Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thermold mags

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    No jams, just malfunctions. I would steer clear based off my own use, and the use I've seen of others.
    Does that apply to the Thermold AK mags as well or are they more reliable?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by b_saan View Post
    Does that apply to the Thermold AK mags as well or are they more reliable?

No metal at the front and rear locking tabs. After enough wear, I doubt they'll lock reliably.

I gave up on Thermolds years ago after feed lip cracking and watching how reliably they split down they back seam when dropped fully loaded on any hard surface.
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    I had them issued to me by the US Army (complete with Canadian maple leafs on them) in the early 90s (I think they were some kind of emergency procurement deal during the first Gulf War). Never had any bad experiences with them, but never subjected them to any really hard use, either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    After their general asshattery with previous versions I would not piss on them if they where on fire.
    +1
    Ive got some older preban thermolds that I paid WAY too much for from Bushmaster in the Clinton years.Absolutely unreliable.
    Maybe they have improved I will never know.

Feedback Score
    Thermold products are inferior to the current Pmags by magpul. Forget about them and you will be better off with less issues.

Feedback Score
    Thermold mags are OK if new or in good condition, but there are better options available. During the Clinton years they were sometimes the only new mags to be found in some areas.

Orlite was another polymer mag that has received a bad rap. They were essentially good in their day when new, but during the Clinton era cases of them came from overseas as surplus. They were used, abused & sprayed with thick black paint to make them look better. The trick to running them was to remove the black paint with lacquer thinner & discard those that were cracked or damaged. We made do with what was available.

Now, & for the time being, you have better choices - specifically the Magpul Pmag. Lower priced & more reliable than the others ever were. I still use Thermold & Orlite, but relegate them to practice only. White electrical tape around them helps to locate in the dark when training.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I ran several Thermolds many years ago until I found out the feed lips spread if left loaded with 28 rounds for very long. The 20 rounder was even worse. Freshly loaded they worked pretty well but if left loaded in the gun or pouches for more than a month or so I had feed problems. Go to Magpul and don't look back.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Lightbulb

Thinking I lost my foot locker full of Pre 94 GI mags in 95, I sucked it up and purchased a motley group of mags from various gunshops in my AO for an ungodly sum. Some Thermolds, some Ram Line, some no name, some USA mags...(you get my point) I pissed away all that cash period. The mags all SUCKED, none were reliable at all. The Thermolds would "erupt" when loading the 22nd rnd and cracked at the usual spots(feed lips, bases etc.) The others were horrible in various ways. Lo and behold after a period of time, I found the foot locker hiding in my tool shed where "someone" (me) had put it for safe keeping. Above motley mags were then shitcanned after appropriate mangling took place. Stock up on GI mags, PMags etc while you can, who knows if we will win this election.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12