Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the differences between various CHF barrels on the market?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

What are the differences between various CHF barrels on the market?

Like the title states, I'm curious what, besides obviously the profile, are the differences between the commonly available cold hammer forged barrels. From what I understand, there are only a handful of manufacturers that have the equipment to make them, FNH, Daniel Defense, Pacnor, and possibly Knights, although I'm not sure on that. I'm shopping for a medium profile 16" mid gas, and there seems to be at least three companies selling what appear to be the exact same profile CHF barrel, but for significantly different prices. The FNH from Brownells, the BCM BFH, and the Rainer Arms CHF all look very similar if not identical outside the markings. Any info on the known technical differences would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Matt View Post
    Like the title states, I'm curious what, besides obviously the profile, are the differences between the commonly available cold hammer forged barrels. From what I understand, there are only a handful of manufacturers that have the equipment to make them, FNH, Daniel Defense, Pacnor, and possibly Knights, although I'm not sure on that. I'm shopping for a medium profile 16" mid gas, and there seems to be at least three companies selling what appear to be the exact same profile CHF barrel, but for significantly different prices. The FNH from Brownells, the BCM BFH, and the Rainer Arms CHF all look very similar if not identical outside the markings. Any info on the known technical differences would be appreciated.
    GREAT question about something Ive wondered about many times myself. Looking forward to the answers.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    GREAT question about something Ive wondered about many times myself. Looking forward to the answers.
    Due to set up costs of CHF equipment only major manufacturers would be able to realize a return on investment, FN, Daniel Defense, Remington, Ruger to name a few.

Custom barrel makers don't sell enough volume to make in-house CHF, there contracted...

Id look at DD, Centurion And Noveske, I believe all three are offered with pinned gas blocks..

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    To the best of my knowledge, the only companies that commercially sell their barrels on the market are FN. DD obvious makes their in house. but I do not believe that they sell them to other companies to build weapons.

The differences in the barrels are much like anything else. The specs that are requested by the perspective company (HP/MPI, gas port sizing, contour, etc....

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    For barrels that you can actually buy, the differences besides profile? Short answer, not a lot except maybe gas port size.
    I'm pretty sure the two main sources are only going to be Daniel Defense and FN. DD makes theirs in-house to their own specs and QC standards. FN makes hammer forged barrels to the specs and testing standards for a variety of firearms manufacturers/assemblers/parts dealers (BCM, Noveske, Centurion Arms, Rainier Arms, PSA, and more). I could be wrong but I believe that DD form the chamber of their barrels along with the bore in the hammer forging process, and FN barrels are cut with a reamer after forging. Again, not certain on that and not sure if it even makes much difference.

With the FN manufactured barrels supplied by various companies you are getting their respective requested specs, testing, and QC standards. Gas port size is a big deal and so are quality standards, lesser companies may sell every barrel sent to them by FN while better companies will likely reject a percentage of barrels that don't meet their standards.

As far as I know, Pac-nor does NOT make and hammer forged barrels.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Doesn't LWRC and Remington also make CHF barrels in-house? Does KAC?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Doesn't LWRC and Remington also make CHF barrels in-house? Does KAC?
    Unknown on LWRC, but from what I understand KAC gets theirs from Diemaco.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for the info guys. I guess my question now is, what makes the Noveske CHF barrel worth the $150 premium over a $300 BCM barrel that for all practical purposes looks and probably specs identically? I feel like people are paying for the name at that point considering they are both very likely made by FNH.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There could be a lot of things that make up that price difference. Marketing, fixed costs, purchasing volume, specs, type of steel used and finish are just some of the possibilities.

I highly doubt FN makes their barrels the same way for everyone.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Matt View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I guess my question now is, what makes the Noveske CHF barrel worth the $150 premium over a $300 BCM barrel that for all practical purposes looks and probably specs identically? I feel like people are paying for the name at that point considering they are both very likely made by FNH.

Worth the premium is a matter for the individual. Noveske does use the m249 steel, which may or may not be of any tangible value for a semi auto rifle. They also use extra thick chrome lining for longevity. My Centurion 11.5" barrel, while apples to oranges, always pulled slightly tighter groups than my BCM 14.5" BFH upper and the BCM had a SSA-E while the centurion upper had a SSA. To the point is was pointed out by the two guys beside me at a class.

Also like HKGuns said, a lot can go into that. If they require one more QC check or one more pass on a piece of equipment, they are getting charged for that. So it will be passed on to the consumers after they finalize how they are going to word it on their web page.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast