Thread: What if ??

Feedback Score

What if ??

Disclaimer(s): I have posted this on another forum. This is not an advertisement or commercial for any company or product. I have no affiliation with any company or product mentioned in this thread. All components were purchased at retail or advertised pricing. Selections made for the build were based solely on personal whim or perceived requirement for the build. Now, on to the story ...

Over the years, I have assembled around two dozen AR platforms. Most were to sell when I had an FFL. I have noted with great interest the builds being created by members here. Some pretty cool stuff being done by some very talented people. I started wondering what if someone wanted a custom build and they …

a) Didn’t have all the tools required.
    b) Didn’t feel they have the ability.
    c) Didn’t want a readily available off the shelf “custom” build.
    d) Had some very specific requirements that were not stocked by dealers.
    e) Just didn’t want to do it themselves.

Would someone like Rainier Arms (my choice for this build) accept a parts list and build-to-spec something “special”?

So, I browsed their web site looking at my idea of dream pieces for a new upper for my SBR. Please note that the SBR - Short Barreled Rifle - is an NFA item and properly taxed and stamped. Requesting a barrel shorter than 16 inches, and not having a muzzle device pinned and welded can get you into a lot of trouble. (Sorry - another disclaimer was necessary)

The parts I selected (along with required adjuncts) were:

Rainier Arms Stainless Match .223 Wylde Barrel – 14.5” Mid-length 1:8 Twist
    14.5" is about as short as I can find with a mid-length gas system.
    Rainier Arms UltraMatch Billet Upper Receiver – MOD 2 (M4 Feed Ramps)

Syrac Ordnance .750 Set Screw Low Pro Adjustable Stainless Gas Block
    I wanted an adjustable gas block for suppressor use. I also wanted the barrel drilled so the Gas Block could be pinned in addition to the set screws. The Syrac GB has a dimple in the appropriate location for drilling the barrel.

Gas Tube – Mid-length
    Gas Tube Roll Pin
    Rainier Arms BCG – Precision Match Grade Nickel Boron
    Fortis Hammer Charging Handle – Black Teflon
    AAC 5.56 51T Muzzle Brake – properly timed but NOT pinned – the suppressor mount.
    Troy Front Folding Battle Sight – HK Style (not installed)
    Troy Rear Folding Battle Sight – Not Installed
    BCM KMR KeyMod Rail 5.56mm 13”
    Assembly Fee
    Gas Block Pinning Fee

I called Rainier and spoke with a technician. Nine days later the upper arrived at my door. Washington to Florida has to be a couple of days.

Could I have put it together myself – yes. Could I have purchased a built upper from anyone’s inventory – yes. Were the assembly charges less than the cost of all the tools required to put it together – not really sure, but would be very close. The workmanship was first class and backed by Rainier Arms.

Does it shoot? Oh yeah !

I put the new upper on the LWRC SBR Lower running their factory buffer spring and H2 buffer. Sight-in and shooting was done at GriffonSec’s.

I was actually surprised with the Troy Sights this time. I have them on most of my AR’s, and sight-in is always interesting (remember the box of chocolates line). This time, the vertical alignment of the front sight was “first shot perfect” and the windage was only off a couple of inches to the left at 25 yards. Empties ejected about six feet away between 3 and 4 o’clock. The empties moved a little closer to five o’clock with the suppressor on it, but not enough “over-gassing” to warrant adjusting the Syrac GB.

After adjusting the irons, I put a Leupold Mark AR Mod-1 1.5x4 Scope in a LaRue LT-104 QD mount on it. After a single shot zero (shoot one round, move the cross hairs to the hole) the next five rounds at 25 yards went into a single hole less than a half-inch wide. Grouping at 100 yards with PMC .223 Remington 55 Grain FMJ consistently shot less than 1.5” (ten shot groups using 68 year old eyes - no shots omitted from each group).

We ran a few drills with it on 12” steel at ranges from 35 to 125 yards and there were zero issues of any type with the unit.

I was impressed with the BCM KMR. I had not handled one, and selected it for this upper based on comments seen about its’ diameter and weight (some great photos didn’t hurt any either). I wanted a rail running full length, as close to the muzzle threads as I could get, and the 13” rail on a 14.5” barrel has the “look” I was after. I tried to come up with an analogy for the size of it in my hand, but couldn’t. Using my thumb and middle finger around the rail, I overlap by a knuckle. I don’t use the “C” grip style, but can hold it like the small end of a baseball bat.

I added a BCM Gunfighter KeyMod short vertical grip – this worked very well for me; I like stubby verticals.

This was an interesting experiment that turned out extremely well. I am very pleased with the upper, and many thanks go to the build team at Rainier Arms.

Bottom line – if you want a custom upper and you fall into any (or all) of the categories a) through e) listed above, pick out your parts and give Rainier a call.

As received from Rainier:

AAC Brakeout 51T:

Rainier Upper, BCG and Fortis Hammer:

Completed upper on the LWRC SBR Lower:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jerry R; 06-05-15 at 18:43.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."

John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Feedback Score
    Sweet build!!!

Gotta say..... your photos are excellent.

Cheers
    Shannon

Feedback Score

Cool Dude<>Awesome Custom Build Sweetness!

Hey Jerry, I'll say right off without waiting another minute........... That is SO AWESOME!

I'm just seeing this now and like everything about your Custom Build not to mention how you also wrote this thread.

Do you mind sharing with me and or maybe Shannon,... what kind of $$ do you have in the parts and then also
    what did "Rainer Arms" charge you to build your Upper with your parts?

Did all your parts work or did they have to replace ONE or any because of something you bought didn't work with another one of your parts?

Thank You for Sharing Jerry, Great JOB!

Peace Jeff
    Last edited by RVTMaverick; 07-16-15 at 13:28.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Guys - the kind words are much appreciated. Unfortunately, I went high-end on some of the parts because I will be running this upper suppressed. All vendors will have quality parts that cost a little less. Its like being in a candy store, you pay a little more for licorice than wild cherry jelly beans.

The complete upper, including assembly was $1,600. Rainier charges a flat $100 to build the upper and they headspaced the bolt. A MagPul armorer's tool is $75. Now, having said that, I would not buy parts and ship them to Rainier (or anyone else) and ask them to put it together. Everything on the list was purchased from Rainier and the assembly charge was just another line item on the invoice. If I was buying parts from multiple locations, I would do the build myself.

There were zero issues with any part. I put it on my LWRC SBR lower and it tossed brass between 3 and 4 o'clock with boring regularity. There are a lot of great vendors out there. This was not intended as an advertisement for Rainier. They are the ones I selected based on my past history with them, and I will use them again. There are others that I would not hesitate to use, lots of good guys out there. Think about what you want, what parts are involved, and make a list to work from. If the heart of your build comes from one vendor - see if all the parts are available from them, then ask if they will put it together for you. I think a lot will.

Hope this helps.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."

John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Looks good man.

FYI:
    Noveske has 13.7" mid length barrels and Micromoa has 12.5" mid length barrels (I think 14.5" is better for a mid length gas system, but you said you couldn't find shorter). Also weapon outfitters has a build your upper section on their website with some pricing discounts for using it.