Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9MM Carbines

Feedback Score

9MM Carbines

Hey Everyone!

Looking for a good home defense weapon and first started with MP5 clones (I would have to get a class III to make it an SBR though). This doesn't seem like a good option since even if I legally defend myself I could go to court. I was now leaning towards more of a 9mm carbine and wanted some recommendations as to where/who are good brands.

I would like to keep it 9mm (i've shot some pretty awesome civil liberty + P rounds) but I am also curious to see what other guys out there are using as far as HD weapons. Is a pistol enough to dissuade a bad guy from doing damage? Should I go higher in caliber. Sorry this turned into multiple questions.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Damn near everyone on here will recommend an AR in 5.56, especially if SBRs are legal in your state. Pistol rounds may be very controllable out of an AR but suck at killing people, especially bad guys hopped up on adrenaline if not drugs. I don't know how many 9mm AR specific threads there are here but do a search for a general HD gun and you'll be reading for days. If you just want one for fun, I think Colt has the best reputation for one and Grant carries them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Indeed.. The Colt 6450 or the flattop is the way to go. Mine has over 50K rounds through it with nothing more then a wipedown. For a "roll your own" like the CMMG.. They also run forever... Great fun that you can shoot at restricted indoor ranges...
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I'd definitely have one for fun if they weren't the cost of a 5.56 AR. Between those and my M&P 15-22 I just don't see the point when I have many other things I still need to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    For defending the homestead, in general I agree with everyone saying 5.56....I picked up this gal not long ago, an ol school Colt Sporter. Buddy of mine had it sitting in his safe and he never shot it much...Picked her up along with 5 mags. Updated with some Magpul furniture, Vickers sling and an Inforce light. I have to admit, although I have multiple rifles in 5.56, I've had more fun banging steel with this thing than the others!
    P7250001 1.JPG

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    For defending the homestead, in general I agree with everyone saying 5.56....I picked up this gal not long ago, an ol school Colt Sporter. Buddy of mine had it sitting in his safe and he never shot it much...Picked her up along with 5 mags. Updated with some Magpul furniture, Vickers sling and an Inforce light. I have to admit, although I have multiple rifles in 5.56, I've had more fun banging steel with this thing than the others!
    P7250001 1.JPG
    Same here.. They are fun carbines..
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I completely understand your reasoning about having to go for court. With that in mind, if you want to stay away from an AR, I'll say it might be worth looking in to a Hi-Point 995 TS. I used to own one, and though people will say a lot of bad stuff about them, the carbine never failed me. The handguns, on the other hand, not so much.

Maybe also take a look at the Beretta? I always wanted one, just never pulled the proverbial trigger.

Take it like a man."

This Too Shall Pass

Feedback Score
    I have LWD 9mm Glock-fed carbine. It is mostly a trainer, locked in my safe when I'm not on the range. While the 9mm is boringly reliable (close to 10k rounds), I'd reach for a 5.56 first in most situations.

If 9mm or nothing, 9mm is certainly viable. A 16" barrel increases the muzzle velocity for most common rounds. 9mm also may have a lower audio impulse and less muzzle flash/concussion than 5.56. 9mm rounds are certainly viable for ending all sorts of threats in self defense scenario. Without going to extremely unlikely corner cases, do bad guys in your area hit houses in Hanes T-Shirts or covered in body armor like the BoA Hollywood Shootout? My neighborhood is more Carhartt than Gucci, but not likely to see bad guys with IIIA Kevlar. Tactically, have a plan if the bad guys are armored, but don't let one aspect drag down a realistic plan.

I absolutely discount the "going to court" scenario. You have much, much bigger problems like maintaining your liberty rather than worrying about some $1000 gun. If $1000 is that big of deal financially, my very humble opinion is that you are better off building your savings for a legal defense or finding a big dog than buying a relatively expensive niche carbine. Think Zimmerman in Florida - saving $150 on a Keltec didn't seem to do him any favors.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    I absolutely discount the "going to court" scenario. You have much, much bigger problems like maintaining your liberty rather than worrying about some $1000 gun.
    I wish this was said more often on gun forums. EVEN IF the hack lawyer tried painting you as someone bent on killing with your "Class 3" murder stick, your defense atty. should be able to wipe the floor with that lawyer, it's amateur. Let's go that far and say you get nailed with a manslaughter charge or you end up doing time for the whole thing: You. Are. Alive. You used the best possible tool for the worst case scenario. Money well spent.

An old coworker of mine shot a guy, one of a trio that had broken into his house, to dissuade them. He used a suppressed SBR with an EOtech. Had the gun back in 6 months, clear cut self defense. I think he only had to appear in court once or twice and it was more paperwork than a trial from what he said.

EDIT: OP, You can build a 9mm AR15 for half the price of an MP5 clone, even if you use ultra premium components. Slap a 7 or 8 inch barrel on it, a good pistol can, and get some +p (preferably +p+, since you are running a sub gun and have a decent length of barrel to put them to use). That should get you a total package with under 16" of muzzle, good terminal performance, and be quieter than an unsuppressed handgun or 5.56 rifle of any configuration.

Now, all of that aside, with most 9mm carbines are you FAR outperforming a handgun? Not in much but magazine capacity. 9mm in most SAAMI loadings top out around ~6" of barrel. Being able to fire a carbine from the shoulder under stress is nice, but with a minimal amount of training, a handgun can perform just as well at home defense distances. Unless you live in some crazy mansion with 75 foot halls or have an isolated plot of land to defend from the Comanches.

All that being said, I'd choose a 9mm/5.56 carbine for home defense every time. And I live in a small condo... so your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Shagnasty; 07-30-15 at 05:07. Reason: Forgot to answer the OP, too many beers.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    No one has mentioned the class 3 comment yet. A class 3 is not necessary to turn a 16 inch rifle into a SBR. You do the form 1 and pay the 200 dollar tax stamp to the govt. That's it. It doesn't matter what gun you use, a good shoot is a a good shoot. If you don't have a criminal attorney on retainer that specializes in firearms case law, you might be better off doing that first. USCCA, US Law Shield, etc.
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse to Be a Victim and Personal Protection in the Home
    Full time instructor for Florida Firearms Training
    21 years as USAF Combat Arms Instructor and First Sergeant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast