Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting "back into" a precision .308...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    The Taccord FN A4 seems to have a lot of very nice, usable features. Don't know what they're asking for as far as per-rifle price.

"POR" when it comes to anything with wheels, props, or tits probably means it's gonna cost more than you want to plunk down.

12 pounds for the rifle itself before adding a scope is also going to make it a beast to haul.
    12 pounds for a target gun is light compared to mine. .. 12 lbs is a light target gun... that's what the OP is after, not a hunting rig
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The Taccord FN A4 seems to have a lot of very nice, usable features. Don't know what they're asking for as far as per-rifle price.

"POR" when it comes to anything with wheels, props, or tits probably means it's gonna cost more than you want to plunk down.

12 pounds for the rifle itself before adding a scope is also going to make it a beast to haul.
    Yeah, I was looking at the A1 (or if I can find an A1A on sale somewhere). I don't think they're offering the A4; just A1 and A2. I figure I can add a Karsten cheek piece or stock pack if needed. I'm not too concerned about weight as I don't really see my hauling this rifle in the woods or anything in the near future.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Any good varmint rifle should turn in fair groups using either match or decent surplus 7.62 ammo. The Palma game in England was built around rules specifying everyone HAD to shoot surplus British Army [Royal Ordnance Radway Green] 7.62 NATO Ball passed directly from military stocks to the UK NRA at the annual Bisley Matches.

The A1 should put a smile on your face. Check Gunbroker as they come up occasionally (as do Winchester Heavy Varmints, Stealths, Laredos, and 700V and VS rifles).

Feedback Score
    Any good varmint rifle should turn in fair groups using either match or decent surplus 7.62 ammo. The Palma game in England was built around rules specifying everyone HAD to shoot surplus British Army [Royal Ordnance Radway Green] 7.62 NATO Ball passed directly from military stocks to the UK NRA at the annual Bisley Matches.

The A1 should put a smile on your face. Check Gunbroker as they come up occasionally (as do Winchester Heavy Varmints, Stealths, Laredos, and 700V and VS rifles).

Yeah, I've been lusting for a Win 70 HBV ever since the days of 'Lito singing their praises on SC.

ETA cool info on the English Palma game.

Feedback Score
    308 off-the-shelf is a great option. Fed Gold Medal Match is almost a no-brainer.
    The selection and availability of .308 is pretty unbeatable, if you're stuck using factory ammo...

Savage 110s are supposed to be very good as well, but you're more limited in your accessories availability.

Quote Originally Posted by HD1911 View Post
    Savage 10 (many flavors)

I just bought a new Savage 10 FCP-SR a couple months ago. It's my first centerfire bolt gun. It cost barely $500, and it shoots lights out.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Why would you waste barrel life on blasting ammo?
    Any good varmint rifle should turn in fair groups using either match or decent surplus 7.62 ammo.
    I shoot milsurp 7.62NATO through my Savage. Lithuanian (GGG) is shockingly accurate out to 200yds — always under 2moa, and if there's no wind, under 1.5moa.

If nothing else, it's handy to have "blasting" ammo to sight in, to foul/warm the barrel, or for people who want to shoot the gun but aren't going to hit the broad side of a barn, anyway...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I shoot a Savage 10FCP with HS Precision stock and NightForce 5.5x22 scope. On a budget you can't beat the combination. It shoots 168g GMM extremely well and 175g very well. 168g reloads will shoot 1/3 to 1/2 MOA at 300 yards and 175g reloads around 3/4 MOA.

If you like Remingtons, just about any of their older heavy barrel varmint rifles will shoot really well. The 700 VLS I sold a few years ago shot very well.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    Granted, .260 and the various 6.5mm are available as factory loads, they cost a lot more than .308. What else would you recommend?
    If only shooting 200 yards (even out to 600), with the only target consideration being hits on paper/steel, I would recommend .223, .243, or one of the nifty little 6.5s (like .260).
    Nothing wrong per se with .308, but you eat more recoil for no advantage in that particular application.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    thought about a Grendel
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As others have said, if you are not planning on shooting farther than 600 yards buy a rifle chambered in .223.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
    thought about a Grendel
    6.5 Grendel is pretty neat, but mostly if coming from an AR perspective.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast