Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burris XTR 1-4x24 opinions???

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes. BDC compensators are almost never perfect. Many variables can change calibration - barrel length, brand of ammo, etc. It's always best to go to a large range, set targets out at various distances, zero the rifle at 100 yds (or 200) and then fire at the more distant targets, keeping note of how much they drop, then you can find out exactly what the stadia lines can be used for.
    I will be using a handload loaded with 69gr. Sierra Matchkings, loaded pretty hot, hotter than .223 Rem loads, but not as hot as 5.56 NATO, so I shouldn't have to deviate much, especially when ranges get past 100 yds, the higher BC of my bullets compared to M855 more than make up for the extra weight.
    There's a PDF file on the XTR 5.56 Reticle on Burris' website, going more in depth on how this reticle is to be used.
    http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/XTR_Ballistic556.pdf
    Now, I have enough money to buy it, I decided to get the plain scope, without rings and Fastfire sight, along with a LaRue LT104 mount... I am going to wait until Monday (it's Sat.) to order though, I want to do some more thinking, and read more reviews and info, to see if the Leupold Mark 4 MR/T M2 is really worth the extra $279... they are both 30mm scopes, the Burris is 1-4x, the Leupold is advertised 1.5-5x, but it's actually only 1.5 - 4.5 I found out - so magnification won't be noticeably more... I DO like the reticle better on the Leupold, the illuminated Special Purpose, but I don't like it $279 better!!
    Also, I know I should pay the $190 for the LaRue mount, but I don't need QD capabilities, so I am also thinking about getting a set of $100 Warne 30mm X-high AR rings instead... either way, I have 36 hours to get my mind made up... I HAVE to order by Monday, otherwise I won't have time to get the scope mounted and zeroed by the time I depart for Africa.
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Damascus,

The Leupold 1.5-5X MRT is a nice bit of glass. The SPR reticle seems okay (I like the Circle Dot better), the ER is NOT the same through out the mag range, the Illum is NOT daytime friendly (a big deal for some with this optic as a few think the reticle is too thin), the BDC is a nice touch (and MAYBE a tad bit much given the design of the reticle). It's a bad ass optic, bro. You wont regret it if thats the way you go.

As far as the mount goes...stand by for a PM/e-mail.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Alright. It's Monday. I have to get a scope ordered by tomorrow morning, or else I won't have enough time to properly train with the new equipment.
    I've done some soul searching and brain storming, trying to decide between the XTR-14 and Mark4 MR/T M2, comparing everything I could think of.. I noticed the MK4 had 1/2" MOA adjustments - I prefer 1/4".. but then noticed the Burris did too... I do think the Special Purpose reticle serves my needs a bit better than the XTR 5.56 reticle does, since it's thinner and more "precise"... the only thing that makes me like it better is the XTR's center... the horseshoe with a dot center is not as precise - but I seriously doubt that I will have to engage targets past 300m, if at all, so either optic can easily do that range. The Burris is a bit longer, but not really heavier, so that's nothing... I do like that the Burris' brightness adjustment is on the side of the scope, rather than on top of the eyebell like the Leupold.. makes adjusting easier when looking through it. You mentioned day time visibility on the ill. reticle - I rarely (if ever) use the illumination on any of my scopes during daytime, so that's not even a deciding factor for me ATM. Where I'm going in Africa, is going to be a wet, humid, hot jungle/rainforest type climate, and the new StormCoat glass coating on the Burris XTR's could very well wind up being worth it's weight in gold. The new coating (ruby red) claims to immediately shed water, and not allow it to bead up on the glass and blur your target... we'll see.
    Anyways, just wanted to add: I was at a gunshop this morning picking up some primers, and I handled my dream scope for this scenario, it was absolutely incredible, albeit more expensive that the rifle! lol It was an IOR Valdata 1.5-8x26mm CQB Ill. w/ 35mm tube... man, that thing was so crystal clear, all the adjustments felt so crisp and precise, it felt like I was playing with a brain surgeon's tool lol. Way out of my price range though ($1500). Sure would make someone a nice SDM/PRS scope. http://www.valdada.com/product/a2655...28d8b0c8b.aspx
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ok, just updating for everyone. I did order a XTR 1-4. I ordered it from MidwayUSA for $599, and it got here in three days.. It arrived 2 days ago, but I have not yet mounted it yet. There's a problem. I am posting this, to let everyone know that I am going to post a very detailed review on both this scope, Burris' customer/warranty service, and the Talbot mount I am going to use with it.. When I first opened this scope 2 days ago, I was just simply amazed by the glass. It is one of the brightest, most light-transmitting scopes I've ever had the pleasure to peer into. I was worried that the XTR 5.56 Ballistic reticle was going to be thick, and fat, a CQC reticle... well, it isn't. It is a very small reticle, with very fine lines, 1 MOA. The illuminated feature works very well for both daytime and night, and never has the bright red "glare ring" around it when the power is up high and you're using it in the dark... I see no need to ever use it past the 3rd power level, as that is bright enough to see clearly in even bright sunlight, but yet isn't too bright even when looking at it in pitch black environments. Again, I want to praise the glass - as it's as good or better than any Leupold, IOR, or Trijicon Accupoint I've ever looked through - I'm even going to go as far as to say that it's as good as the Nightforce NXS 1-4 scopes I've handled at the gun shop, image quality and light-transmission wise.
    Here's where the bad part comes in. I only have 3 bad things to say about this scope.
    1-) The scope comes with some good accessories, like a high quality cloth scope cover with the Burris logo embroidered on it, a battery, and instructions. The part I didn't like was the scope covers... When I spend over $600 on a scope, I expect at least cheap-brand flip-up scope covers... rather than this, Burris has included only a rubber "bikini" style lens cover. They work rather well, as they seem to be made just for this size of scope, and seem to be of high quality - but I am taking this scope into a combat zone, and now, it's just another accessory that I am going to have to buy separately.
    2-) It doesn't have a "power ring". Instead, you turn the entire eyebell to adjust power level.. which means the Burris logo is either on the 3 or 9'o clock position when it's on 1 or 4x. When it's on 2.5x, the logo is on top, at 12'o clock like it should be. This isn't a big deal, but some people might find it annoying.
    3-) My scope came with something wrong with it. When I removed the adjustment caps, I turned the windage adjustment back and forth, adjustments were crisp and precise, with an audible click. Then, I tried the elevation adjustment... When I turn it "down", I get the audible click. When I turn it "up" - I can "feel" it clicking, but it's totally silent. This is more than likely due to excess silicone or waterproofing agent around the cogs, but it could be something more serious. I contacted Burris via e-mail about this, asking if this is "normal"... I then got a response from Burris apoligizing to me for my first experience with an XTR scope, and advising me that a pre-paid box is on it's way for me to ship it back to them, and they are going to send me a brand new scope. I advised them that I needed to have my weapon ready by Sept. 01, and I would appreciate it if they would at least 2-3 day ship it back to me... I have yet to get an answer on this (I only talked with them last about 2 hours ago).. I took a risk buying a scope I haven't heard anything about as far as actual combat usage, and I advised the Burris rep that if he couldn't guarantee me fast shipment, I'd return this scope back to Midway and use the refund towards a Leupold Mk4 MR/T 1.5-5 or a 4x ACOG variant. I'll advise how Burris' customer service/warranty claim service performs. These scopes have "forever" warranties, so we'll see. The rep was extremely polite and didn't treat me like I didn't know what I was talking about, so, thus far, I give them an A+.
    When I get the replacement scope, I will post pics and more detailed review information.

Feedback Score
    I just wanted to say that the I have the trijicon accpoint in 1.5-4x zoom and it is a very accurate scope. The triangle does not make the scope less accurate. Make sure to tune your zero for the very tip of the triangle and it is pin point accurate. When you are at closer ranges the bullet tends to hit around the middle of the triangle which is perfect for chasing moving targets with both eyes open (BAC) on 1.25x zoom. I believe it is the best SPR scope for the money hands down with its extended eye relief and tritium illuminated reticle

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree, the Accupoint is a great scope, but I needed something with some sort of rangefinding reticle, and I may be forced into taking up to 400 yd. shots, and I want a reticle that's more "precise" than the triangle. Accupoints are geared more towards hunting as well, I needed a scope that's built for tactical use, with a thick-walled scope tube to withstand abuse... If Trijicon would make a cheaper ACOG variant, or incorporate more ACOG technology into the Accupoint scopes, like the available reticles, they'd make a killing... but if they did that, ACOG sells would surely suffer, and you know they can't have that lol.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

BURRIS STIFFED ME

Well people, this is my first and LAST experience with Burris optics. I don't remember if I mentioned this, but I needed to get my weapon ready, as I'm leaving for a private security job in Africa, first of Sept. I told Burris this when I e-mailed them, letting them know I was in a very real hurry to get the replacement scope back, and well, this morning, I just got another e-mail from Burris, advising me that I should just send it back to Midway, and let them replace it, because they are "out of stock".. Ya, right. They're just hoping I'll exchange it for another XTR-14, so Midway can do all the work, and I'll have to pay shipping... Well, after I cooled down, I just e-mailed Burris' customer service rep back, and told them that I'd gladly send it back to Midway, but NOT for another Burris. I told them that I should have went with my first instinct and bought an ACOG or Leupold Mk4 MR/T 1.5x5.. and that I will be posting reviews of my Burris experience on all forums I am a member to, as to hopefully educate future buyers. I also told them that they should consider dropping the MSRP down to around $299, as that's all the optic and warranty service is worth, as far as I'm concerned. I mean, a $600 scope is NOT cheap - you'd at least expect everything on it to work!! Today, I was moving the elevation knob (with a penny, too tight to do by hand), back and forth, hoping that if the problem is too much lube on the gears, it might spread out and start clicking when I turn it "up"... after about the 8th time, it TOTALLY lost ALL resistance in the "up" direction!! It still clicks when I turn it down, but now, when I turn it up, it spins as free as ever... so it had more problems than just too much silicone or grease on the cogs. I just got off the phone with Midway, who was happy to refund my money.. so, looks like I'll have to save up a bit more and get a Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 1.5-5x24, or an ACOG of some sort, if I can afford to. Here are some links to pictures I took of the scope and packaging when it arrived - I know, my camera sucks! lol
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...7/XTR-14_1.jpg
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...7/XTR-14_2.jpg
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i.../XTR_556_1.jpg

Whatever optic I end up with, I'll try and post a pre-combat review before I leave, and a post review when I return, with as many pics as I can get away with taking.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Sorry to hear about the bad experience. If you need the low power variable, I still say look into the Accupoint, if you can't afford (or find) a Short-dot. I wouldn't dismiss them as hunting scopes, I bet they're more durable than the Burris. I hate to give 2nd hand info, but IIRC they are in use with military units. Grant has mentioned it before.

I'd give Grant at call at G&R, see if he can sway your worries about durability, and he'll get you good deal on an optic/mount combo.

If Grant is out, Larue has similar pricing on the combo, and either one will make sure you get it ASAP if you need it for deployment.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    I can't imagine you finding anything better for the money than an Accupoint. I have only had mine a week and it already took a hard blow to the side of the scope where the tritium pad sits. There is a dent in the side of the scope and a very minute sign of internal tritium bleeding but everything works flawlessly. not to mention the sight adjustment knobs kick ass on this scope. Fully adjustable and able to Zero by hand, no penny's required...

Unless you can afford a leupold mark 4, or a night force, or a schmidt and bender, stick with the accupoint...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree, the Accupoints are great scopes, there's just 3 reasons I can't make it work easily:
    1 - I can't get used to the reticle, I need to be able to make precision shots up to 400 yds, and need some sort of ranging system preferably.
    2 - I don't like the smaller F.O.V. of the 1" tube.
    3 - My mount is for 30mm scopes (and I don't want to get a different one, I absolutely love this mount).

Man, if Trijicon made an Accupoint with a yellow rangefinding reticle that's on the TA01-NSN, man, that would be a great scope! I don't know what I'll end up with, I'll get my $600 back from Midway, and I have almost 3 weeks (absolute max) to save extra cash - I am wanting an ACOG, a cheaper one, TA01, TA01-NSN, but I'd LOVE a TA31F... but if I can't get enough money in time, I'll have to get whatever I can. I'm going to check out Grant's store right now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast