Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Level 2 holsters

Feedback Score

Level 2 holsters

So I have been thinking about getting a level 2 retention holster for training on my war belt rig. I know there are some out there but I feel like I am looking for something that doesn't exist. I want a kydex thumb break (not spring loaded hoods) for a glock 19 with x300u and rmr. With all my struggles in finding one I pose the question, is a level 2 holster necessary? I have not had a gun fall out of my open top holster but it's always on my mind which is not good. Valid concern? Do I need to relax on this? Have any of you all lost a pistol in training? Opinions please. Got any good custom options?

Feedback Score
    RCS does have that option in their custom line,:

Another option is to use a lanyard. I use a retractable one from GearKeeper one to minimize snagging.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 06-19-15 at 19:52.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Pardon my ignorance but I can't fine the custom line on their website. Where is it burried on the website? I already have a phantom so this would be ideal.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Safariland is a no go for you? The hood has to be rotated. It's not spring loaded.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Your setup would be just fine in a standard RCS holster. That pull the dot strap looks like a terrible idea to me. Those things can be finicky if the little ring inside gets spun around enough to change the tension on the snap.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link defaultmp3. Not really keen on the rotational hoods either. The dot buttons are the farthest I want to go with mechanics. I hear you nightstalker about the buttons. I have had some old buttons on old kevlars be a real bitch. But they were real old. I assume the life of the button must be pretty long. Plus I don't need to strap it down unless I see the need. Still not 100% sold on my thought process though. Appreciate all the input guys.

Feedback Score
    I will say this: for overt retention, if ALS is an option, ALS should be the answer. And the best part is, the Glock 17 with an X300U is one of the very few models that Safariland makes an optic compatible ALS holster, the 6354DO. It is very intuitive, and adds basically zero time to one's draw. Depending on how your RMR is mounted, you might have to do some sanding of the ALS mechanism, but it's almost a trivial mod. It's definitely the path I'd take if I were looking for retention for your Glock.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 06-19-15 at 21:50.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I run black hawk and Safariland lvl 2 and threes.

I second the als system its glass smooth and reliable.

If I may ask what is your apprehension to mechanical retention?

Black hawks are also very fast and smooth but not as as nice on the weapon, limited light options unless you go with the new lvl three epoch

Feedback Score
    I have concerns of debris getting into the mechanism preventing the operation of it. For example bush whacking thru the woods and vines or the like getting in there. Or alternatively gravel/mud getting in. The likelihood is a bit of a stretch I know but there is the possibility.

Edit: I did some research on the ALS system. It looks like its just a single short bar that grabs onto a section of the pistol. Not bad as that it minimal mechanics as well. I will jump on their we sight and see if they have all the options I need available.
    Last edited by Blacked_Out; 06-20-15 at 06:18.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast