Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing muzzle device: shaving down back vs peel washers vs crush washers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Well, seeing that you know your way around a lathe, that would work just fine. Just a lot of work, as you stated.

I think the AAC shim kit is around $12.
    I don't know my way around it that well... I inherited a Chinese mini lathe a couple years ago. I've used it some but by no means am I a pro. I would NOT trust myself to bring the shoulder back on the barrel, taking a little material off the muzzle device is a lot easier though.

MegademiC, the VG6 Gamma is nitrided stainless so I'm not concerned about a raw finish (although I'd hit it with something to make it less ugly).

MistWolf, that's a good point, I'll have to check the depth of the female threads in the muzzle device vs the male threads on the barrel.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Custom bolt action riflesmiths often do what the OP is proposing- machine the muzzle device so it times correctly with the muzzle, no washers needed. As long as mating surfaces are square to the bore and threads, I think all is good.
    If concerned about loosening, there are a number of threadlockers mentioned in other threads that will work. Torque should be no more than 25 ft-lbs I believe.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpom View Post
    Custom bolt action riflesmiths often do what the OP is proposing- machine the muzzle device so it times correctly with the muzzle, no washers needed. As long as mating surfaces are square to the bore and threads, I think all is good.
    If concerned about loosening, there are a number of threadlockers mentioned in other threads that will work. Torque should be no more than 25 ft-lbs I believe.
    Mark, limiting the torque on the muzzle device threads is good enough, alone, to justify the use of shims or machining on as lathe IMHO.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    What's the best choice in order to keep it from loosening, Rocksett?

I'll also probably build a decent 3 gun upper before too long... probably an 18" Faxon Gunner barrel, need to decide on the adjustable gas block, need to figure out what muzzle device is a good choice, maybe a JP LMOS BCG but maybe something else... that's more likely to see advantages from accuracy improvement than something that primarily shoots steel case.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpom View Post
    What the rifle smith should be doing is cutting the shoulder behind the muzzle threads so that that the muzzle device times TDC. They can do this with the barrel still in the lathe after cutting the muzzle threads. Cutting the muzzle threads and then cutting the muzzle device (unless it isn't square at all) sounds bass ackwards.

Best solution for timing a muzzle device with a shim that I have found:

http://precisionarmament.com/product.../accu-washers/

These should get you within an acceptable torque range pretty easily without any sanding or cutting. Also, once you bevel the inside edge of the shim that will face the barrel (not necessary if the muzzle threads have a relief cut) the shim and muzzle device will sit FLAT against the barrel shoulder and torque down consistently. I bevel the inside edges of mine with a Dremel and sanding wheel. Because they sit so flat and there is near zero room to squash, the torque values stack up pretty quickly, meaning it may take a lot more torque to get the device to turn the last few degrees. If that is happening, and you want to keep the torque minimal, sand down the shim on a flat surface. They are graduated in about 20 degree and 0.002-0.003" increments so you only need to take off about 0.001" to make a noticeable difference in the timing. It may sound like overthinking it, but really not complicated at all once you play with them for a little while. It may take a few minutes, but you should be able to get it timed dead nuts, with the torque value you want, very square to the muzzle, and be removable/re-useable for maintenance. Hope this helps.

I would guess that about 10 ft/lbs would be plenty tight enough without being too much torque.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Some people will never be happy with the simplistic nature of the AR and the lack of need to make specialized parts.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    good luck cutting into a nitride treated part.

Going to take good carbide inserts in your lathe. You aint going to do shit to it IMO with a flap wheel or sand paper.

nitride is around 70 rockwell hardness. Not much out there harder than that.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    What's the best choice in order to keep it from loosening, Rocksett?

I'll also probably build a decent 3 gun upper before too long... probably an 18" Faxon Gunner barrel, need to decide on the adjustable gas block, need to figure out what muzzle device is a good choice, maybe a JP LMOS BCG but maybe something else... that's more likely to see advantages from accuracy improvement than something that primarily shoots steel case.
    Rocksett or Resbond Blue 907TS.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12