Thread: AA89 (9mm) vs CMMG 300 blackout pistols

Feedback Score

AA89 (9mm) vs CMMG 300 blackout pistols

Hey guys! I am still quite new to the forum but have gotten awesome responses thus far. Here it goes,

I am looking for a home defense weapon (CQB) I have narrowed my extensive search down to two guns. The first is the Atlantic Arms 89 pistol (MP5 clone) this shoots the normal 9mm round which is easy to come by. I do plan on getting a suppressor for said pistol. The other pistol is the CMMG MK4 8 inch barrel that shoots the 300 blackout round (I also plan on getting a suppressor and using the sub-sonic round).

The tough thing for me is that I have no way to shoot both weapons and compare the two. My priorities are as follows:

1. Noise, I want it as quiet as possible (suppressed 9mm vs suppressed sub-sonic blackout round I want to be able to shoot it comfortably without ear protection)
    2. Kick, I realize neither of these calibers really have a kick to them but whichever has the least
    3. Price, though the AA89 is considerably more expensive then the CMMG the ammo is almost half the price (I do plan on shooting quite a bit on the range)

Does anyone have any experience with these two pistols? Please let me know I would appreciate your feedback!!

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I wouldn't bet my life on either of those. For range toys? Sure, why not.

If you want a pistol for HD...Get a non-ported Glock.

I see your thought process on the suppressor but you're not going to hear the shot(s) anyways. A suppressor would be benificial in taming the muzzle flash but make the weapon longer for basically the same terminal performance.

Think about what else may be going on during a home invasion. Would you be dealing with a clingy wife on one arm? Have to secure a dog that licks strangers? Carry a child? Erase the PC browser history? Microwave a bootlegged copy of 'Men in Black 2'?

I'm a big advocate of 'Handgun First' in HD. If you have a SBR or carbine, leave it secured in reserve in your panic/meeting room. Carry your handgun at all times while at home.

You're not looking for a shootout. You or the BG(s) need to leave.

Not what you asked, I know. Say someone kicked your door right ....NOW. No problem, you have your Glock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    I wouldn't bet my life on either of those. For range toys? Sure, why not.

If you want a pistol for HD...Get a non-ported Glock.

I see your thought process on the suppressor but you're not going to hear the shot(s) anyways. A suppressor would be benificial in taming the muzzle flash but make the weapon longer for basically the same terminal performance.

Think about what else may be going on during a home invasion. Would you be dealing with a clingy wife on one arm? Have to secure a dog that licks strangers? Carry a child? Erase the PC browser history? Microwave a bootlegged copy of 'Men in Black 2'?

I'm a big advocate of 'Handgun First' in HD. If you have a SBR or carbine, leave it secured in reserve in your panic/meeting room. Carry your handgun at all times while at home.

You're not looking for a shootout. You or the BG(s) need to leave.

Not what you asked, I know. Say someone kicked your door right ....NOW. No problem, you have your Glock.
    Heh heh, my Glock is right beside me now.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    I would suggest an sbr 300blk, but a quality one. I think silencers are a great idea. For me it's not about being uncomfortable while defending myself, it's about being able to hear what's going on while and after shooting.

That said, I'm not sure how good subsonic blk ammo is terminally compared to a good 9mm round. The supers blacktop are very good from what I've read and would still not be very loud with a silencer compared to a bare muzzle. A 9mm carbine is also worth a look.

If you go pistol, I'd just get a regular pistol and put a silencer/light on it.

I'm working towards adding a silenced 300blk right now. I have an ar for the nightstand at night.

As said, you need to look at your situation closely. For me, a rifle makes sense. I plan on getting cqb training to maneuver effectively indoors, but right now I just practice myself on occasion. It's not intuitive, but a rifle can be used better than a pistol indoors imo.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-10-15 at 08:33.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are so many opinions on this subject... ask five experts and you'll get six answers. Here's mine:

I carry my trusted Glock 19 almost all the time, including when around the house (mine or my girlfriend's) doing chores, eating dinner, or watching TV. Random door kick home invasions do happen, during the day and at night. In my house, where there are no kids, I keep an SBR .300blk by the bed when I'm home. It has a can, sling and light. I'd MUCH rather have that in the middle of the night if I hear a door getting kicked in.

Having a handgun seems convenient, but now what if you need both hands? Where are you putting that pistol? A rifle with a sling allows you to use both hands when needed. A light on either platform is easy to use, but admittedly my concealed G19 doesn't have a light because it's harder to carry and conceal. So now I have two hands tied up if I need a light. Lame. I do always have a little Fenix LD09 Chinese child-labor light with me, but I again I'd much rather have my Rifle.

The ability for most people to perform under stress is going to be much better with a carbine instead of a handgun. There are also the obvious ballistic advantages. Don't believe any of the misinformation about rifles over-penetrating. The SME's here regularly debunk that, and I also have watched and participated in several different penetration tests. Ammo selection is key, and I'm comfortable with my ammo choices.

Based upon just what you're looking at, choose the pistol AR. It's close enough to being a carbine, as long as you practice a cheek weld on the tube and use a sling. But you really would benefit from spending the $200 for a tax stamp.