Thread: 605

Feedback Score

I've had a few builds running here lately but this one may be of interest to some. Starting with a Colt 1/12 M16 barrel cut to 16" and threaded with an old style 3-prong flash hider attached to a non M4 cut upper from Aero precision. I threw a teardrop forward assist on it for nostalgia and had this rifle hand guard in my box of goodies. The lower is your basic $39 Anderson with a PSA build kit and BCG...this one like the last is a range fun gun...the barrel was purchased from Fulton Armory and I had it threaded at Adco. It is a 605 dissipator type carbine with rifle length gas system and she runs like a sewing machine. Hope ya'll enjoy...sorry to the purist' but I wasn't going for a true to form replica.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” W. Churchill

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hill View Post
    I've had a few builds running here lately but this one may be of interest to some. Starting with a Colt 1/12 M16 barrel cut to 16" and threaded with an old style 3-prong flash hider attached to a non M4 cut upper from Aero precision. I threw a teardrop forward assist on it for nostalgia and had this rifle hand guard in my box of goodies. The lower is your basic $39 Anderson with a PSA build kit and BCG...this one like the last is a range fun gun...the barrel was purchased from Fulton Armory and I had it threaded at Adco. It is a 605 dissipator type carbine with rifle length gas system and she runs like a sewing machine. Hope ya'll enjoy...sorry to the purist' but I wasn't going for a true to form replica.
    It does look good even though it is not a 605. Way too many things that are not anywhere near correct for a 605. I am currently in the process of building a 605 clone myself and have already purchased many of the original Colt M16 parts that I need for it. The barrel is going to be the one offered from AR15Sport and it will go to Retro Arms Works to be cut down to the proper length and have the 3-prong FH permanently attached to make it non-NFA compliant. The forge flashing will be removed from the FSB to give it the look like the cast FSB had. The lower is a true partial-fence from Nodak Spud. All of the small parts, except for the trigger, hammer, and disconnect, are original Colt M16 parts. The selector is an original dimpled one just like the original 605 had. I am not a complete purist like some, but I will get as close as I possibly can. Again, you have a good looking dissipator type AR.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    That will be awesome Renegade...I debated making this into a 605...you've seen the Willyp build? Right down to the auto sear pin inscribed on the lower...and then, I hated to call this a dissipator...really it's just a short rifle. Alway's fun to aquire the parts and assemble them into a functional weapon. Good luck with your project! Thanks for the look
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” W. Churchill

Feedback Score
    605 is my favorite rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coctailer View Post
    605 is my favorite rifle.

Very nice Coctailer...allow me to ask, is the FH pinned on to 16"? As I recall the 605 had a 15" barrel with the lug ground off. Thanks for sharing!

Feedback Score
    Ya, I built this back in 07 when it wasn't a sin to cut an original "12" marked early Colt barrel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The one I am building will not have an original barrel, but will be cut down to 15" and have the FH pinned and welded. I could not justify cutting down an original barrel either. The gas port on the new barrel will be opened up and bayonet lug removed in addition to the removal of the forging flashing.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Nice OP! Kinda reminds me of the old A1 I was issued, while in the Marines.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    Thanks artoter...I suppose once you have acquired your so called go to guns it becomes an experiment in variety...you saw the left-over middy in my other post. I am trying to change up the design aspects just for fun...what they call a frankengun? But it is fun. I'm thinking of looking into the .308 AR10 patterns but of course there is no mil-spec type guide in that each manufacturer has their own variations and the parts will not always interchange...or what one could refer to as a "challenge"