Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Self manufactured SBR lower, a few questions

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Self manufactured SBR lower, a few questions

question #1:

So, I have a few SBR's. My newest project is a 80% lower that I will machine. When filling out a form 1 , Will I put my trust info in both the applicant's name and mailing address box AND the name and location of original manufacturer of firearm box? And I will mark the receiver with just my trust name, address, caliber, model number, and created serial number?

Question #2:

If I am making an SBR from an existing receiver, am I required by law to keep the original manufacturer markings on the lower as well?

Feedback Score
    Can't answer the first part about 80%, but I can the second. Mine was a spikes lower. I put that down as the original mfg with their serial, model, etc. if it says multical, but whatever caliber you intend to build, 5.56, .300, 6.5, 6.8, whichever one. Then there's a spot on the form that says something like "other identifying markings". Bc I'm the one who technically made the actual sbr I put my first name, middle initial, last name and then city,state that I live/made it in. That's the part that's engraved. If you can't see the Caliber on the barrel Bc it's not on it or it's covered up by a rail, you must have that engraved on the receiver as well if it says multi cal. I'm doing an 11.5" with FSB and 7" rail so the caliber will be readily visible and no need to engrave. I'm not sure how this will work if I buy an additional upper that does have the caliber on the barrel covered up, but from my understanding, it the original upper that matters Bc that's what it's registered with. If I switched to a different 11.5" upper that is covered up and sell the original one that's not then I would likely have to. You can also put any length/cal upper on it you wish as long as it's not permenent and can readily and easily be converted back to original form, IE have the original upper on hand. Also, from experience with my dealer, ATF isn't too concerned about the caliber marking and the chances of it being an issue are slim, but it's recommended you have it. It's only an issue with stripped lowers.

Feedback Score
    A1: yes. As info, model is an "if designated" item, so you only engrave it if you choose to give it a model (same concept as a Form 1 suppressor...and I didn't designate a model for any of mine). Be prepared to get a call/email to verify you're using an 80% lower and didn't just fill out the form incorrectly. You can save that step by attaching a letter if you're paper filing, or uploading a doc with a sentence or two confirming its an 80% lower if eFiling.

A2: the ATF recommends you adopt the existing markings, but there's no statute requiring you to do so. If you're eFiling, leave the additional info/description blank. No matter what you put there, it doesn't show up on the form. I leave it blank on all F1s, whether paper or electronic. The newest version does word it a little differently, but I have t seen any reports of leaving it blank causing any issues.

BTW...there's zero requirement to be able to return it to the original configuration.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by albatrossarmament View Post
    question #1:

So, I have a few SBR's. My newest project is a 80% lower that I will machine. When filling out a form 1 , Will I put my trust info in both the applicant's name and mailing address box AND the name and location of original manufacturer of firearm box? And I will mark the receiver with just my trust name, address, caliber, model number, and created serial number?

Question #2:

If I am making an SBR from an existing receiver, am I required by law to keep the original manufacturer markings on the lower as well?
    1) Leave original MFG blank.

2) No, but you have to remove them while in Title I configuration.

Feedback Score
    I say that Bc it says you can change barrel lengths as long as it's NOT permanent, IE can put the original length back on. If it is permanent then you have to notify the ATF via a letter they have on their website. If you can't readily return it back to original configuration Bc you don't have it, then it's considered permanent and you need approval from ATF before making a permanent change

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kymudder08 View Post
    I say that Bc it says you can change barrel lengths as long as it's NOT permanent, IE can put the original length back on. If it is permanent then you have to notify the ATF via a letter they have on their website. If you can't readily return it back to original configuration Bc you don't have it, then it's considered permanent and you need approval from ATF before making a permanent change
    No, you don't need approval for a permanent change. The Form 1 is to Make and Register a firearm...which is a one time act. You then make the firearm to the specs you provided.

There's no requirement even for permanent change. If you think there is, find the statute. I'm not trying to argue this, but it's a topic that gets repeated over and over and simply isn't true. Class III dealers are as guilting of spreading this nonsense as anybody else.

Even in their FAQ, they simply recommend you notify them...because they have no justification to require you to do so. You can put another upper, you can put a 16" upper, of you can even sell the lower (which is simply a lower at that point, whether built or not) as a GCA firearm without any ATF notification or involvement.

They ask/recommend you to notify them of these "permanent" changes because they're required by law to keep the registry as up to date as possible...but there's zero requirement for you to actually do so.
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 06-03-15 at 12:40.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Can't answer the first part about 80%, but I can the second. Mine was a spikes lower. I put that down as the original mfg with their serial, model, etc. if it says multical, but whatever caliber you intend to build, 5.56, .300, 6.5, 6.8, whichever one. Then there's a spot on the form that says something like "other identifying markings". Bc I'm the one who technically made the actual sbr I put my first name, middle initial, last name and then city,state that I live/made it in. That's the part that's engraved. Most people will advocate that you leave this blank. It's already a requirement to mark the firearm with manufacturer markings (trust name/ city, state) so you don't need to inform the ATF you'll be following the instructions on the form. If you can't see the Caliber on the barrel Bc it's not on it or it's covered up by a rail, you must have that engraved on the receiver as well if it says multi cal. In several years Ive never seen anyone engrave the caliber on the weapon. You stated the caliber on the form. What if I form 1 a pre existing rifle lower marked 5.56 and build a 300 blackout? I wouldn't be require to engrave the new caliber. I'm doing an 11.5" with FSB and 7" rail so the caliber will be readily visible and no need to engrave. I'm not sure how this will work if I buy an additional upper that does have the caliber on the barrel covered up, but from my understanding, it the original upper that matters Bc that's what it's registered with. If I switched to a different 11.5" upper that is covered up and sell the original one that's not then I would likely have to. You can also put any length/cal upper on it you wish as long as it's not permenent and can readily and easily be converted back to original form, IE have the original upper on hand. There is no requirement or statue regarding this. Also, from experience with my dealer, ATF isn't too concerned about the caliber marking and the chances of it being an issue are slim, but it's recommended you have it. It's only an issue with stripped lowers.
    See red text above.

Feedback Score
    Well, all the information I have come across on various other forums and website tend to say otherwise. Also, it is the ATF after all so I would rather CYA just in case

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Well, all the information I have come across on various other forums and website tend to say otherwise. Also, it is the ATF after all so I would rather CYA just in case
    I understand it's a statute, what I was referring too is I can't recall a single instance, nor seen a picture of anyone engraving a receiver with caliber information.

Almost every AR variant with a free float rail system of 13"+ is going to cover the markings on the barrel. Many factory guns exist in this configuration and covering the caliber is a non issue.

I've never seen an unmarked barrel, and can't recall a single manufacturer that doesn't notate caliber on the barrel. Making engraving caliber on your own receiver kind of a null point.

What happens if you engrave 5.56 on the receiver but also wish to use a 300 BLK? Must both calibers be engraved? By that logic you would need to engrave every conceivable caliber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast