Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VP9 diagnosis?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As others have said, I think you are riding the slide release. If you can, try a larger sized backstrap to put more distance between your finger and the slide release.

Feedback Score
    Riding the slide release is the most likely issue. I have a P30 that I have put close to 20k on and every once in awhile under high stress I will ride the release.

I put 2k on my VP9 and had it happen a couple of times before I sold it.

The VP9/P30 are both a little touchy on this issue. HK has a short release available for the P30 that clears up its issue and ome will come for the VP9 as well.

Glock got that one right IMO.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    -Inspect the slide stop and notch for peening or deformation?

-Could it be cheap/weak ammo at fault? Does recoil seem consistent and sufficiently strong? Try hotter ammo?

-Compare all your mags with one another and ensure the followers are all matching height, angle, etc.

-If you've detail stripped the gun lately, make sure you reassembled the slide stop properly. This same problem occurred with one of my Glocks when I accidentally put the slide stop spring OVER the pin, rather than under it.

-A long shot, but maybe carbon buildup somewhere weird could be causing the issue?
    Inspected. I didn't see anything.

Mags look consistent

Never detail stripped to date

Was using cheap PMC range ammo, so tried a few mags of hotter CCW ammo also.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    What ammo were you shooting? Was it cheap, under-powered range fodder?
    Yes, but also tried some quality hot stuff to see if that was the issue

Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    A detail strip may be in order. Will, you weren't limp whisting that 15th round were you?
    Can't be ruled out!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    As others have said, I think you are riding the slide release. If you can, try a larger sized backstrap to put more distance between your finger and the slide release.
    As that seems to be the consensus, I'll pay special attention to that. I was shooting the Shield prior to, and perhaps changing guns altered my grip just enough to cause that where it hadn't happened in the past.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Riding the slide stop is probably a good guess.

I am bad about doing this with my older SIG pistols and have to really watch my grip. With the SIGs and many HKs, you simply cannot grip them overly high like you do with a Glock. I am bad about that since the G17 and G19 are my primary shooters. From what I have read and heard from other shooters...it is very common to do this.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post

I am bad about doing this with my older SIG pistols and have to really watch my grip. With the SIGs and many HKs, you simply cannot grip them overly high like you do with a Glock. I am bad about that since the G17 and G19 are my primary shooters. From what I have read and heard from other shooters...it is very common to do this.
    In retrospect, having had shot the little Shield with a high tight grip before the HK, it may have altered my grip just enough to do that where it had not before. I'll find out next range day hopefully.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post

I am bad about doing this with my older SIG pistols and have to really watch my grip. With the SIGs and many HKs, you simply cannot grip them overly high like you do with a Glock.
    This is what caused me to stay away from the otherwise excellent and consistent PPQ. I love the grip, but a high grip means possible interference with the slide stop/release. The potential for this scares me, as I always figured I'd buy the gun, and shoot it about 500 rounds before realizing its 'not the gun for me'. I'd rather have a gun that never locked back instead of one that does 99%. Thus, I have MPs and a G19 w/GFA. A fat right hand is my other problem. Glock bite and HP bite. Smith is fine.

Feedback Score
    A lot of guys roll the right thumb on the outside of the left thumb knuckle. It is much harder with that grip style to grab at the slide release with the right thumb.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by armtx77 View Post
    A lot of guys roll the right thumb on the outside of the left thumb knuckle. It is much harder with that grip style to grab at the slide release with the right thumb.
    This is what I had to start doing when I started shooting my PPQ. After shooting 4 or 5 mags with consistent failure to lock back I realized it was me and made the necessary correction to my grip. Hasn't been a problem for me since. YMMV.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    See if it locks back consistently firing strong hand only. If it does, it is most likely your grip with the support hand.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast