Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your ready vehicle

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Gore, VA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bald Mountain Jeep trail in Craig county.

Feedback Score
    Ready vehicle? My daily basic 4 dr sedan is my ever-ready vehicle!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Baldgui View Post
    Ready vehicle? My daily basic 4 dr sedan is my ever-ready vehicle!
    Surely it has armor plating, ejection seat, rockets, etc tho right?!!?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by irondude View Post
    As of yesterday mine is now a 2016 4Runner trail premium. I have wanted one for quite some time and finally pulled the trigger.
    I have a 2015 4-Runner Trail Edition, and let me tell you A-TRAC is where it's at! I found A-TRAC better than a rear locker for getting out of jams. Most people would be very surprised at just how capable a stock 4x4 really is. Add something like A-TRAC to it and it will go places that will shock you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipper78 View Post
    I have a 2015 4-Runner Trail Edition, and let me tell you A-TRAC is where it's at! I found A-TRAC better than a rear locker for getting out of jams. Most people would be very surprised at just how capable a stock 4x4 really is. Add something like A-TRAC to it and it will go places that will shock you.
    Ignorant question here... But since I am not very familiar with the different type of 4x4s, especially on Toyota.. The 4 runner limited is all time 4WD from what I understand. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this and why would they do this in the limited and no other 4runners? I assume it's not as good off road as the trails.. I do have a HL switch and all but not sure why it's full time. Dumb question, I know...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
    Ignorant question here... But since I am not very familiar with the different type of 4x4s, especially on Toyota.. The 4 runner limited is all time 4WD from what I understand. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this and why would they do this in the limited and no other 4runners? I assume it's not as good off road as the trails.. I do have a HL switch and all but not sure why it's full time. Dumb question, I know...
    Not a dumb question at all. The 4-runner limited is the luxury version of the different trim packages. They have some different exterior features that may hurt the ground clearance as compared to an SR-5 or Trail Edition. I've never been in one myself but from what I understand is that the full time 4x4 is more of an all wheel drive and the 4hi knob is to lock the center differential to make it true 4x4. I'm not sure if hey have a low range or not. You said that you had a 4hi switch so I assume you're asking about your own 4Runner? If that's the case spend some time on t4r.org. It's basically the 4Runner equivalent of this forum. Lots of very knowledgeable and helpful people.
    As far as 4x4 capability ALOT of that has to do with the driver. I've seen guys in stock 4x4's wheel with guys in modded out rigs and keep up. They didn't go as fast and they had to be a lot more careful, but with a little skill a stock 4x4 is much more capable than people imagine.
    We always preach to people around here to get training for the different things we are into, such as pistol classes and carbine classes and such, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go get some training in off roading as well. Especially if you plan to bug out in a 4x4. If you look on the different off roading or overlanding forums you can find all types of training. I've even seen classes for subarus. Just something to consider.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When you get to my age, you forget about a bug-out bag or vehicle, you just "bug in".

Feedback Score
    Not a dumb question at all. The 4-runner limited is the luxury version of the different trim packages. They have some different exterior features that may hurt the ground clearance as compared to an SR-5 or Trail Edition. I've never been in one myself but from what I understand is that the full time 4x4 is more of an all wheel drive and the 4hi knob is to lock the center differential to make it true 4x4. I'm not sure if hey have a low range or not. You said that you had a 4hi switch so I assume you're asking about your own 4Runner? If that's the case spend some time on t4r.org. It's basically the 4Runner equivalent of this forum. Lots of very knowledgeable and helpful people.
    As far as 4x4 capability ALOT of that has to do with the driver. I've seen guys in stock 4x4's wheel with guys in modded out rigs and keep up. They didn't go as fast and they had to be a lot more careful, but with a little skill a stock 4x4 is much more capable than people imagine.
    We always preach to people around here to get training for the different things we are into, such as pistol classes and carbine classes and such, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go get some training in off roading as well. Especially if you plan to bug out in a 4x4. If you look on the different off roading or overlanding forums you can find all types of training. I've even seen classes for subarus. Just something to consider.
    Thanks great info. Correct, I have the 15' limited and it has a 4W High and Low knob. Which locks the center differential as you said. I still am not sure why the limited would have the AWD vs the regular RWD (and 4x4).. It just seemed odd to me that only that one addition would have such a large difference vs other versions but for what benefit if they all have 4x4 for certain conditions.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
    Thanks great info. Correct, I have the 15' limited and it has a 4W High and Low knob. Which locks the center differential as you said. I still am not sure why the limited would have the AWD vs the regular RWD (and 4x4).. It just seemed odd to me that only that one addition would have such a large difference vs other versions but for what benefit if they all have 4x4 for certain conditions.
    Cause for whatever reason Toyota thinks all wheel drive is a luxury item, and the limited is the top of the line 4-runner. All wheel drive is better than two wheel drive. And true four wheel drive is better than all wheel in rougher terrain.

Just be thankful you aren't in a fourth gen 4-runner. They had all kinds of trim levels and transfer case and engine options.

Feedback Score
    Cause for whatever reason Toyota thinks all wheel drive is a luxury item, and the limited is the top of the line 4-runner. All wheel drive is better than two wheel drive. And true four wheel drive is better than all wheel in rougher terrain.

Just be thankful you aren't in a fourth gen 4-runner. They had all kinds of trim levels and transfer case and engine options.
    Gotcha. But is it correct to say that when I put it in "low" it locks the diff and I essentially have 4WD that is essentially the same as the other models? (all else equal - not referring to other factors such as ground clearance, suspension, etc).

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast