Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new to suppressors suggestions??

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
    Exactly this, OP. The hive mind that you should ALWAYS buy a .30 cal can is a bit outdated. You have to step back and ask yourself whether you intend to shoot anything but 5.56. Slapping a 9" and ~20 oz. 30 cal can on a gun is the fastest way to turn it into a bench rifle.

One bit of advice I like to give is that you shouldn't chase DB ratings. You won't end up with a can you like and will probably buy twice. Buy a can that fits Budget, Weight and Length. In that order. 5.56 is god awful loud no matter how you slice it and at the end of the day, a suppressor is a really cool range toy. So why not make it fun to play with?
    I'm not sure I agree that it's a only a really cool range toy. I mean, if I ever have to discharge my HD carbine at an intruder in my home I'm pretty sure it makes a great concussion & hearing loss mitigator as well as being a great flash suppressor saving my night vision (night/dark being a realistic HD scenario).

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I would only recommend buying a .30 cal. can as your first if you already have .30 cal. guns to use it on. The idea here is that when you buy your next can it will be a 5.56 model and at this point they will both become dedicated to something caliber specific.

If you don't have a need for a. 30 cal. can then I see no point in the extra size and weight.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You've gotten a lot of good info so far. It is true that most 30 cal cans will be longer and heavier than their 5.56 counterpart. One exception that I think is very much worth looking at though is the Dead Air Armament Sandman S. It's the same size and weight of a Saker 5.56 and in the same price point. It's a 30 cal can rated to up to 300 WinMag. There's no minimum barrel length for it like others. It has a superb mount system and you can use a 5.56 end cap to drop noise even more if you want it. So you end up with a silencer that's the size of most 5.56 cans, but with the capabilities of a 30 cal can. I personally think it's one of the best options on the market right now.
    Police work: If it were easy it would be called your mom.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    My 12" 6.8 SBR would be the first example. They rate the Omega to a 16" minimum for 6.8, no idea why. Lots of 11"-13" 6.8 SBRs in the woods.

And although I wouldn't buy/build one, there aree a massive number of 7.5" 5.56 SBRs out there.

I agree it's not an issue for most people, but with some other cans it's not even anything to think twice about.
    Pretty sure the omega is rated for a 10 inch barrel in 6.8.

It's a mix of stainless, stellite and titanium. Also, the can is not large by any means.

MAC has some good tests up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL2Q2DIX76o
    Last edited by foxtrotx1; 07-16-15 at 00:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
    Exactly this, OP. The hive mind that you should ALWAYS buy a .30 cal can is a bit outdated. You have to step back and ask yourself whether you intend to shoot anything but 5.56. Slapping a 9" and ~20 oz. 30 cal can on a gun is the fastest way to turn it into a bench rifle.

One bit of advice I like to give is that you shouldn't chase DB ratings. You won't end up with a can you like and will probably buy twice. Buy a can that fits Budget, Weight and Length. In that order. 5.56 is god awful loud no matter how you slice it and at the end of the day, a suppressor is a really cool range toy. So why not make it fun to play with?
    Except several of todays .30 cal cans are shorter than 7 inches, and lighter than their 5.56 counterparts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrotx1 View Post
    Pretty sure the omega is rated for a 10 inch barrel in 6.8.
    It's not. Many people have asked (since it's not listed) and they've always replied 16". Here's an example of one of the replies when asked what the minimum barrel length for 6.8 is:

Thank you for your interest in SilencerCo, and our new Omega suppressor. The Omega has the following minimum barrel length requirements: 300BLK - 8", .223/5.56 - 10", 6.8SPC/.308 - 16", and Magnums up to 300WM - 20". For your 12.5" 6.8, I recommend looking at either the Saker 762, or Specwar 762 suppressors as they are rated down to 7" barrels for the 6.8 SPC. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Then, when questioned further about why it was the 6.8 was grouped in with 5.56 on the Saker (rated down to 7"), but paired with .308 on the Omega, he got this explanation:

Thank you for your question. The differences come from the use of different materials between each suppressor series. The Saker features a full Stellite Core, with all other parts being Stainless Steel. Stellite is selected as the complete core material for its strength, and is 30% stronger than Inconel. This is what allows the Saker 762 to handle the 6.8 all the way down to 7", and thus your 8.5" as well. The other option, which is also made of the same materials, and will offer better suppression is the Specwar 762. This model being of a full Stellite core as well, is also rated for use down to 7". The Omega does use a Stellite Blast Baffle, however the rest of the baffle stack is Stainless Steel.
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 07-16-15 at 07:44.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrotx1 View Post
    Except several of todays .30 cal cans are shorter than 7 inches, and lighter than their 5.56 counterparts.
    7" is still a long can. I prefer a full size 5.56 can closer to 6".

Feedback Score

new to suppressors suggestions??

Here's my advice, take it for what it's worth….
    I have a dedicated Surefire SOCOM556-RC for my AR and it is definitely fun to shoot, with that being said I also have a 9" 300 Blackout SBR with a Specwar762 that is absolutely my favorite rifle to shoot.

If I had to do it all over again I would not have bothered buying the can for the 5.56 because it can only fire supersonic rounds, while my 9" 300 Blackout SBR firing subsonic ammo is a major head-turner at any gun range due to it being so ultra-quiet.

Colt 6920 w/Surefire SOCOM556-RC

AAC 9" 300 Blackout w/Noveske N4 lower
    Last edited by ex95B10; 07-16-15 at 16:09.
    RANGE TIME on Facebook
    RANGE TIME on Instagram
    RANGE TIME on Twitter
    NRA Life Member/RSO

Feedback Score
    I'm a Silencerco fan for life after a small "alignment issue" my father managed to accomplish resulted in my brand new, 9 month wait, specwar 762, turned into a small missile (baffle strike, and not actually screwed on the mount)
    I called silencerco and told them what happened and the gentleman I spoke with basically told me "not a big deal, if it happens again give us a call and we'll take care of it!". Had it back in about 7 days fully rebuilt.

I may buy a 22lr can of a different brand but prob not.

I've about 3 months wait down on an Omega, purely for my ar15's then if I build a Grendel or blackout it'll still be usable. Or a 300wm bolt gun... Versatility

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    I've never believed in buying a .30 cal can to suppress a 5.56, as it is less than optimal for that platform generally due to size. However if you're on a shoe string budget and only plan to buy 1 suppressor, I guess it may be ok. How often do you shoot .308? If rarely or never, why bother with a .30 cal can? Most people likely shoot 5.56 to .308 at a 10:1 ratio or higher. As I recently heard in SiCo's last YouTube video, "getting a suppressor is like getting s tattoo, once you have one, you gotta have more." I really don't believe in hosts sharing cans, 1 can per host, that is my rule.

Sure fire SOCOM RC's can be had for $799 right now + stamp and transfer fee, I'd buy one of those.
    Where are they for that price?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast