Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't believe everything you read (Pic added)

Feedback Score

Don't believe everything you read (Pic added)

I decided to build a Gen 2 Noveske with a 10.5" barrel.
    I happened to find a used Noveske CHF barrel on another forum.
    This is a direct quote from the ad.
    "-Noveske 5.56mm 10.5 barrel with Gas block. Good condition. Gas tube has exterior carbon build up and can use a solvent bath, as well as gas block. Excellent cycling pressure. Barrel interior looks outsntanding and has only seen 5000 rounds of factory federal green tip."

From reading many threads on this barrel the consensus is that it has a large gas port and is over gassed (0.082").
    Most people recommend an H2 buffer and Wolf extra power spring, or Springco blue spring.

I loaded up some Hornady 55gr FMJ with various loads that run well in my Noveske Afghan and also brought along some Norinco 55gr 5.56 which are quite hot.
    All ammo was confirmed to run in the 14,5" Afghan without failure.

In the 10.5" I was unable to get the bolt to lock back with any of the 4 different hand loads or the Norinco 5.56.
    I then tried all the ammo with a standard carbine spring trying all the different buffer weights with no success.
    I had my suspicions about the gas tube which came with the barrel but since I didnt have a spare I thought I would give it a try.

Upon returning home I ordered a new gas tube and once it arrived I went back to the range and confirmed proper functioning with all ammo.
    The condition of the barrel itself was excellent and it printed very nice groups.

Here is a pic of the gas tube next to the one in my Afghan which has almost 4,000 rounds through it.

So I guess the moral of the story is take everything with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Thump_rrr; 06-27-15 at 05:44.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I have seen that several times. I suspect part of the issue is a slight misalignment of the carrier key and the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Thump_rrr View Post
    I decided to build a Gen 2 Noveske with a 10.5" barrel.
    I happened to find a used Noveske CHF barrel on another forum.
    This is a direct quote from the ad.
    "-Noveske 5.56mm 10.5 barrel with Gas block. Good condition. Gas tube has exterior carbon build up and can use a solvent bath, as well as gas block. Excellent cycling pressure. Barrel interior looks outsntanding and has only seen 5000 rounds of factory federal green tip."

From reading many threads on this barrel the consensus is that it has a large gas port and is over gassed (0.082").
    Most people recommend an H2 buffer and Wolf extra power spring, or Springco blue spring.

I loaded up some Hornady 55gr FMJ with various loads that run well in my Noveske Afghan and also brought along some Norinco 55gr 5.56 which are quite hot.
    All ammo was confirmed to run in the 14,5" Afghan without failure.

In the 10.5" I was unable to get the bolt to lock back with any of the 4 different hand loads or the Norinco 5.56.
    I then tried all the ammo with a standard carbine spring trying all the different buffer weights with no success.
    I had my suspicions about the gas tube which came with the barrel but since I didnt have a spare I thought I would give it a try.

Upon returning home I ordered a new gas tube and once it arrived I went back to the range and confirmed proper functioning with all ammo.
    The condition of the barrel itself was excellent and it printed very nice groups.

Here is a pic of the gas tube next to the one in my Afghan which has almost 4,000 rounds through it.

So I guess the moral of the story is take everything with a grain of salt.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I have seen that several times. I suspect part of the issue is a slight misalignment of the carrier key and the tube.
    Yeah, I think you're right. To my eye the tube does look slightly askew.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post

Bingo! In the original build, the tube was never adjusted.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    Too many shadows in the photo to be calling the alignment off. Disregard the shadows and it looks very straight.

Feedback Score
    The installed gas tube is not the problem one, the installed gas tube is in his good gun...

The loose (the lower, the one pushed up from the back of the upper) is the one he removed from the barrel he bought. It is not aligned because it is just laying in the charging handle channel. That one is rather worn, the end swell is almost gone.

Feedback Score
    Just to make sure I'm understanding what happened... the end swell is gone, leading to a poor seal between the gas tube and gas key, resulting in an undergassed gun?

Feedback Score
    That's the way I read it....

Probably worn off due to poor alignment when it was on someone else's gun. (and why the other guy sold it to the OP...)
    Last edited by lysander; 06-29-15 at 12:40.

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    Question: Whats the best way to adjust the gas tube? Remove and reinstall or just flex it with something (assuming the gas block is centered)?
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NoveskeFan View Post
    Question: Whats the best way to adjust the gas tube? Remove and reinstall or just flex it with something (assuming the gas block is centered)?
    I hope it's O.K. to link to some great information.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...AND-PROCEDURES

Adjusting the gas tube is the first thing listed.
    "Guns are like neurosurgeons. When you need one, you need one badly."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast