Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new to suppressors suggestions??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    I really don't believe in hosts sharing cans, 1 can per host, that is my rule.
    Agreed...

You can also reduce cost, weight and length purchasing a direct thread model.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    So why are yall against sharing cans for different calibers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stx.dead.I View Post
    So why are yall against sharing cans for different calibers?
    It's mainly because buying a can for a bigger caliber often means you're running a longer/heavier suppressor than you need.

Having dedicated cans for hosts works best, but there's nothing wrong with buying the bigger can and using it for multiple applications. Suppression wise, it works out about the same. The gain in suppression from having a larger internal volume is equalized by the loss of suppression by having an oversized bore. The larger volume often gives you a lower tone, which many people find more pleasant.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    So the main diff is savings in weight/length

But the omega is 14.##oz can with a 30 cal. It's lighter or as light as most 22 cans I've seen also only 7 in long so it's got the length and weight of 22

Feedback Score
    So the main diff is savings in weight/length

But the omega is 14.##oz can with a 30 cal. It's lighter or as light as most 22 cans I've seen also only 7 in long so it's got the length and weight of 22
    Correct. The explanation is mainly due to considering the 5.56 and 7.62 versions of the same can.

You can definitely buy a Ti 7.62 can that's lighter than a stainless 5.56 can. The Omega is obviously lighter than many cans on the market, but also comes with barrel length limitations that others don't.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    Correct. The explanation is mainly due to considering the 5.56 and 7.62 versions of the same can.

You can definitely buy a Ti 7.62 can that's lighter than a stainless 5.56 can. The Omega is obviously lighter than many cans on the market, but also comes with barrel length limitations that others don't.
    But a 10" 5.56 8" 300blk and 16"7.62 how much shorter would anyone want to go?

Not trying to come across wrong. I appreciate the feedback and have zero experience with cans so I am just trying to get all the arguments for and against it taken care of
    Last edited by stx.dead.I; 07-15-15 at 15:16.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    My advice is to figure out what features are most important to you and do research (which apparently you're already doing).

I made the mistake of of only considering noise suppression on my first can, so while it was a little quieter than others it's extremely heavy, long, and has terrible blow back. I then bought a Mini, which was much better in those regards but had issues with muzzle flash, especially on my SBR. So now I mostly use a mid length can that's great as suppressing noise and flash, plus has minimal blowback and a great mounting system.

So what I'm saying is buy a SOCOM RC for $799, 'cause that's a steal on an amazing can.

Because of NFA's PITA rules, you're basically stuck with whatever cans you buy, so don't cheap out or impulse buy. If you can shoot friend's suppressors to give you a better impression of what to expect.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    But a 10" 5.56 8" 300blk and 16"7.62 how much shorter would anyone want to go?

Not trying to come across wrong. I appreciate the feedback and have zero experience with cans so I am just trying to get all the arguments for and against it taken care of
    My 12" 6.8 SBR would be the first example. They rate the Omega to a 16" minimum for 6.8, no idea why. Lots of 11"-13" 6.8 SBRs in the woods.

And although I wouldn't buy/build one, there aree a massive number of 7.5" 5.56 SBRs out there.

I agree it's not an issue for most people, but with some other cans it's not even anything to think twice about.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    It's mainly because buying a can for a bigger caliber often means you're running a longer/heavier suppressor than you need.

Having dedicated cans for hosts works best, but there's nothing wrong with buying the bigger can and using it for multiple applications. Suppression wise, it works out about the same. The gain in suppression from having a larger internal volume is equalized by the loss of suppression by having an oversized bore. The larger volume often gives you a lower tone, which many people find more pleasant.

Exactly this, OP. The hive mind that you should ALWAYS buy a .30 cal can is a bit outdated. You have to step back and ask yourself whether you intend to shoot anything but 5.56. Slapping a 9" and ~20 oz. 30 cal can on a gun is the fastest way to turn it into a bench rifle.

One bit of advice I like to give is that you shouldn't chase DB ratings. You won't end up with a can you like and will probably buy twice. Buy a can that fits Budget, Weight and Length. In that order. 5.56 is god awful loud no matter how you slice it and at the end of the day, a suppressor is a really cool range toy. So why not make it fun to play with?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    And to answer your question, I'm big on Silencerco right now. Their Saker/Specwar K models seem to fit what you're asking for. YES, they will give you a bit of muzzle flash on your SBR. NO, they are not as quiet as some overblown .30 cal monstrosity. But for the weight, length and mounting systems they should be near the top of anyone's list. If you can live with the extra inches and ounces, their full size versions of the same models will be a good compromise.

Also, wasn't there a company recently offering a free .22 silencer with a rifle can? I seem to remember it was a 30 cal can but It's worth looking into.

EDIT: Also, $urefire. Worth the money, but can they ever be a lot of money. Some of Gemtech's Titanium cans will probably serve you well and Griffin Armament is new to the consciousness but making a great name for themselves.
    Last edited by Shagnasty; 07-15-15 at 18:16.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast