Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will soft body armor stop an arrow?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    I, for one, appreciate all the time and effort staff and moderators and owners put towards this site, so that Andrew has a place to use to post up his content. That someone would ride any staff or moderators ass about some levity posted in an open thread, is disappointing.

For the record, the "shame the staff" schtick doesn't work too well with me. I cut a fair deal, and call them like I see them.
    No content, no members.

No members, no site.

I appreciate the staff, too, but there's bigger fish to fry in GD.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    We started with six, or ten, dudes here. None of us was doing Youtube vids in our free time. We did Ok....

Remember, it is levity I am using. There are other tools at my disposal if I thought he needed ridden, in seriousness.

I thought the test was cool, I played along too. I am not sure a 50lb compound will get the FPS needed to make things interesting though.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post
    So did it stop it? Not watching the 6+ minute video.

Someone could do well by producing YouTube videos that last 90 seconds or less and are all "meat and potatoes." You already told me what the video is about in text, no need to talk about what you are going to do/did do at the beginning and end of the video...

Interesting topic though
    Mostly, worst performance was on the 4 blade broadhead. Wouldn't have killed you but would have ruined your week. Most of the others were fairly effectively stopped.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Mostly, worst performance was on the 4 blade broadhead. Wouldn't have killed you but would have ruined your week. Most of the others were fairly effectively stopped.
    Did the 4 blade have a cutting edge all the way to the tip? That's the type I said would do the best, based on a hide penetration test I saw a couple of decades ago.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Did the 4 blade have a cutting edge all the way to the tip? That's the type I said would do the best, based on a hide penetration test I saw a couple of decades ago.
    Yepppp.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Firstly, interesting topic & video. Thanks for taking the time to post actual data/test/results, rather than just your 2cents like most of us do on here daily.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 07-23-15 at 19:33.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No, especially with it only being a Level IIA vest I don't think it'll be stopped. As was noted most vests especially on the lower end protection wise are not stab rated.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would say no way. Not without a hard trauma plate. I once shot a crossbow bolt through a gigantic terra-cotta pot filled with packed dirt and woody roots. It went clean through the pot (at least 24") and buried itself so deeply into the ground that we decided not to even dig for it. Crossbow bolts are serious. Time to watch the video now I guess.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Kevlar has to be cut during the soft armor production process. A sharp object should be expected to penetrate soft armor.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Without watching the video first, I believe it will penetrate soft body armor. Most broadheads have a stout chisel point which means a lot of psi on a very small area...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast