Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About "Accuracy"

Feedback Score
    Lord knows I've chased the zero, thanks for this.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    "The zero is a living organism. It is born/hatched/sprouted only after careful incubation of information.
    Recording data following that "feeds" the zero, keeping it alive and useful."

Ain't that the truth. And once you find the zero, and put it away, when you go back to look for it, it's somewhere else much of the time.

And of course, the better the zero, the more you notice (as in, it "don't shift much" on an iron-sighted AK).

F2S, very good discussion to open. The majority of the time I spend shooting, is from a bench or prone, shooting for groups and checking zeros, and re-friggin'-zeroing. It's a learning curve I am still climbing after many years. The higher I scale this cliff, the foggier it gets, or so it seems sometimes! I do not expect to ever reach the summit and have the Guru reveal the meaning of life so that I can then know it all. I only hope to learn to climb better in each attempt.

Feedback Score
    It's Info like what you provided FailureToStop that keeps me coming back to this website above anything else, Also really got me thinking about how I shoot and after reading it throughly I feel has made me a more well informed shooter. Keep up the good work man.

Feedback Score
    So when shooting from a standing position at 25 yards, what do you guys consider an acceptable pattern? When shooting 10 rounds from my 9 mm AR with 4x glass, I generally keep all 10 shots in a 3" circle and about 2/3 of those shots will be in a 2" group.

FYI, I run a 2.75 lb Elf trigger and a Lantec Compensator.

Here is a slow motion example at 25 Yards with the laser on shooting a 3" circles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqE3FujfT2M

Andy
    Last edited by whittlebeast; 02-27-16 at 22:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Jack, very nice write up.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    THANK YOU!!!
    I've always danced around this subject with my students
    Best explanation I've ever read!
    OUTSTANDING

Feedback Score
    Where's the "like" button on this thread?

Feedback Score
    to echo "Outstanding"
    Thought on the redundancy of Average Mean Radius; I'll bet the Army really meant 'radii'. As in the Average of a large set of Mean Radii measurements [from a large set of shot groups].

Feedback Score
    how accurate is considered to be enough?

Feedback Score
    well, I sure as aitch expect better than 3" at 25 yds, standing unsupported, even from a pistol, much less a carbine. I might settle for 2" at 50 yds, given iron sights and old eyes, with a decent trigger job in a good AR, with good ammo. A lot of the cheap ammo won't group a lot better than that, from the bench and with a scope, especially not from a .30 AK.

How much accuracy is enough is up to you and your skills. I want to be able reliably hit men's heads at 200 yds, bipod and scoped, with my SBR if there's no wind or mirage. Some people want to reliably hit crows or prairie dogs at that distance.
    Last edited by whilst; 11-18-16 at 19:03.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast