Thread: Hardening Comms Cables/Antenna Connections

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Hardening Comms Cables/Antenna Connections

This guide is to assist with a cheap, effective means for hardening comms wiring and antenna connections against the elements.

Very few coaxial connectors are waterproof, or even water-resistant. The shielding in most coaxial cables is comprised of a thin wire braiding leading towards a tendancy to absorb water through capillary action. Exposure to moisture/humidity/etc can degrade or compromise the effective functioning of your comms-equipment through water infiltration.

For this procedure you will need the following:

1) Antenna
    2) Coaxial Cable
    3) Scissors/Knife
    4) 3M Temflex™ 2155 Rubber Splicing Tape
    5) Scotch Super 33+ Electrical Tape
    6) Dielectric Grease

* A note on the products listed above:

The Temflex is a malleable rubber that seals against moisture. Think of it like a ranger-band on a roll that is self-adhering, but won't stick to anything else. The Temflex is NOT UV-resistant, thus we will need to apply an overwrap with the PVC-backed Super 33+.

Both the Temflex and Super 33+ are rated for indoor/outdoor usage.

Begin by adding dielectric grease to coaxial terminal connection PL/SO (Plug / Socket). The dielectric grease will resist corrosion of the mating surfaces, as well as act as a moisture/water-repellent. Once the dielectric grease is applied, tighten the connection between the PL/SO.

At this time, you will definitely want to verify the connection is secure, and the antenna/coax are both functioning.

Assemble the antenna/coax and attach to your radio. Test for functioning. Do this BEFORE you begin the wrap, as everything from this point forward will be a waste of time if the connection isn't secure or your equipment isn't operational.

To begin the sealing, remove a section of the Temflex at an estimated length needed to fully wrap the terminal connections. It isn't critical to be exact, as, due to the Temflex's self-adhering properties, a secondary wrap will bond with the original.

Start the wrap 1"-2" on the lower section of the cable. When wrapping, you will want to move "uphill" or bottom-up, towards the antenna. This creates a shingle-effect, assisting in hydrophobic effect we are looking for.

You will notice that by stretching the Temflex, a tighter seal is maintained while wrapping. Try to overlap the previous wrap by about 50%.

Once the wrap extends 1"-2" past the antenna terminal, you can call it "good".

You will want to follow the same procedure for the electrical tape, extending an inch or two beyond the previously wrapped Temflex portions.

At this point, you now have a hydrophobic connection between your extension cord and your antenna. With the Super 33+, your moisture barrier is now protected from UV radiation.

Keep in mind, this process is intended to create a secure connection. For my personal comms, I am running a layer of Temflex, as well as the Super 33+, along the entire length of the extension cable, and overlapping past the antenna base.

It really is a subjective choice on how far you want to go to protect/harden your kit. I, personally have a tendency to over-build any system I have that is non-redundant. In my particular usage, the extension cable is further protected with a plastic shield, and covered with heat shrink as a measure against abrasive damage, if intended for permanent outdoor, or mobile, installations.

YMMV.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 05-12-16 at 18:57.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Nice... sounds like Temflex is a lot like Rescue Tape... http://www.rescuetape.com/ but RT is UV resistant. I use that stuff all the time.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Rescue Tape is phenomenal stuff. It is a must have in a vehicle for "expedient fixes".

The plus to the Temflex is that it still gets the job done, and is only about $2.50 / 22'.

Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Nice... sounds like Temflex is a lot like Rescue Tape... http://www.rescuetape.com/ but RT is UV resistant. I use that stuff all the time.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thanks, I meant to ask how much that was... I've never heard of it. I'll have to pick some up. Plus I think I have about 10 rolls of electrical tape I got from Harbor Freight for $1 or free in one of their sales.

I still do not get dielectric grease. I did some research on it and ended up with some avionics guy explaining it. this was a long time ago. I kinda come at things from audio connections which is always simply metal on metal or even with some connections which are clamped into a 'cold weld' which again is supposed to be the ultimate connection.

I can never get through my head how putting dielectric grease between the mating surfaces makes things better. dielectric means basically insulator which is contrary to what you are trying to achieve but somehow it still works. The avionics guy mentioned something about it, or what it does to the mating surfaces but I honestly can't remember. I get the grease aspect protecting the connectors... but metal to metal with dielectric between them seems to me almost like it's making a capacitor... and you sure couldn't use 'conductive grease' that would short the whole deal out.... I know it works, it just never made sense to me, I can't figure why it works.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    You're right in that it is not a conductive material. Conductivity won't be enhanced; however, it will disperse into a seal...

Typically, at least in terms of coaxial connections, the intent is to produce a "filler seal" or plug. When the plug end is inserted into the socket, the grease *should* be displaced, and metal-on-metal contact should ensue.

I've always had some laying around for lubing o-rings on my Surefire lights.

Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Thanks, I meant to ask how much that was... I've never heard of it. I'll have to pick some up. Plus I think I have about 10 rolls of electrical tape I got from Harbor Freight for $1 or free in one of their sales.

I still do not get dielectric grease. I did some research on it and ended up with some avionics guy explaining it. this was a long time ago. I kinda come at things from audio connections which is always simply metal on metal or even with some connections which are clamped into a 'cold weld' which again is supposed to be the ultimate connection.

I can never get through my head how putting dielectric grease between the mating surfaces makes things better. dielectric means basically insulator which is contrary to what you are trying to achieve but somehow it still works. The avionics guy mentioned something about it, or what it does to the mating surfaces but I honestly can't remember. I get the grease aspect protecting the connectors... but metal to metal with dielectric between them seems to me almost like it's making a capacitor... and you sure couldn't use 'conductive grease' that would short the whole deal out.... I know it works, it just never made sense to me, I can't figure why it works.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Just a heads up.... I was doing a bit of shopping yesterday and needed an add-on for Amazon free ship. I thought I would add some 2155 Temflex. the only thing that showed up was like 1.5" and rather expensive. In the process a link showed HomeDepot had it for $2.50 in the 3/4" width.

So I found something else for my amazon order and happened to drop by HD today. Nope!... been replaced with splicing tape made by CE in china. So I left and had to go by another HD... sure enough same thing Commercial Electric brand in the 3M bin on the rack. Looked at my phone again and my main store actually shows 3M 2155 in stock where others only had maybe 1 or 2 rolls and others none at all. So I grabbed a few rolls.

Maybe the new stuff is just as good, I don't know, but if you want 3M Temflex 2155 you better grab it because it seems like it is becoming hard to find. Perhaps a to do about nothing on my part but I hate it when there is a good product at a good price and then one day it's just gone forever.

end public service announcement

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Thanks for the heads up on this brother man.

I use Temflex for so much crap it ain't funny. I'm going to have to load up on my way home tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Rescue Tape is phenomenal stuff. It is a must have in a vehicle for "expedient fixes".

The plus to the Temflex is that it still gets the job done, and is only about $2.50 / 22'.
    Don't leave home without it!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Most of the Yagi's I purchase come with this VERY STICKY black tape type stuff. A few wraps with that plus some super 88 and you're GTG.

Your steps are great and I would definitely recommend them!

Any exposed connections should be protected. I've replaced plenty of coax due to corrosion of the connections.

Exposure to the elements plus corrosive atmospheres definitely hurt.

Source: I work comms in the Oil & Gas industry.