Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Be careful out there...Point Blank Thigh wound from 55gr .223

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    The problem with anecdotes is it takes one, or a couple interactions into account. Hunt for a while and you realize each animal reacts differently. Same with people. One might collapse from a non-fatal chest wound from a pistol. Another will take multiple fatal rifle rounds to the chest and keep fighting for a few seconds.

Thats why scientific gel data, and police shooting data is needed to find out what you can really expect. These also have confirmed hits. A person overseas might believe a good hit, but without an autopsy you don't really know what the bullet did.
    Having been in plenty of fights in the line of duty, I'll extend this logic to fighting... and have found it to be true in that context as well.

I'm 248, I power lift, and I'm built like a linebacker. I've hit large people in the face and collapsed their orbital, knocking them out cold. I've hit much smaller individuals just as hard (or harder), and there were literally unphased, shaking off the strike like a dog so much as shakes off a slap on the snout.

There's HUGE variability in the vast array of human machines we encounter.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    I don't know. Until I see a moderator say this happened, I don't really believe it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    More like this marine missed entirely and blames the round. I highly doubt he got multiple ineffective headshots. I mean he couldn't have possibly missed since every marine is a rifleman right?
    I agree that a pill through the processor is not generally something a bloke can shake off. I didn't have any trouble with 5.56 NATO when I had to use it.

However I can attest to the fact in combat you're only going to hit half as often as you did on your worst qualifier while you were hungover.

-S.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Not all FMJ is the same either, I'd imagine 55gr .223 Tula wouldn't frag as that distance and considering the type of individual that did this... yeah.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm super skeptical when I hear someone talk about a buddy or uncle who had horrible experiences with the 5.56. I know a decent amount of guys who have used it in combat, both Army and Marine, and have never heard of any of these first hand accounts.

Well except for that one guy in my unit who could barely qual at the range but is certain that he hit the running bad guy at 200+ yards that was only exposed for 2 seconds, then blamed the "weak 5.56" when the bad guy didn't face plant in the middle of the road.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Guy is just lucky he didn't catch it in the femoral. Wouldn't have made it to the car. Some people have to learn the hard way I guess.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMW89 View Post
    Guy is just lucky he didn't catch it in the femoral. Wouldn't have made it to the car. Some people have to learn the hard way I guess.
    That depends.

If the guy could torq it off quick enough, he might buy himself a few minutes to get to help.

-S.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple Leaf pilgrim View Post
    That depends.

If the guy could torq it off quick enough, he might buy himself a few minutes to get to help.

-S.
    Agreed

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm the OP...he had probably a 28 inch thigh, he's not putting a tourniquet around that thing. He's very lucky that he didn't bleed to death.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acjones20 View Post
    This falls into the "I have to see it to believe it" category...I've personally seen 5.56 take a 580lb guys leg off when he was hit in the knee...granted this was under 50 yards, but I don't buy the "I hit a 90lb guy in the head w/ 5.56 and he just laughed at me"...deer hunters say the same thing about 308. I think most of the time they missed the deer that "I shot broadside and he just ran away". They usually say this after buying 300 win mag for white tail.
    580lb... this was a human? He could walk?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast