Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on building a pistol and then making it an SBR

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Questions on building a pistol and then making it an SBR

Looking for some help from the experts and experianced.
    I'm pretty sure this is the right forum because the end goal off the pistol lower is SBR.

There's a lot of info on this on the other site but the conversations got stupid real quick and I just don't trust it.

I'll be moving from NC to SC in less than a year. I'd like to build a SBR but I know it's kind of a pain with the move happening soon.

I'd like to build a Pistol lower and then SBR it later (year or two) once I'm settled.

Now I understand you can take a stripped lower that has been transfered as "other" and make it a pistol? Do I have to register it as a pistol separatly? In NC you need a purchase permit for pistols. I've already recived it and built the rifle. Could I "Rebuild" It?

If it's too late for that lower I'll buy another. No big deal.

Looking online I saw PSA has built pistol lower and Grant has BCM pistol lowers. Could I buy a complete BCM blem lower from Grant for less than a BCM pistol lower and then convert it to a pistol lower before adding the upper? It wouldn't come with the pistol RE but it's cheaper and I'd have an extra RE for when the SBR time comes.

Now if I build a pistol lower and throw stock and a 16 inch upper on it, is that legal?

Lastly, when does the lower become a pistol? When it leave the manufacturer or when it gets transfered from your FFL to you?

Will it ever be an issue to turn that Pistol lower into an SBR'd lower?
    What ever insight you guys have would be appreciated.
    Thank you

Feedback Score
    I had no problems going from pistol lower to SBR. I just waited until the stamp came back and bought/installed the stock. I used it as the pistol for a few months while waiting on the stamp.

Stripped lowers *should* always be transferred as 'other' and what you do with it after that is up to you. If the dealer marked 'rifle' on the form then you're stuck. If it has ever been built as a rifle or transferred as a rifle, it can never legally become a pistol, as far as I know. So even if you build it as a pistol, if you put a 16" upper and a stock on it, technically you cannot go back.

Unless you have to register it after it's built (state/local law and/or SBR'ing it), it never officially becomes anything; unless it was transferred to you as either a pistol or rifle to begin with.

IANAL and YMMV

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Not really following what you are asking. Much of what I see has been discussed here numerous times. Lowers are transferred as "others". Not sure what you mean by register, since there is no requirement to register firearms except in certain states.

a stripped lower is nothing until you make into something. It's virtually impossible for anyone to track a lower. If you built it into a pistol and then converted it into a rifle, no one would know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsop View Post
    Looking for some help from the experts and experianced.
    I'm pretty sure this is the right forum because the end goal off the pistol lower is SBR.

There's a lot of info on this on the other site but the conversations got stupid real quick and I just don't trust it.

I'll be moving from NC to SC in less than a year. I'd like to build a SBR but I know it's kind of a pain with the move happening soon.

I'd like to build a Pistol lower and then SBR it later (year or two) once I'm settled.

Now I understand you can take a stripped lower that has been transfered as "other" and make it a pistol? Do I have to register it as a pistol separatly? In NC you need a purchase permit for pistols. I've already recived it and built the rifle. Could I "Rebuild" It?

If it's too late for that lower I'll buy another. No big deal.

Looking online I saw PSA has built pistol lower and Grant has BCM pistol lowers. Could I buy a complete BCM blem lower from Grant for less than a BCM pistol lower and then convert it to a pistol lower before adding the upper? It wouldn't come with the pistol RE but it's cheaper and I'd have an extra RE for when the SBR time comes.

Now if I build a pistol lower and throw stock and a 16 inch upper on it, is that legal?

Lastly, when does the lower become a pistol? When it leave the manufacturer or when it gets transfered from your FFL to you?

Will it ever be an issue to turn that Pistol lower into an SBR'd lower?
    What ever insight you guys have would be appreciated.
    Thank you

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I'll be honest, I've read so many conflicting statements about how it works. As far as registering the lower, in N. You need a purchase permit for pistols. I thought that ment they register it to you.

If I was to transfer in a complete lower, with a standard RE and stock, could I make that a pistol lower?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    ........................If I was to transfer in a complete lower, with a standard RE and stock, could I make that a pistol lower?
    Yes, as long as 1). it was not first built as a rifle and 2). you remove the stock before building a pistol. It is easier to document that you bought a lower that was not built as a rifle when you buy new from a vendor. It could be hard to verify when you buy used or from an individual.
    Last edited by DWood; 06-22-15 at 11:12.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    I'll be honest, I've read so many conflicting statements about how it works. As far as registering the lower, in N. You need a purchase permit for pistols. I thought that ment they register it to you.
    In NC you need a PPP or CHP to buy a handgun. However, a lower is not a handgun, it's an other firearm. You have to be 21 to buy one from a dealer because it could be built into a pistol, but that doesn't make it a pistol. There's no registration as far as that goes. They know who they issued PPPs to, and a dealer will keep them but an individual seller doesn't have to keep them.

...and as mentioned above, a "complete" lower is still an "other" firearm. So, you can remove the stock and it will still be initially configured as a pistol.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DWood View Post
    Yes, as long as 1). it was not first built as a rifle and 2). you remove the stock before building a pistol. It is easier to document that you bought a lower that was not built as a rifle when you buy new from a vendor. It could be hard to verify when you buy used or from an individual.
    So no specific paperwork or registrations have to be done to it for it to be made a pistol?
    But if I bought a complete rifle that lower could never be a pistol. I think I get what you guys are saying.
    The last thing I want to do is try to build a gun legally only be become a criminal just buy making a mistake.

I'll call a local gun store and ask if I'd need a purchase permit for a pistol lower. Coming from NY I never really trust what the gun stores have to say regarding laws.

Feedback Score
    So no specific paperwork or registrations have to be done to it for it to be made a pistol?
    But if I bought a complete rifle that lower could never be a pistol. I think I get what you guys are saying.
    The last thing I want to do is try to build a gun legally only be become a criminal just buy making a mistake.

I'll call a local gun store and ask if I'd need a purchase permit for a pistol lower. Coming from NY I never really trust what the gun stores have to say regarding laws.
    No specific paperwork or registration to make it a pistol.

You shouldn't need a PPP for a pistol lower. There's technically no such thing as a pistol lower, but I know what you're asking.

It's been said multiple times, but I'll say it again (as a 40+ year NC resident). A lower, whether stripped, built with a stock, or built without a stock...it's an "other firearm" on a 4473. That's why no PPP is required. The only thing that relates it to a pistol is you have to be 21 to buy one from a dealer, as opposed to 18 for a long gun.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Too much thinking happening here. All the answers have been provided.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Too much thinking happening here. All the answers have been provided.
    Haha yes they have. I apreciate it guys. It's a lot more simple than I thought. I was thinking it was a bunch of legal shady area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast