Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 11-87 Police

Feedback Score

Remington 11-87 Police

I just bought a new Remington 11-87 Police. It has the 7 round extended magazine tube and rifle sights. I don't know much about this model and was wondering how it compares to the 1100. The owners book makes distinctions between interchanging parts with an 1100. I already have an 870 and a Benelli M1S90. I like the 11-87 because it has an 18" barrel and is semi auto. Who can tell me more about this 11-87? Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The 1187 is an improved version of the 1100. Its gas system will handle 3 inch shells. Gun for gun it weighs more than the 1100. This next statement gets me in an argument sometimes: the police version's barrel has gas vents for shooting heavier loads like buckshot, slugs, or 3 inch shells so don't expect your gun to feed anybody's light loads. Remington literature will verify this statement but it's somewhere in the fine print. After your gun is well broken in, it may or may not shoot lighter loads.

Give the chamber a most thorough cleaning with bristle brush followed by 0000 steel wool. Many Remingtons require this treatment even when new. Oh. strip, clean, and lightly lube before use. You'll be removing preservative which is not always a good lube. The red stuff coming off on the cleaning rag is not rust. Anybody's 3 inch ammo is good for break-in.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    The 1187 is an improved version of the 1100. Its gas system will handle 3 inch shells. Gun for gun it weighs more than the 1100. This next statement gets me in an argument sometimes: the police version's barrel has gas vents for shooting heavier loads like buckshot, slugs, or 3 inch shells so don't expect your gun to feed anybody's light loads. Remington literature will verify this statement but it's somewhere in the fine print. After your gun is well broken in, it may or may not shoot lighter loads.

Give the chamber a most thorough cleaning with bristle brush followed by 0000 steel wool. Many Remingtons require this treatment even when new. Oh. strip, clean, and lightly lube before use. You'll be removing preservative which is not always a good lube. The red stuff coming off on the cleaning rag is not rust. Anybody's 3 inch ammo is good for break-in.
    Although I haven't used the 11-87, this is in line with everything I've heard about it and my experience with other blemibgton shotguns. I would pay close attention to the aforementioned chamber treatment.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Thank you, I will be sure to give it a thorough cleaning before shooting it. It feels good and shoulders well with the standard stock. I have a Mesa Tactical pistol grip stock on my 870. As a defensive round I usually use 2 3/4" 00 buck in my 870. That will probably what I use in the 11-87. Any other opinions?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Leave it stock and use big name ammo brands for defense--Federal, Remington, or Winchester. Low recoil buck shot won't function. I don't remember if your barrel has choke tubes, but if it does I suggest using improved cylinder or modified but not full. I'm a life time shotgun guy but will be the first to tell you that your weapon's effective range is 35 yards. Not everybody agrees with this statement; although it will kill at a greater distance, patterns start to diffuse beyond 35 yards. I learned this fact shooting cylinder bore 870 riot guns on paper with somebody else's ammo. At first, I didn't believe it either, and of course there are exceptions. If the other guy is shooting back, exceptions lose their meaning. I must emphasize that I have never been in or come close to being in a gun fight so my off the range experience does not compare to others here who have seen the real thing. If I were a commando, I'd be an arm chair commando. I don't do much other than sit on the front porch, wind my watch, and bitch. I'm also fat. Good luck and don't work on your 1187.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraBG View Post
    I just bought a new Remington 11-87 Police. It has the 7 round extended magazine tube and rifle sights. I don't know much about this model and was wondering how it compares to the 1100. The owners book makes distinctions between interchanging parts with an 1100. I already have an 870 and a Benelli M1S90. I like the 11-87 because it has an 18" barrel and is semi auto. Who can tell me more about this 11-87? Thanks
    What are the 11-87 Police going for nowadays, if you don't mind me asking?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    About the mag extension. Correct reassembly requires a specific sequence when reinstalling the two parts. Perhaps one of our l.e. armorers will provide the right info. Years ago I had the factory extension on an 870, loaded it, and months later I checked the ammo. Two had compressed enough that a ring formed above the rim area that prevented feeding and chambering. Ammo was Win. l.e., which in this example was defective. Mag spring pressure distorted the shells.

1187s are heavier than 1100s. With a fully loaded extended mag, you may find the balance to be unwieldly. In your rig if feeding problems occur, check the extended mag, which I consider to be a weak link. All won't agree here.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Low recoil buck shot won't function.
    This doesn't mirror our experience with 11-87's using Federal LE 132 00 and LE 127 RS; don't know about other ammo but they also guzzle good quality (not value pack) light loads.

They do be heavy though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    About the mag extension. Correct reassembly requires a specific sequence when reinstalling the two parts. Perhaps one of our l.e. armorers will provide the right info. Years ago I had the factory extension on an 870, loaded it, and months later I checked the ammo. Two had compressed enough that a ring formed above the rim area that prevented feeding and chambering. Ammo was Win. l.e., which in this example was defective. Mag spring pressure distorted the shells.

1187s are heavier than 1100s. With a fully loaded extended mag, you may find the balance to be unwieldly. In your rig if feeding problems occur, check the extended mag, which I consider to be a weak link. All won't agree here.
    The Remington extended magazine tube is removed as a unit (end cap and extension) and installed as individual pieces - end cap, then extension. IIRC it is to ensure the end cap is fully seated and retained by the detent ball before screwing in the extension.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm very likely out of date with my observation on their gas ports/light loads. Sounds like they now have the same set up as "regular" 1187s.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast