Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Mid-Sized Spring-Assist Folder?

ToddG Guest
    Sorry for the followup post, but:

Differences pros/cons of the 0200 vs 0300/0301/0302?

Feedback Score
    I have the 0302 and my brother has the 0200. His is the better EDC knife. They both have the same assisted opening mechanism but the 0300 is not a mid-sized knife. It's big and heavy. The blade's depth is ridiculous and I can feel the heft of it in my slacks. So it resides on my chest rig. The Zero Tolerance knives are built like tanks, much sturdier than standard Kershaw Knives which are no slouches for mass produced folders.

ToddG Guest
    Soulrack -- According to the ZT site, the 0200 does not have the assisted opening (Speedsafe?) of the 0300 series. Has there been a change?

I've got a point of contact to get one at a great price, just need to figure out which one I'm getting!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulrack223 View Post
    .......(the ZT 0200) is easily one of the most popular EDC knives on bladeforums right now, and I'd doubt any other assisted opening knife is getting better user reivews.
    Why in particular is it being so highly regarded?

Feedback Score
    I would think it's due to several reasons:

1) Ken Onions assisted opening design is generally regarded as the best ao design out there. Kershaw has the exclusive rights to produce knives with it.
    2) Zero Tolerance are made from top of the line materials (CPM Steels, G-10, & some have Titanium) and are made to be tougher than the standard line of Kershaw Knives.
    3) Price vs Features. The MSRP is $160 and New Graham has them for only $128
    http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=7866

The main debate is weather or not you want to trust "your life" to an ao knife. Most say no, and lean towards a Chris Reeve Sebenza for $400 or a custom Rick Hinderer XM-18 for $450 if you can get you mits on one as the best folder out there. Personally I EDC a bladetech RIJBAK designed by Greg Lightfoot.

http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=7732

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks for all the good info!

$128 is certainly reasonable for a true quality blade. Much more would put me out of the market though -- this is an item I want to not be worrying about.

Likewise, this would be solely for utility purposes rather than self defense (other than absolute last-ditch). Realistically, given my physical stature as a mostly office-bound civvy, I rely on having some kind of firearm nearby as much as possible to address the latter need.

I see the 0200 also comes in a serrated version (which I like for reasons as indicated above), but which at New Graham is out-of-stock.

Knocking around their web site though, I also see the ZT Scavenger, which is appealing to me ( http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=7870 ). I've always liked tantos but have never owned one. The Scavenger also includes a serrated version, and which is in-stock. The blade length is a little less than the 0200, which might also suit me better, and the price is slightly less as well. Only downside I can see is that the flat handle may not be as ergonomic (although it may ride in the pocket a little easier).

Feedback Score
    My brother actually has that Scavenger knife too. Identical to the one in the link you provided. It's nice and has the aggressive grip inserts too. They're as rough as sand paper and it's the same ao design. I am sure you'll be happy with any ZT knife you get. Enjoy.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscot View Post
    I've always liked tantos but have never owned one.
    I generally recommend against the americanized "chisel" tanto design, unless your normal use for the knife will be stabbing into metal. A more "traditional" blade shape is much more useful for normal knife uses, such as cutting.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I generally recommend against the americanized "chisel" tanto design, unless your normal use for the knife will be stabbing into metal. A more "traditional" blade shape is much more useful for normal knife uses, such as cutting.
    Point noted. As I said I've never owned a tanto, just think they look cool.

Maybe I'll just wait until New Graham has more of the serrated 0200's in-stock. I think that handle would probably feel better anyway.

ToddG Guest
    I can't tell whether they're in stock, but M4C sponsor Grey Group Training lists them on their website:

Link

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast