Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Valor Ridge (training)?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Thoughts on Valor Ridge (training)?

I came across this video in my YouTube feed. I don't recognize the instructor and hadn't heard of his business before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2t6B1n-kvA

The drills start at about 2:30 if you want to skip over the talking at the beginning of the video.

There are several drills shown in the video where students are placed down range from others during live fire which seems unsafe to me, especially for what from the school's website looks to be an open enrollment level one carbine course.

Especially the stuff at 2:50, 3:03, and 4:24.

But then, I admittedly don't have a ton of experience with that sort of training. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 06-26-15 at 20:49.

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)
    Valor Ridge is founded and run by Reid Hendricks. He used to be with Tactical Response but then broke off to start his own company. I disagree with what you are deeming to be unsafe. You can watch some of Reid Hendricks videos on James Yeagers channel on youtube if you are interested. From what I have seen Reid is all about preserving liberty. Watch his "mindset of the founding fathers" videos.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by black22rifle View Post
    I disagree with what you are deeming to be unsafe.
    You'd be wrong.

Looks like most of the instructor bios are lacking...
    OIF/OEF vet (Ramadi/Hit & Ghazni)
    Former Army infantry squad leader
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    NR-EMT

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeRed30 View Post
    You'd be wrong.

Looks like most of the instructor bios are lacking...
    Well... hope he doesn't ban appendix carry.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Reid is incredibly intelligent and well spoken. You guys should watch some of his other videos. He loved liberty and the 2A.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Reid is incredibly intelligent and well spoken. You guys should watch some of his other videos. He loved liberty and the 2A.
    I just finished watching some of his other videos and I agree, he seems to have an excellent grasp of American history and what the founders intended this country to be. He also seems like he's probably a genuinely nice guy, and he seems to have heavily invested himself in teaching others.

I'm still wondering about the wisdom of having students down range from other students during live fire. Is that something that's commonly done by other instructors?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    I just finished watching some of his other videos and I agree, he seems to have an excellent grasp of American history and what the founders intended this country to be. He also seems like he's probably a genuinely nice guy, and he seems to have heavily invested himself in teaching others.

I'm still wondering about the wisdom of having students down range from other students during live fire. Is that something that's commonly done by other instructors?
    That is something I cannot personally answer if other instructors in more advanced classes do that. I would assume it was advanced classes though.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    That is something I cannot personally answer if other instructors in more advanced classes do that. I would assume it was advanced classes though.
    Rifleman 1 (the course in the video) is described as being appropriate for beginners on the Valor Ridge website. But I guess it's possible he knew everyone in the class and was comfortable with their experience.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 06-26-15 at 21:17.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I didn't see anything I'd consider unsafe. Looks like some overly complicated drills, and a breaking contact exercise, nothing to be alarmed over.

As for keeping all the students "on line" while shooting, unless you're totally cramped for space, I don't see the need to do it perfectly. I've never been to a big name class, but the classes I've been to haven't stressed it. As long as nobody's sweeping the class with their weapon, should be good to go.

Feedback Score
    The drill the students are doing at 4:29 looks really unsafe. I would refuse to participate in that drill if I was student.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast