Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Importance of an adjustable gas block in a 308 build?

Feedback Score

Importance of an adjustable gas block in a 308 build?

I'm putting a build list together for a 308 and I see a lot of people putting adjustable gas blocks in their builds. Some say it is to minimize felt recoil, some say it is to fine tune that amount of gas that the gun operates on. My question is, is an adjustable gas block a must have for a 308? I don't care about the recoil, I'm more concerned with under/over gas issues.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If I was to build again or another upper, without a doubt I would use another adjustable GB. Specifically the Syrac based on fit, finish, ease of use and rigidity when installed.
    Use of the adj GB takes any guess work or gas port issues out of the equation.
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 06-17-15 at 14:26.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    A buddy built an LR-308 that was over gassed. It was beating up the brass pretty bad. An adjustable gas block made it much more fun to shoot and the extractor isn't trying to rip the butt off the casings. I put one on my LR-243 and found out that I really didn't need it. Alot just depends on your barrel gas port, length of the gas system and how hot of rounds you are running in it.

If you you have another gas block, I would suggest giving it a try before you spend another $100 on a block you may not need.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    An adjustable gas block is a must have with any platform/caliber. With the wide range of gas ports (in and out of spec) and ammo it just makes sense.
    There's only so much you can adjust with springs and weights - if you have a wildly over gassed barrel that's the only way to tame it.
    Why anyone would refuse the ability to adjust the one factor that controls the function of the gun - at a mere extra $50 or so is beyond me.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polydeuces View Post
    An adjustable gas block is a must have with any platform/caliber. With the wide range of gas ports (in and out of spec) and ammo it just makes sense.
    There's only so much you can adjust with springs and weights - if you have a wildly over gassed barrel that's the only way to tame it.
    Why anyone would refuse the ability to adjust the one factor that controls the function of the gun - at a mere extra $50 or so is beyond me.
    Some people feel that more moving parts, more sources of failure. Adjustable gas blocks have been known to give out for one reason or another.

Feedback Score
    If you have a over-gassed problem, an adjustable block will fix it. If you don't have a problem, you don't have a problem...

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Fwiw-most barrels are overgased. They have to be in order to function reliably with every type of ammo.
    Unless they are set up for a particular ammo/pressure.
    Very few are.
    I only know of one-which doesnt mean there arent more.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    If you ever plan on suppressing it, an adjustable gas block will allow you to turn the gas down with the can on. I am looking at getting a DPMS GII in the near future, and i'll be getting an adjustable gas block for shooting suppressed.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input everybody. As of right now, I have no intentions of suppressing it. It will primarily be a long(ish) range gun with some coyote hunting mixed in there. I'm leaning towards the adjustable gas block.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I just tore my DMR down for a cerakote job. I had a Wilson Combat adjustable gas block, which unquestionably is the WORST gas block in the known universe... So I came here a lookin' for an answer to the question: "Should I stick with an adjustable gas block on my DMR, 308 w/ 18" barrel, which will most often run an SDN-6?" (Obviously not a Wilson Combat)
    I have an SLR S7 on my 11.5 and SPR. I'm thinking yes. Does anyone have any other thoughts on this since the was posted 2 years ago?

I'm thinking an adjustable gas block is a good preventative measure.

I know the SLR Sentry 7, I also have seen a Superlative Arms on Rainier Arms with very good reviews...

Thoughts - Any other thoughts on the matter in the two years since this was originally posted?
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast