Thread: Scoping a sporterized Eddystone M1917

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

Scoping a sporterized Eddystone M1917

I'm looking at getting this Eddystone M1917 .30-06 rifle which has already been sporterized. Whoever did the conversion added small pieces of weaver rail to the receiver for the scope mounting points.
    I'm looking to chop the barrel to 16"-20" and mount some quality glass (Trijicon Accupoint most likely) and I want to know my options as far as rings and bases.
    Do you guys have suggestions on what would be most solid and secure? Would the already mounted weaver rails be good enough, or should I look into swapping those for something better, if it exists?
    looking forward to your thoughts and ideas.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by masakari; 07-03-15 at 22:23.

Feedback Score
    Those weaver bases are plenty strong. If you want to go wit a different style you first need to know what the rear bridge was re-profiled as. There was no standard, but most mirrored a couple of different commercial receivers. If you look at the number on the rear weaver base it should give you a clue. If it were me I would pass on doing any work to that rifle. It's a heavy obsolete tank that is best converted to large magnum calibers. You will run into problems trying to find modern scopes long enough to fit and still give proper eye relief. I know of only one hunting style scope, the Leupold 3x20. The only other scopes long enough are higher magnification varmint or target scopes. If you cut the barrel to 16" I doubt you want a varmint scope. Best of luck!

Advntrjnky

Feedback Score
    Yes, I have those same styled Weaver bases on my sporterized 03 Springfield. I put some Leupold steel rings and Dad's old 3x9x40 Redfield on the rifle and it seems to keep a good zero.

I bought the gun as a pawn shop rescue for 200 bucks many years ago and the Weaver cleats were already there.

I am not easy on this rifle, as it gets taken on the ATV and dragged out when it is rainy for walks to the deer stands.

Seems to hold up pretty well....although if I was doing it from scratch with a receiver that did not already have holes, I'd go with a Leupold steel one piece base, because I think it is stronger.

I too have long thought about re-stocking my beater 03 and cutting the barrel down to maybe 16.5". I do wonder how nasty the recoil might be on a 30-06 with such a short barrel! LOL

With quality glass and good rings, that will make a dandy deer getter...no doubt.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would go no shorter than 20, 22 better if you're intent on cutting it. If you want a 16" rifle, maybe look at a .308 Ruger Scout. And yes the 30-06 will be a fire starter with a short barrel, even the 20" I personally don't think you will have a benefit with the labor cost, I use a 28"Benelli SBE II in the swamp and I'm not handicapped. It actually works great for moved brush and reeds.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I would go no shorter than 20, 22 better if you're intent on cutting it. If you want a 16" rifle, maybe look at a .308 Ruger Scout. And yes the 30-06 will be a fire starter with a short barrel, even the 20" I personally don't think you will have a benefit with the labor cost, I use a 28"Benelli SBE II in the swamp and I'm not handicapped. It actually works great for moved brush and reeds.
    Yeah I think I'll go 20", but I've decided that I'll just be doing it myself with a hacksaw. Need to find a crowning tool to borrow though.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Well, I would start at 20.5 to allow for a redue if the hacksaw doesn't work out. Since you are using a hacksaw, finish with a marble and polishing compound.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would replace the Weaver bases with Leupold or Redfield two piece bases. A one piece is stronger but heavier and partially blocks the loading port. With that action, the extra strength of the one piece is wasted.

Cutting the barrel of that rifle to less than 22 inches is s mistake. You'll just get more muzzle blast, the balance will be thrown off and you'll gain nothing. If you want to make it lighter and handier, replace that log the barreled action is sitting in with a slender, modern classic style laminated stock
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American