the ACO.
    I feel the same way. If it could be had for around $325 tops without the mount I'd be all over it. It's perfect for the rifle I'm putting together right now.

Feedback Score
    I got my ACO on sale for $300, and wouldn't buy it again at that price.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    From what I understand, isn't it just a rebranded C3?
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    From what I understand, isn't it just a rebranded C3?
    No, it has the Comp M4 turrets that are now on the PRO and it has only 10k hours of battery life vs 50k for the C3.

Quote Originally Posted by henschman View Post
    I got my ACO on sale for $300, and wouldn't buy it again at that price.
    If you still plan on selling it I'd probably be interested.