Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Zero Graphics - Various barrel lengths and zero ranges - M193, M855, and Mk262

Feedback Score

AR-15 Zero Graphics - Various barrel lengths and zero ranges - M193, M855, and Mk262

The graphics below illustrate and compare different common zeros and the impacts they yield at various ranges. The graphics show points of impact for a given zero using various common barrel length and popular ammunition combinations. The trajectories of M193, M855, and Mk262 ammunition is illustrated with velocities adjusted for the given barrel length in an attempt to give most shooters an idea of what their set-up is doing down range. These are meant to be a quick visual reference. There are far too many factors that come into play for these to be 100% accurate for every set up and situation, but they will get you close. Also, keep in mind that these graphics do not take factors such as weapon/ammunition accuracy and shooter error into account. These graphics are based off of 100% perfect conditions and are meant to give you a general idea of where your impacts will be.

The graphics use a standard IPSC target for scale. The red dot is the point of aim with the black dots being the point of impact for the given distance.

Hopefully you guys find these to be helpful as an easy way to see what your chosen zero yields with your set-up.

I’m still working up graphics for 11.5”, 12.5”, and 20” guns and should have them up soon.

10.5" Barreled SBRs:

M193 55gr

M855 62gr

Mk262 77gr

14.5" Barreled Carbines:

M193 55gr

M855 62gr

Mk 262gr

16" Barreled Carbines:

M193 55gr

M855 62gr

Mk262gr
    Last edited by thecolter; 07-16-15 at 07:57.

Feedback Score
    18" Barreled Rifles:

M193 55gr

M855 62gr

Mk262 77gr
    Last edited by thecolter; 03-24-15 at 20:08.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I made these posts a stand-alone thread.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Great post
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I made these posts a stand-alone thread.
    Thank you, I always had difficulty finding them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    I like these better than ballistic charts since they are much easier to read for the kaymen. I usually end up pointing at my chest saying here, here, here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    These are awesome. Very excited to see the 11.5" version since my new upper will be here tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    The graphics above do a decent job of showing the effect of zeroing distance on midrange targets.
    There is a lot going on between the muzzle and 200 yards (I really prefer to use meters, but that's just me and how my data collection goes for things more involved than red-dots), that aren't captured in these. My critique of them is linked to the degree of precision that common carbines are capable of, and would be expected in competition or life-saving events that have a ballistic solution.

Here's an example.
    I'm showing a B-8 for these because it is a very common target, for a lot of good reasons. It has relevant scoring areas. X-Ring is 1.7 inches in diameter, 10-ring is 3.36 inches. I really like that level of precision for practical carbine use. 9-ring is 5.54 inches, which is good for fast stuff while maintaining decent precision. Keeping things inside an ISPC A-Zone is good, but once the targets get canted or are partially obscured, I like to have a better feel for the trajectory and hold requirement for success.
    One could apply this to the head of an IPSC, but that really only pertains to that particular game from a practical standpoint. I don't want to drag that out, so let me get to the point:

Here's M855 from a 14.5" barrel, with a 2.6" LOS over bore, at sea level, standard atmosphere.
    Big red circle is your POA/POI intersection, depicted about the relative size of a 2 MOA dot at 50 yards/meters (1").
    Little white or grey circles are the center of the trajectory at the distances indicated to their right.

0-100 Meter Trajectories
    100 Meter Zero:

200 Meter Zero:

300 Meter Zero:

Please bear in mind that with all of these, human error and the baseline accuracy of the firearm being used are not depicted. Most users should be able to hold a 3" group at a decent pace at 25 yards from a standing position, so when you picture these, remember that your shots won't necessarily land exactly where the theoretical path indicates. I like to have some leeway in the hold, and I don't want to be forced into hard hold-over change-over distances. Holds (POA) that cover a lot of ground, with the ability to hit small targets without much mental measuring will make things easier.

I'll pop back with some 0-100 refinement with each of the major zeroing concept players, as well as some mid-range stuff if anybody's interested.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm interested, and everyone else probably is too.
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great thread thank you.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast