Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Large" flite control 00 buck pattern

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    This is our issued duty round for shotguns. At 5-7 yds, it's very hard to tell the difference between OO buck and slug, using issued 870's with cylinder bore chokes.

We have over 1,000 officers to qualify with shotgun, using about 20 range guns to do so. No signs of the type of patterns you are describing with cylinder bore 18" Remington's. Is it possible that some part of your screw in choke is catching on the wad and stripping it?
    Wondered about that and thought the thread could have been cut off center, but I can feel that the "inlet" end of the choke wasn't overlapping in to the "outlet" end of the bore. I don't think it is this particular ic tube since nothing looks/feels wrong and the patterns are consistent with various loads. Doesn't really feel like the choke gets tighter when the patch passes in to it when cleaning either.

Feedback Score
    Some shotguns just don't like the flight control wads. None of the shotguns I used to have shot them any better then they shot the Winchester Super X/Mil-Spec type 00 buck rounds but shot regular Remington, Winchester and Federal reduced recoil in a pattern just over an inch at seven yards.

Got some new shotguns now. Need to find some flight control was rounds and try them again.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloSierra View Post
    Some shotguns just don't like the flight control wads. None of the shotguns I used to have shot them any better then they shot the Winchester Super X/Mil-Spec type 00 buck rounds but shot regular Remington, Winchester and Federal reduced recoil in a pattern just over an inch at seven yards.

Got some new shotguns now. Need to find some flight control was rounds and try them again.
    And that is why I shoot different loads in different guns, pistols, rifles and shotguns, 1% of guns don't like certain loads or the load doesn't like the gun.

But I have shot #1B and 00 out of both cylinder bore and with choke tubes and all have performed amazingly well. The best pattern I get is from #1B a 28" barrel with screw in mod choke out of a Beretta 390/300.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I get fist sized patterns at 10 yards out of my 590. It's my go-to load for this gun.

Feedback Score
    Since the barrel seems to function acceptably with other ammo, tightness in the bore not withstanding, I wonder if it may be a bad batch of ammo.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NickySantoro View Post
    Since the barrel seems to function acceptably with other ammo, tightness in the bore not withstanding, I wonder if it may be a bad batch of ammo.
    Had that question to and shells from the same box in my Mossberg with ic choke screwed in gave the wad size groups at 10 yards most reviews indicate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    Yeah I was expecting the pattern to be wad size at that distance based on the reviews I had seen, but no luck there. Shooting on paper with distinct separate pellet hits in addition to the hole made by the wad.

The Remington bore requires more effort pushing/pulling when cleaning than my Mossberg does so beginning to wonder if the 870 bore is just super tight and stripping the wads off. Will have to try the Federal loads in the 500 barrel to verify the shells aren't the issue.

On the upside, the 870 barrel is great with slugs and has good patterns with regular low recoil buckshot so all is not a loss I guess.

That is exactly what's happening. At that range you should be getting patterns the size of the silver dollar. I tried full choke and it strips the wad. You want no choke at all. Choke works against FCW.

I get maybe 12-15" at 25 meters. I have "cylinder bore" choke. It's about half the size of non-FCW loads. Cheap 00B from Wally World have patterns that disintegrate at about 25m, with some pellets not even making it to paper.
    Last edited by ad_infinitum; 10-14-15 at 07:30.

Feedback Score
    From my experience FC behaves differently with IC vs. C chokes. IC "opens up" the shot grouping. There is a youtube video about it.
    A lot of help I am....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copis View Post
    From my experience FC behaves differently with IC vs. C chokes. IC "opens up" the shot grouping. There is a youtube video about it.
    A lot of help I am....

I think I watched the video too and was wondering about the reviewer calling it a cylinder bore since that is not exactly a common screw in choke and is really unusual for a fixed choke versus IC screw in tubes and fixed barrels.

Feedback Score
    I replaced my IC choke for a C choke and had the same results as the video

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast