Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mount selection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Mount selection

I'm building a recce and plan on using a Vortex PST 1-4x24, what mount should I go with? I'm new to the precision shooting thing. I don't want to pay a ton, its more for fun so I'm looking at $150 or less.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    May be a few buck more, you can find them on sale though, American Defense mount if you are looking QD. I like my Larue just doesn't lock up as solid as my AD.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I was also looking at the ADM. Just not sure if I need the qd, the scope will probably never come off, I'm mainly debating between the ADM and Vortex, there's about a $70 difference. If it's worth the extra money I'll spend it, just curious of what the extra money will get me.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If you are not looking for QD, then I would not focus too heavily on the AD. There are many good sets of rings/mounts out there.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Aero Precision makes a nice non qd mount in 1" & 30mm. The Burris PEPR is quite popular and you can pick one up for $80 or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    Just because you're necessary doesn't mean you're important.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How do you shoot? Nose to charging handle or not?

Pepr is good. But it's up high over 1.6" if you like a low cheek weld there are better choices. If the optic has less than 4" relief and you run a long length of pull you can't get it back far enough either with a buis or offset rear sight.

Leupolds mark 2 mount is $89 I Amazon. If you don't need qd, its 1.4" high, slick on the left side for sling carry comfort with just a t shirt.

Lots of ring choices. The aero looks good too, it's 1.5" high.

Armalite makes a really low mount too for that $80 range.

If you have to have qd, skies the limit. Lots of choices there.

For you, I'd pick either a pepr or a mark 2 IMS, or an aero extended. Depends on how you hold you gun as to which.

If you need qd then pick your flavor.
    Last edited by cbx; 06-27-15 at 01:14.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I don't shoot ntch, maybe an inch or two back from it. I prefer a lower height. The leupold looks pretty good.

Feedback Score
    YHM extended riser with Vortex Tactical low rings. It is lower than just about any one piece mount out there, and was the perfect solution for cheek weld and eye relief for me. It is also very light.

"This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have been very pleased with the Warne ring mounts. Mine are the EX.High, QD mounts, but you can get them any height, and with or without the QD.
    Price on mine was around $65.00

EB200D36-0406-487B-B21A-8FDE4F15E404_zpssc04cm9q.jpg

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matt86 View Post
    I don't shoot ntch, maybe an inch or two back from it. I prefer a lower height. The leupold looks pretty good.
    uploadfromtaptalk1435383832141.jpg

Here's what a mark 2 ims looks like mounted.

I've ran it for about a month now. I really like the lower weld than the pepr. But then again this is a 3-9 optic. For the 1-4 it may not be enough relief. That depends on where you run the stock and where you put your head. The ims barely clears the buis, but those are going away soon and getting offset mbus.

I think if it came down to if you needed more height and relief than the ims for a more run and gun weapon, than a marksman type weapon, without spending over 100$ i'd go with the aero. Qd is nice, but re zeroing kinda sucks in my opinion.

Height/relief was my main factor, slick left side for being slung tight to my chest second, price third, and unobstucted turret view was last. It does look a bit dated compared to some of the other mounts.

Just a thought, but if you have a good store around, they'll probably kery you mount try different mounts.
    Last edited by cbx; 06-27-15 at 01:12.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast