Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SBR Form 1 rejected for "AR-15" in 4d. Model field.

Feedback Score

SBR Form 1 rejected for "AR-15" in 4d. Model field.

I'm not a newbie to NFA. I've built three silencers without a hiccup and now this. I followed instructions online to the letter and had my form 1 returned to me. The response from the ATF was a little cryptic so I called them for clarification. They explained they are no longer accepting "AR-15" for model because each firearm manufacturer puts their own model designation on their AR's which often is not "AR-15". My DPMS lower says "A-15". The agent(s) I spoke to recommended I include a picture of my lower showing the actual engraved model with my paperwork when I returned it.

People all over the internet are saying to put "AR-15" down for Model because that worked for them. Well it didn't work for me. Hopefully I can save someone the trouble I'm going through.

Date mailed via snail mail: 08 Feb 2015
    Returned: 15 Jun 2015
    Sent back to NFA Branch within a week. Certified mail confirms they've received it. Still waiting for the response. I should add all the agents I spoke to were polite and helpful. I just think this whole process is a little ridiculous since any criminal can shorten a barrel in about a minute with a hacksaw but us good citizens have to jump through all these pointless hoops.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If you're Making the firearm (Form 1), then it would need to have on it somewhere the Model: [Whatever alphanumeric text you put on the form]. Technically ATF was wrong to reject it, but in theory you'd have to engrave somewhere on it Model: AR-15 to be right to the letter per my understanding for the original submitted form.
    In all honesty, if you've got it sorted out to send in, I wouldn't worry about it.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Wow. That's a long time from the time you first sent it in. I had no idea the paperwork took that long. Hope they get it straitened out for you faster than the first time.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pretty sure "AR-15" is copyright of Colt. Why didn't you put what was on your lower? The marking info is to identify the firearm. I would expect them to reject a form which lists markings that aren't actually on the gun.

Feedback Score
    Wonder what they did on the form 1 e-files where you could choose the preloaded choices like AR, AR15, etc?

Feedback Score
    OP - I believe your "amended" application will go to the front of the line. You won't have to wait another 90 days.
    Last edited by H Wyman; 07-03-15 at 22:32.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad101st View Post
    Wonder what they did on the form 1 e-files where you could choose the preloaded choices like AR, AR15, etc?
    They reject the ones where you choose the wrong item. Happens all the time. I input exactly what was engraved, and attached a pic.

The reality is (as mentioned) you technically don't have to adopt the existing engravings. It's a lot easier if you do, and no additional engraving would be required.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad101st View Post
    Apparently I was the first one to register a Zenith Z-5K (MP5K-Type) on eForms.

There is a little pop up that says, "We haven't heard of that model. We will have to conduct research. This may delay you application" or something like that...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hochsitz View Post
    My DPMS lower says "A-15". The agent(s) I spoke to recommended I include a picture of my lower showing the actual engraved model with my paperwork when I returned it.
    Is this the lower you are sbr'ing? If so you should put A-15 in the box. Otherwise, send a pic like suggested.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
    Apparently I was the first one to register a Zenith Z-5K (MP5K-Type) on eForms.

There is a little pop up that says, "We haven't heard of that model. We will have to conduct research. This may delay you application" or something like that...
    I've had that several times. It goes Pending Research, then you'll get another email when it goes to Submitted. It's the proper way to do it. Mine usually went Submitted/In Process within 24 hours or so...but I've seen others say it took a week or more.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast