Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Should I buy a new Sig P226?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
    Happen to have a photo of the grip tape?
    Get some skateboard tape at a local skateboard shop. They might even have some scraps they'll give you. I put some on a front strap of a 1911 & it's been on there for a couple years.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironbutt View Post
    Get some skateboard tape at a local skateboard shop. They might even have some scraps they'll give you. I put some on a front strap of a 1911 & it's been on there for a couple years.
    This or go to a hardware store if there isn't a skateboard shop near you. If all you're doing is front strap, it's really the easiest way. If I were doing an entire grip, I would probably use the Talon Grips. But I like the stippling for the grips and would go with Hogue G10s if I went in another direction. So that only leaves the front strap.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    The 226 is a great gun. If it fits your needs go for it. I carried a P226DAK And a Sig P229 both in .40. I hated the 229 it was too small for me. The 226 carried the same amount of rounds in a larger gun.

I'm a Sig, Glock and M&P armorer. One thing I hated about the Sigs were the damn grip screws. I love our Glocks and I'm starting to like the M&P's. There is less going on with the Glock and M&P. Did I say I hate the grip screws! They ofen fell out and were always rusting. Not an issue with the polymer guns. The fit and finish of the Sig's I've taken apart have been impressive. It was immediately clear to me why they cost more.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 07-23-15 at 16:44.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    The 226 is a great gun. If it fits your needs go for it. I carried a P226DAK And a Sig P229 both in .40. I hated the 229 it was too small for me. The 226 carried the same amount of rounds in a larger gun.

I'm a Sig, Glock and M&P armorer. One thing I hated about the Sigs were the damn grip screws. I love our Glocks and I'm starting to like the M&P's. There is less going on with the Glock and M&P. Did I say I hate the grip screws! They ofen fell out and were always rusting. Not an issue with the polymer guns. The fit and finish of the Sig's I've taken apart have been impressive. It was immediately clear to me why they cost more.
    +1 all around. I work for a large federal agency that has 4000+ 229s in the field and authorizes the 226 (amongst other guns) as a personally owned weapon. From speaking with HQ firearms staff we have an exceptionally low failure rate (they keep very detailed logs of malfunctions and failures of our issued 229s) with our new production 229s. Personally I carry Glocks off duty (either a 19 or 43), and would on duty as well if I could, but there's an undeniable difference in the level of craftsmanship that goes into the two guns. Doesn't translate into a performance advantage for the Sig IMO, but I can certainly see why they cost more because of it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post

Was this grip screw issue related to the lack of QC years back or recently?
    "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RWCRaiden View Post
    Was this grip screw issue related to the lack of QC years back or recently?
    Grip screw issues have been a problem for as long as I've been a Sig Armorer (coming up on 12 years now). I've lost count of the number of agents I've seen walking around with missing grip screws - one dude showed up for a range with rubber bands around his grips because he'd lost both screws on one side.

The screws rust like crazy, but once installed, they can be kept in place with a light application of penetrating thread locker, or even better, clear nail polish (solvent will remove that, so needs to be re-applied after a couple of cleanings, but, hey, it's cheap!)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Should I buy a new Sig P226?

Quote Originally Posted by Psalms144.1 View Post
    Grip screw issues have been a problem for as long as I've been a Sig Armorer (coming up on 12 years now). I've lost count of the number of agents I've seen walking around with missing grip screws - one dude showed up for a range with rubber bands around his grips because he'd lost both screws on one side.

The screws rust like crazy, but once installed, they can be kept in place with a light application of penetrating thread locker, or even better, clear nail polish (solvent will remove that, so needs to be re-applied after a couple of cleanings, but, hey, it's cheap!)
    Has your agency looked into the e2 grips that don't use screws? I never had screws come loose and can't think of anyone in my academy class that did either during a month of firearms training. Wonder if it depends on the model
    Last edited by SCSU74; 07-24-15 at 11:34.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Sig 220's used to come with star lock washers under the screws. Depending on the grips on a 226 there are 2 lengths of screws. Longer for wood and shorter for polymer grips. Long screw in poly grip may rub magazine. Short screw in wood grips may not hold due to not enough threads holding.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Psalms144.1 View Post

Good to know. I'm also a fan of using the clear nail polish when I'm out of locktite.
    "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678