Thread: First ar 15 build

Feedback Score

First ar 15 build

Ok so this is going to be my first ever ar 15 build. I am just going to do a 223 wylde build at this time. It's main use will be for plinking and varmints. I will be picking up my stripped lower tomorrow. I am getting an LRB for $75 otd. I am trying to build this as an spr type build. That being said, I have done some research but I still don't know if I should buy a complete upper when I get my lower done, or a stripped upper and all the parts myself. What would truly be the cheaper way to go? Take into mind that I do not have any special tools to put the barrel on or anything like that myself. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Austin

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    So you know you might want to read the forum rules sticky at the top of the page. This section is for "Complete Builds." I would try your question in the "AR General Discussion" section.

If you have no tools or anything the "cheaper" route would probably be buying a complete upper, unless you find your parts used.

PS I would try the search button at the top of the page. You will find pretty much everything you are curious about.
    Good luck
    Last edited by msigette; 06-06-15 at 06:28.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The Mods will likely move your question there, so I'd wait before duplicating your efforts. And as msigette said, reading and searching will help you a lot.

Before reading on: If this is your first AR-15, I'd suggest buying a working and reliable factory built rifle, otherwise continue reading.

This may not be top of the line armorer's tools, but it'll get you through a build or three.

With July 4th coming up, there's bound to be sales that will help you save some money. Save on shipping by buying as much as you can from a single source or two. Also, places like SKD Tactical have pretty reasonable shipping rates.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    I'd say build your upper too. I never even fired or held an AR and built my first complete rifle and it's one fine unit.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I built my first ar, Bought the tools, great thing about that is now you have the tools...

I think building is the way to go, take your time select the part you want, and watch for sales...

If money is a huge concern Don't be afraid of looking for some blem parts, some company's sell them at great deals and you would have trouble figuring out what the heck the blem was... Like Aero blem uppers....

Depending on the handguard you pick it may come with the barrel nut and wrench...

Dig around on people's build write-ups and you will learn a lot... Dint worry to much about the brand wars and flame wars you see if you are buying quality brands you'll be fine, when you read up more you'll see where the differences are...

With time we all develop our own loyalties to some part or brand, mine I love DD pencil barrels and eotechs.. Just one thing I like...

If you are in an I want to shoot it now mode a built upper might be they way to go...

My lady shot an ar and decided she wanted one... I bought her a stripped lower, sh had it done in a week for under 600 and its a quality build... She did all the part selection and research her self, and all the building her self she had never worked on a gun before in her life other then standard cleaning of her hand guns.
    Last edited by 20ozjolt; 06-19-15 at 23:25.