Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not a clone - my 're-imagined retro-ish, ambi' GAU-5A carbine

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    i wish - it's the replica from essential arms.
    Those are just fine. A lot of guys are using them on their retro builds. They are a fraction of the cost of a Colt original vinyl acetate coated aluminum stock.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    I like it. Eventually I'll be building a nowhere near historically accurate retro-ish rifle but need to decide on some parts. Either partial fence or slick side lower (probably NoDak Spud). For the upper, probably one with no FA or deflector, but with a dust cover (likely NDS-604). Probably some A1 handguards but possibly the NDS brown prototype handguards. The stock I need to think about, 607 would be nice but they're way too expensive, another option is something short but similar looking like the RRA Entry or to cut down an A1 stock.

Still need to decide on a barrel too, I want rifle gassed, relatively short, .625 gas block and getting all of those together isn't easy... nitride would be nice too.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Update - I've changed the barrel out from the Tom's custom (which was an incorrect .750" barrel). A little while ago, Austin at Griffin Armament let on that he was making some replica XM177 muzzle devices. They were only going to make a couple for themselves personally for a personal project, but decided to make a run of them. It's a 1/1 external clone of an actual MACV-SOG unit (except for the welds at the back). If you want a brand new XM177 moderator and grenade ring replica for a retro, this will be a great option.

Unlike the replica flash hiders, these are actually linear comps; they have a chamber for internal volume to help with back pressure which effectively 'extends' the length of a short barrel. They do not reduce sound, of course. They made to the exact external dimensions of the original, with a separate grenade ring also made to original dimensions. They're black melonite coated; however as few light swipes with a scotchbrite pad gives them some 'wear' that lightens up the colour nicely.

I had a brand new Colt 16" pencil barrel from brownells shipped directly to Griffin. Austin had agreed to cut it down to around 12.3" , then pin and weld the comp on for me (not a service they normally do - just as a personal favour). With the XM comp, it's a hair over 16" (measured with a rod from the closed bolt face to the end of the comp). Note that these do not extend an 11.5" barrel to 16" - they're the same length as the original, which is approx 4.5".

They just went up on the Griffin site - http://www.griffinarmament.com/Griff...omp-p/xmlc.htm
    Anyway, here are the pics.

xm1.jpg

xm4.jpg

xm11.jpg

xm6.jpg

xm7.jpg

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I'm going to guess it feels good at the shoulder and points well...had a chance to put it op paper?
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    yup - sighted it in without any issues at 50 yds off a sandbag. group size was around 1.5-2" with PMC 55gr. good enough for me with iron sights.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Cool, nice build for sure-
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings

Feedback Score
    Very nice project. Did you notice any difference in handling with the combination of the Griffin Faux Moderator/Linear Comp, and the AR-SOB?

You're basically into the realm I've been dealing with since I got bit by the retro bug, where I go for the most aesthetically purist external gun, with the most modern internal gun.

I've been focusing on the Colt 605 and 605B for this, but there are endless possibilities, especially with some of the other carbines and the Colt 656.

The Colt 605 with RLGS and standard rifle buffer is one of the smoothest AR15's I've ever shot, very fun to shoot, even with 69gr SMK hand loads.

I just sold my XM177E2 build kit, which had everything but the barrel, to include the Brick Moderator, grenade launcher bracket retaining ring, surplus upper, NoDak NDS-16A1 lower, aluminum/vinyl coated stock, original lock ring, surplus Colt LPK, correct Delta ring, early carbine HG cap, etc.

I've always wanted an XM177E2, but I like the GAU=5A/A much better since I can't stand the forward malfunction-worsening assist. GAU-5A/A's are a lot cleaner, and resonate that tubular design the AR15 originally had, while being lighter and just better-feeling in the hands.

One thing you can do is install a fiber optic front sight post, while will practically act like a RDS for CQM, and provide a smaller aiming point for intermediate range shooting.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i'm going to shoot it more in a couple of weeks where i'll be able to better compare the SOB buffer to a H2. the griffin linear comp makes a big difference in noise/concussion to the shooter.

i'm with you on the XM177E2 vs. slickside GAU upper - I prefer the lack of fwd assist. I might look into that fiber optic FSP. I have a narrower national match one on there right now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12