Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About "Accuracy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post
    how accurate is considered to be enough?
    Depends on what your doing but from a rested aim position 1 MOA is a good rule of thumb.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post
    how accurate is considered to be enough?
    i did this in the Marines twice... once in boot and then again when qualifying again.. in boot i did 40 out of 40 (during rifle week) on head shots from 500 yards on a full man size target using iron sights, using a m16a2 and when i qualified again a few years later i did all head shots again from 500 yards ( just to see if i could do it again lol )

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TactiCool1976 View Post
    i did this in the Marines twice... once in boot and then again when qualifying again.. in boot i did 40 out of 40 (during rifle week) on head shots from 500 yards on a full man size target using iron sights, using a m16a2 and when i qualified again a few years later i did all head shots again from 500 yards ( just to see if i could do it again lol )
    damn that is good shooting
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

Feedback Score
    I've been getting into carbines lately. Previously, I've always owned full-size ARs. Both of the carbines I have now are very accurate, with one being extremely accurate (under 1/2 MOA so far).

But what I find most disappointing is how much more difficult they are to shoot from field positions than the full size ARs. Offhand is especially maddening. You have to hold these small guns very hard, which makes them harder to hold still.

Accuracy is good, shootability is better.
    Last edited by HelloLarry; 02-01-18 at 11:44.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whittlebeast View Post
    So when shooting from a standing position at 25 yards, what do you guys consider an acceptable pattern?
    20 out of 20 shots within a 6 MOA circle is acceptable from standing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by whittlebeast View Post
    So when shooting from a standing position at 25 yards, what do you guys consider an acceptable pattern?
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloLarry View Post
    20 out of 20 shots within a 6 MOA circle is acceptable from standing
    Holy cow ... I don't know what to say! But now 99% of my shooting is done offhand and if my flintlock smoothbore (no rear sights) muskets can't do better than 5-shot groups in < 3" at that distance ... I go back and work on the load, patching or lube! My most accurate will shoot at least 3-shots touching at that distance.

We aim for 6" groups and better at 50-yards and the national record target, again for a flintlock smoothbore, no rear sight, had all 5-shots cutting into one ragged hole that blew out the X-ring!
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FYI, here’s that 50-yard record target - no rear sight, from a 58-caliber smoothbore flintlock musket:

857F5B3C-397E-4A33-978D-F9D129CFBEF6.jpg
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    I'd call that better than acceptable!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    Holy cow ... I don't know what to say! But now 99% of my shooting is done offhand and if my flintlock smoothbore (no rear sights) muskets can't do better than 5-shot groups in < 3" at that distance ... I go back and work on the load, patching or lube! My most accurate will shoot at least 3-shots touching at that distance.

We aim for 6" groups and better at 50-yards and the national record target, again for a flintlock smoothbore, no rear sight, had all 5-shots cutting into one ragged hole that blew out the X-ring!
    Perhaps i misread your post, but 6moa would be 1.5” at 25yd.

Feedback Score
    First, being rather new, the lead article (I won't even call it a "post") is worth re-reading. That was an exceptional job (and in English, even). Thank you so much for the time it took you to develop that.

Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    And I'll add.... A 1/2 MOA 5 shot group means nothing to me if you have to shoot 100 rounds to get it! All it means is you got lucky. If you want to impress me run a hundred yards in a leisurely 20 seconds and give me a 4 MOA 5 shot group from an improvised rest in 5 seconds with green tips.
    Sir, your post caught my eye because we appear to agree on how subjective a definition of accuracy can be. The funny thing is that I recently did nearly this, although I cheated & didn't use M855. Not long ago at end of a range session I had been policing up brass and then did a brisk walk down to the berm & back to retrieve one of my targets (in my 60's & it was 90 out so that works for me). Then I realized I had a bunch of singles laying around, mix of AE223 and M193. So stuffed them at random into a mag, got down into a quick kneeling with the carbine (irons) and the mid-length (ACOG) and just switched the mag back & forth until no more quarters left to play with. 2 kinds of ammo from 2 guns in quick succession from a field position onto a simple black bull that was hanging down there. All into right at 5 MOA. The target isn't "pretty" but, ya know, it's actually one of my favorite targets because of what it illustrates. Thanks for your thought-provoking comment.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast