Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Explanation of Co-Witness

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    An absolute co-witness means that when you look through your iron sights and optic your front sight post appears dead center in your optic with the red dot on the tip.

A lower third (sometimes called a SOCOM) co-witness does the same as above except in the lower third of the optic. You can slightly raise your head position and just view the dot.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    To add just a bit of clarity (I hope).

If a "normal" height mount gives an absolute co-witness then you raise the optic just a smidgen to obtain a "1/3" co-witness.
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    An absolute co-witness means that when you look through your iron sights and optic your front sight post appears dead center in your optic with the red dot on the tip.

A lower third (sometimes called a SOCOM) co-witness does the same as above except in the lower third of the optic. You can slightly raise your head position and just view the dot.

So on absolute will the red dot be literally on the tip or resting on the tip?

and if i raise my head won't the dot go further down the front sight?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ballsout View Post
    So on absolute will the red dot be literally on the tip or resting on the tip?

and if i raise my head won't the dot go further down the front sight?
    An absolute means the sights align with the dot in the dead center of the optic. A lower third co-witness means the sights align with the dot in the lower third of the optic. The red dot will always sit on the tip of your front sight if you are looking through your rear. Remember that optics like the Aimpoint are parallax free, so as long as you can see the dot anywhere in the optic you are going to make your hits.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Is this correct?

IF it is then is does the optic sit higher since the dot would be in the lower 1/3 of the optic?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    think i got it.

in what circumstances would one be better over the other. absolute vs 1/3

and last questions: Does that mean a 1/3 co witness optic will actually sit higher than absolute? Will a added spacer make your optic 1/3 OR is it for going from 1/3 to absolute?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ballsout View Post
    in what circumstances would one be better over the other. absolute vs 1/3
    A lot of it is personal preference. I would say that 1/3 co-witness has all the advantages but none of the drawbacks. Your normal sight picture with the red dot will be less cluttered. On the other hand, I find it *slightly* more cluttered using the irons through the 1/3 co-witnessed optic, but not so much as to undo the value of having the red-dot more visible to me.

and last questions: Does that mean a 1/3 co witness optic will actually sit higher than absolute? Will a added spacer make your optic 1/3 OR is it for going from 1/3 to absolute?
    Yes, the 1/3 co-witnessed optic will have to sit slightly higher. Some mounting systems do this by just being designed taller (Larue's mounts for example). Others, like the ARMS mount, use a spacer added into the body of the mount to change the height.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    Some people find the sight picture on their RDS "cluttered" and others don't. If you're heads-up with both eyes open, focused on the target or threat and superimpose the red dot, you get hits. Some of us find the sight is nothing more than a obscure blur. I don't even see it anymore unless I focus on the front sight. YMMV. Neither is right or wrong, but a matter of preference.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I decided to merge multiple threads discussing this concept and to tack this new combined thread since the question comes up so often.

Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 07-21-08 at 02:29.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast