Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm Build questions

Feedback Score

9mm Build questions

Have my first 9mm build almost complete.....I have everything together except have not picked up a buffer yet....i understand that there is a specific 9mm buffer.....my questions is......does the standard carbine buffer spring work with the heavy 9mm buffer....the build is a 16 inch barrel, and on a CMMG lower....

thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I went with a Wolfe SMG spring with a Spikes 9mm buffer and I haven't had any issues. I believe they offer 3 different types and I bought all 3 thinking I'd have to play with them to work on the various uppers I tend to shoot. Will you be shooting suppressed?

Feedback Score
    I have a QC10 setup, so I went with their recommendations - H2 buffer and Wolff Extra Power spring. I used six quarters as a buffer spacer because the Spikes spacer I had was way too long for my config.

Feedback Score
    thanks guys, it will not be suppressed....just a standard 16 inch gun.....for plinking and such...the shooting club I belong to has a lot of matches where we can shoot pistol caliber carbine.....that was my motivation for doing the build....

Steve

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
    I have a QC10 setup, so I went with their recommendations - H2 buffer and Wolff Extra Power spring. I used six quarters as a buffer spacer because the Spikes spacer I had was way too long for my config.
    Had that same problem with a Spikes heavy buffer. It's too long and didn't allow the bolt to all the way back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris View Post
    Had that same problem with a Spikes heavy buffer. It's too long and didn't allow the bolt to all the way back.
    Seems like the Spikes AR9 stuff is very proprietary. I'm guessing that you have to use their BCG, buffer, and buffer spacer to make anything work right. Just to clarify, I myself used a standard carbine H2 buffer. Using quarters as spacers allows you to tune the rearward BCG travel to enable BHO and prevent bolt catch damage. Or so Arfcom told me.

Feedback Score
    thanks guys,

I went and ordered the RRA 9mm buffer......will see how that runs with a standard carbine buffer spring........I will order up the extra power Wolff spring if I have problems......

thanks again.....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have some extra parts of you need some help getting the correct set up running.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The best buffer for a 9 mm is the Qbuffer from heavy buffers.com carbine extension and no spacer
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse to Be a Victim and Personal Protection in the Home
    Full time instructor for Florida Firearms Training
    21 years as USAF Combat Arms Instructor and First Sergeant

Feedback Score
    I wasn't exactly sure considering all the internet experts, so I'm using a RRA Buffer Assembly and A Full Length Action Spring. That's It. I put 350 rds through it and only had a few hiccups. Not sure if its the Magazines, Ammunition, or the new wearing off. I'm using a CMMG complete upper with the ramped bolt so also using a regular hammer. I'm also using Mobil 1 for lube. I bought The Stock Spacer, and made 2 different size / length Buffer Spacer's. So far I'm not really seeing a need for all the extra stuff, but I have it. I mostly built this because I missed the chance to buy a used Colt years ago and regretted it ever since.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast