Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Barrel nut torque...do you inline with the wrench or 90 degrees?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    The type or torque wrench, or the length is irrelevant. It needs to be used as intended.

You are correct that you will likely be within the spec - but many people don't like "likely". Mistwolf is also correct. The correct way is following the spec. If the nut wrench one is using is not same as milspec, it's easy just do a quick length calculation. The tdp is setup to supply the correct torque. The builder doesn't need to know the actual torque on the nut.

"Use these parts. Apply this torque. Do it this way." That's all one needs to know or do. Anything more is acedemic.

To mistwolfs point. If you do it your way, there is a possibility of undertorquing if your at the bottom of the spec.
    The length of the torque wrench is actually a factor in the math used to find the correct torque when using a crows foot extention.

You are right, if you are using the same exact tools that are in the TM. Most aren't I'm willing to bet. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    The length of the torque wrench is actually a factor in the math used to find the correct torque when using a crows foot extention.

You are right, if you are using the same exact tools that are in the TM. Most aren't I'm willing to bet. That's the point I'm trying to make.
    If the torque on the nut wrench (crows foot?) is the same(where the torque wrench interfaces), how does it know how long the torque wrench is?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If the torque on the nut wrench (crows foot?) is the same(where the torque wrench interfaces), how does it know how long the torque wrench is?
    The torque wrench and the extension (barrel nut wrench, crows foot) work together to form a lever. It has to do with the ratio of the length of the torque wrench vs the length of the extension. Imagine you had a two foot long torque wrench and a two inch long extension, the actual torque applied to the nut would only be slightly higher than indicated on the torque wrench. Now imagine that you had a one foot long torque wrench and a one foot long extension, the torque applied to the nut would now be double what was indicated on the torque wrench.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not enough information to give you an answer. How long is the torque wrench that is being used? How long is the extension on the torque wrench? There is a formula you can use to find out, but we need to know how long the wrenches are first.
    The uncorrected torque is unknown, it's not known how to find it and by turning the nut wrench 90* to the torque wrench, a variable is introduced that decreases applied torque by an unknown amount. Not only is the method not In Accordance With, not only is it less accurate, it is also...
    ...is nothing short of guessing.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The type or torque wrench, or the length is irrelevant.
    kirkland is right. Torque wrench length is an important part of the math. https://www.protorquetools.com/formu...torque-wrench/
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Edit - after rereading what I wrote i just realized what I said. I was thinking 90 degrees not inline.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-16-17 at 08:51.

Feedback Score
    The torque wrench and the extension (barrel nut wrench, crows foot) work together to form a lever. It has to do with the ratio of the length of the torque wrench vs the length of the extension. Imagine you had a two foot long torque wrench and a two inch long extension, the actual torque applied to the nut would only be slightly higher than indicated on the torque wrench. Now imagine that you had a one foot long torque wrench and a one foot long extension, the torque applied to the nut would now be double what was indicated on the torque wrench.
    and the relevant length isn't the length to the end of the handle, it's the length to the center of where you grip it, from the center of the head. If you use a beam wrench with a pivoting handle that's easy to measure, if you use a click or digital less so.

Then again, as others have stated, given how wide a range is acceptable it isn't that important.

Feedback Score
    Not enough information to give you an answer. How long is the torque wrench that is being used? How long is the extension on the torque wrench? There is a formula you can use to find out, but we need to know how long the wrenches are first.
    Dude why go through the whole alphabet if the way from A to B is a straight and defined line?

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post
    If Iraqgunz hasn't sent it to you, you can try searching for TM 9-1005-319-23&P or try this link:

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/MIL...4%20manual.pdf

The information we are all arguing about is on pages 3-41 to 3-43 (electronic pages 155-157). The most relevant picture is on page 3-41 here:

Attachment 48033

Joe Mamma
    Hey thanks man. It looks like the illustration shows the tool oriented inline with the torque wrench. The written instructions make no mention of the orientation of the wrench and tool, so I guess you just have to mimic the illustration. Lastly, I also find it interesting that the torque spec for the receiver extension is 40 inch pounds +/- 2 inch pounds. That seems really low to me.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 10-17-17 at 22:07.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Hey thanks man. It looks like the illustration shows the tool oriented inline with the torque wrench. The written instructions make no mention of the orientation of the wrench and tool, so I guess you just have to mimic the illustration. Lastly, I also find it interesting that the torque spec for the receiver extension is 40 inch pounds +/- 2 inch pounds. That seems really low to me.
    Good catch. In my opinion, that's definitely a typo and it should be foot pounds.

Just for a point of comparison, my personal notes (summarizing information from the Colt Factory Armorer's Manual) say this:

"carbine buffer tube castle nut - using tool #2, 38-42 ft-lbs (dry)
    rifle buffer tube - using tool #1 (in-line), 35-39 ft-lbs (dry)"

Of course, this gets back to the issue of what exact tools are used, and what the extension lengths and orientations are . . . If you really want, I can try to dig up a picture of them from the Colt manual. However, if you use the tool in the U.S. military manual linked in my post above, and use foot pounds instead of inch pounds, I am sure it will work out fine.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast