Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Martian . . .

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Overall, I was entertained by the movie. I think (like most books made into movies) that the story loses some of its teeth in transition to the screen. I found it campy and a bit flat compared to the book, but that's probably just how I imagined things as I was reading the story. I just didn't feel the sense of loneliness and danger quite as much in the movie. The biggest surprise was a big, obvious plot hole that would have cost the movie nothing to fix, but I won't put details here unless someone is really interested. Matt Damon gave a fair performance, there was only one line I really winced over. Oh, and Jessica Chastain and Kate Mara can rescue me from Mars any time

Entertaining, but Apollo 13 is still the best space movie, period. Especially so, because it's actually a true story.
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; 10-09-15 at 09:26.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    Apollo 13 is still the best space movie, period. Especially so, because it's actually a true story.
    Yes!

Oh, and Jessica Chastain and Kate Mara can rescue me from Mars any time
    Oh hell yes! My wife and I argued about which sister is hotter, Kate or Rooney... I vote Kate even though we have all seen Rooney naked.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Oh, and Jessica Chastain and Kate Mara can rescue me from Mars any time
    Jessica Chastain is with out a doubt my favorite actress and she was also in Interstellar.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Oh hell yes! My wife and I argued about which sister is hotter, Kate or Rooney... I vote Kate even though we have all seen Rooney naked.
    My wife is with me on Jessica Chastain, I think it's because she is a fellow redhead. We've seen all of her full nude scenes, the girl's body is simply amazing.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Loved the book and will watch the movie.

As for boycotting movies with liberal leads, please, how many conservative actors are there?

Yep, a handful.

That said, I can watch liberal lead movies while putting their ludicrous politics aside for the duration of the movie.

The only liberal I won't ever be able to watch is that grotesquerie, that massive, oily, blubber-berg, Rosie O'Donnell with her fog horn voice and exceedingly evil presence.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I dunno man.....I watched Exit to Eden a lot on skinemax in the day. I don't know. I mean. You know.

My gripe with Matt Damon is that he's Matt Damon. He can't act. He looks dumb. His best role was in Eurotrip and he was so heavily altered in appearance, I didn't know it was him. I thought they got a legit Oi punk rocker.

Robert Redford and Warren Beatty were no joke Communists. That movie Reds was a pet project basically a love letter to Communism.

But they had these rugged good looks. Matt Damon looks like some dude. Like a Saved by the Bell extra or something.

SPR did right in casting him as a dude that legit wasn't worth saving so we kill off a Ranger team because his mom can't lose all her kids.

Which was/is a BS rule because lots of people are only children.
    He struck me as a skater and some dude.

The only thing that saved that movie was Mal Reynolds and the Churchy Sniper guy because I know guys who are churchy sniper guys with Psalm 144:1 on their sandbags or stocks or something.

Otherwise it was a total cartoon of a film. It wasn't like Hell is for Heroes where dude had jungle taped grease gun mags and when he got shot screamed "MY GUUUUUUUTS! MY GUUUUUUTS"
    I think a dude even got the shit bayonetted out of him. I dunno its been a while

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Yes!

I'm pretty sure Kate is naked briefly in House of Cards season 2. It's been a while though.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It was released this week on disc.

IMHO it was pretty epic. The only thing I can think of that is comparable is Apollo 13 and Gravity.

The film's screen play did not deviate from the book to much. The focus is science and to break that up a little humor. Ridley Scott hit this one out of the park as usual.

The cast, especially the support cast was on point and yes Matt Damon did a phenomenal job.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Saw it last night

The Martian is a "typical" Ridley Scott movie: It's visually compelling and meticulous in its details. His movies are always so visually compelling, it's almost like separate character in the movie. This movie is no different and it's beautiful to watch. The cast is solid, and Matt Damon does a commendable job; I can think of other actors who may have been a better choice who carry more weight on screen. Those into sci fi and space travel in general, will enjoy The Martian, but it's not likely to be viewed a classic in the genre. The story and cast is solid, if not formulaic in use from the big book of sci fi and action movies (the stoic boss, the nerdy engineering who has an epiphany that saves the day, the etc, etc) and and ending that really stretches your ability to suspend your disbelief (Iron Man maneuver indeed...), it's a well made movie worth seeing, especially for those who like realistic space movies vs aliens and laser beams, etc. A-/B+

Mild spoiler alert, duct tape saved Apollo 13 and it saves The Martian and that's a joke they missed!
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Read the book and really liked it. Looking forward to the movie, the DVD is in my queue.

For those that like the genre, I recommend another book - Saturn Run: http://www.amazon.com/Saturn-Run-Joh.../dp/0399176950

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456