Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Large" flite control 00 buck pattern

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

"Large" flite control 00 buck pattern

Is an almost whole hand sized pattern with an improved cylinder remchoke(palm size with carlson modified) at 5-7 yards with reduced recoil federal personal defense 9 pellet 00 buck an indicator the flite control wad is getting stripped in the barrel(20" remington rifle sight cut for chokes, all factory.)

Same barrel with ic choke gives palm sized patterns at the same distance with estate 9 pellet reduced recoil & remington managed recoil 8 pellet loads and slightly smaller patterns when the modified tube is installed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Odd. Patterned a 18'' XCS at 25 yards today with this load and it was 9''

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd guess at 5 to 7 yards your are patterning on cardboard. At that range the wad should probably be most of the group, most of the time you won't be able to count 9 individual pellets. At 15 yards on metal the group ought to be around fist sized to a little larger - all 9 should be on the head of a pepper popper. We actually had to change our basic shotgun course when the flight control wads were introduced - too many folks were shooting 100's while making fundamental gun mounting errors, the patterns were that tight.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Yeah I was expecting the pattern to be wad size at that distance based on the reviews I had seen, but no luck there. Shooting on paper with distinct separate pellet hits in addition to the hole made by the wad.

The Remington bore requires more effort pushing/pulling when cleaning than my Mossberg does so beginning to wonder if the 870 bore is just super tight and stripping the wads off. Will have to try the Federal loads in the 500 barrel to verify the shells aren't the issue.

On the upside, the 870 barrel is great with slugs and has good patterns with regular low recoil buckshot so all is not a loss I guess.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    In nearly all of the 870s I've tested you have to get to at least 10 yards before the shot is really distinguishable from the wad. It's essentially one hole until you get to ten yards.
    HIPPIES SMELL

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    This is our issued duty round for shotguns. At 5-7 yds, it's very hard to tell the difference between OO buck and slug, using issued 870's with cylinder bore chokes.

We have over 1,000 officers to qualify with shotgun, using about 20 range guns to do so. No signs of the type of patterns you are describing with cylinder bore 18" Remington's. Is it possible that some part of your screw in choke is catching on the wad and stripping it?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Funny that I ran across this thread - just shot a bunch of this on Friday. Here's 5 rounds at a measured 7 yards. The small hole to the right is not a buckshot hole - not sure what happened there, I must have shot a single 22 round through it on a previous trip. Anyway - you can see the lack of separation in the pattern. Looks like a slug at this distance.

Shots are out of an 18" cylinder bore Mossberg 500 barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
    Funny that I ran across this thread - just shot a bunch of this on Friday. Here's 5 rounds at a measured 7 yards. The small hole to the right is not a buckshot hole - not sure what happened there, I must have shot a single 22 round through it on a previous trip. Anyway - you can see the lack of separation in the pattern. Looks like a slug at this distance.

Shots are out of an 18" cylinder bore Mossberg 500 barrel.
    If you think you might be loosing your wad in the barrel or sooner that you should I would try polishing the bore. it cant hurt and in the end the gun will be WAY easier to clean anyway. It made a difference in my Mossberg, But I just did it to make it easier to clean. in theory it "Could" work.

EDIT: opps, didnt mean to quote you.
    know The Basics At A Superbowl Level. (I Think Larry Vickers Said That...)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Tried them in an 18.5" 500 with IC Choke and got the wad size pattern so apparently the 870 slug barrel is the issue.

Somewhat strange, both shotguns did about the same with Remington managed recoil 8 pellet buckshot. The Mossberg even patterned it the same as the flute control at 15 yards.

The 870 barrel is mirror bright(much shinier than the 500 actually) and both get a mild scotch brite on a dowel chucked in a drill after shooting.

For whatever reason, the bore on the 870 is tighter. Both feel the same pulling a patch through their chambers, but past that point the 870 takes a lot more effort to pull.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    Tried them in an 18.5" 500 with IC Choke and got the wad size pattern so apparently the 870 slug barrel is the issue.

Somewhat strange, both shotguns did about the same with Remington managed recoil 8 pellet buckshot. The Mossberg even patterned it the same as the flute control at 15 yards.

The 870 barrel is mirror bright(much shinier than the 500 actually) and both get a mild scotch brite on a dowel chucked in a drill after shooting.

For whatever reason, the bore on the 870 is tighter. Both feel the same pulling a patch through their chambers, but past that point the 870 takes a lot more effort to pull.
    In that case, as much of a PITA it is going to be I might consider calling the manufacturer and see if they will fix it.that is if it is in warranty. good luck whatever you decided to do.
    know The Basics At A Superbowl Level. (I Think Larry Vickers Said That...)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast