Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Faxon Firearms 18" Gunner profile barrel w/ rifle gas

FaxonNathan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserTag View Post
    Soooo 10,000+?
    We apologize for being so direct on the topic, but please see previous questions.

For example, 700 rounds full-auto with only time to reload will significantly reduce barrel life. Slow-fire like bench rest will significantly extend it. As an example, the new M855A1 is wearing barrels in 4-5,000 rounds in an M4 and that is considered "acceptable" by the US Military due to their ammo and firing cycles.

Our barrels are the same 4150 GBQ Mil-Spec steel as what is delivered to the military. They are further nitrided to increase barrel life. As such, its easy for us to say that they will last as long as any other high-quality barrel, but to give something a specific number is just a marketing gimmick with huge amount of asterisks behind it.

We'd much rather give the full honest answer, even if that answer is not specific given the variables.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply I've been lurking in here.

If I can ask the same question with more specifics maybe you can give an estimate on barrel life.

I'm curious about the practical barrel life difference between two 4150 GBQ military grade steel barrels, one chrome lined bore and chamber the other salt bath nitrided. This is for a user who will be doing basic rifle marksmanship slow fire work at distances out to 500 yards, as well as close in rapid fire drills or other faster shooting stages. I won't be doing mindless magazine dumps or running full auto to make expensive noise.

Further I won't be using any M855A1 or copper washed steel jacket ammo. Only copper jacketed ammo, mostly 55gr FMJ, 55gr Nosler BT's, and 69gr or 77gr Matchkings. No powder puff loads, but I also don't try to hot rod my loads either. Typically using a double based ball powder like CFE 223.

Any input you feel you can ethically and credibly relate based on that info will be appreciated.

FaxonNathan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Thanks for the reply I've been lurking in here.

If I can ask the same question with more specifics maybe you can give an estimate on barrel life.

I'm curious about the practical barrel life difference between two 4150 GBQ military grade steel barrels, one chrome lined bore and chamber the other salt bath nitrided. This is for a user who will be doing basic rifle marksmanship slow fire work at distances out to 500 yards, as well as close in rapid fire drills or other faster shooting stages. I won't be doing mindless magazine dumps or running full auto to make expensive noise.

Further I won't be using any M855A1 or copper washed steel jacket ammo. Only copper jacketed ammo, mostly 55gr FMJ, 55gr Nosler BT's, and 69gr or 77gr Matchkings. No powder puff loads, but I also don't try to hot rod my loads either. Typically using a double based ball powder like CFE 223.

Any input you feel you can ethically and credibly relate based on that info will be appreciated.
    As a general rule (of which there are always exceptions), under semi-auto (even rapid semi auto), Nitride and Chrome are very similar in wear characteristics and longevity.

As such, the degradation in accuracy over the life of the barrel will be on par with any other high-quality barrel.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FaxonNathan View Post

We do not recommend dimpling a barrel.
    A little late to the party here, but what is the reason for this?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I found the answer.
    Last edited by elephantrider; 10-12-16 at 01:19.

FaxonNathan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    A little late to the party here, but what is the reason for this?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I found the answer.
    Apologies, as I missed the auto e-mail notification.

We have a detailed Blog answer!

http://faxonfirearms.com/blog/freque...their-barrels/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FaxonNathan View Post
    Apologies, as I missed the auto e-mail notification.

We have a detailed Blog answer!

http://faxonfirearms.com/blog/freque...their-barrels/
    so your block on your pencil barrel has a pin and set screws?

Thanks.

R

Feedback Score

This project is almost in the bag...or in the safe. Whatever.

I ordered the wrong size triangular hand guard cap by mistake. I didn't check if the Colt one I purchased was for .750 or .625 barrels. I needed the latter, but ended up with the former. Not a big deal, since it's a $3 part and already ordered the correct one from BCM.

Once I have that, the upper is off to West Coast Armory for pinning the FSB and final assembly.

I am very happy with the mock up pictured above. I assembled all the parts without final torquing, and it handles beautifully. Balance is right at the rear of the magazine well. The Rainier Arms upper and lower receivers have the tightest fit I've ever seen, and the whole thing just feels solid. I expect this may be a new favorite.
    Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 10-22-16 at 16:34.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post

This project is almost in the bag...or in the safe. Whatever.

I ordered the wrong size triangular hand guard cap by mistake. I didn't check if the Colt one I purchased was for .750 or .625 barrels. I needed the latter, but ended up with the former. Not a big deal, since it's a $3 part and already ordered the correct one from BCM.

Once I have that, the upper is off to West Coast Armory for pinning the FSB and final assembly.

I am very happy with the mock up pictured above. I assembled all the parts without final torquing, and it handles beautifully. Balance is right at the rear of the magazine well. The Rainier Arms upper and lower receivers have the tightest fit I've ever seen, and the whole thing just feels solid. I expect this may be a new favorite.
    I'm looking to build something like this. I wish Faxon offered pinned fsb options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TaterTot View Post
    I'm looking to build something like this. I wish Faxon offered pinned fsb options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk
    I would certainly be happy to pay a bit extra for a barrel that already had a pinned FSB. I understand the desire to keep prices [very] competitive by minimizing options, though. Having another shop do it as part of assembly also helps minimize the chance of the FSB being canted relative to the upper.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So to the OP:
    How does this barrel group? parts this parts that, but haven't heard much about accuracy. So?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast