Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colt 70 Series

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Back to stock plus 18.5 lb recoil spring. Shot another 300 rounds half Magtech half Federal white box. No issues. The trigger is very crisp now-at least compared to the Glocks and M&P's i have been shooting during several year hiatus from the 1911 platform. As a side note, i left the platform due to my experiences with Kimber, the original S&W 1911 and a loaded Springfield. The one Colt i had was "customized" and returned unreliable. I should have stuck to Colt and left it alone. Im full circle now. BTW I'm using the stock 7 round mags plus a third Colt from Brownells. Im happy.

The future may include new sights, a flat mainspring housing, aluminum medium trigger and beveling of the magwell. Probably the new Vickers mags. But not necessarily and not this year.
    Last edited by PLCedeno; 08-02-15 at 06:04.
    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Admitted New York State Bar 1994

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I like it. I have real meaty hands, so a hammer Bob is mandatory.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    OP… Keeping it simple, I like it!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thirteen/autumns View Post
    OP… Keeping it simple, I like it!

Now, that deserves a hell yea.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Nice. I like the logo on the grips. Thirteen/Autums did you adjust the thumb safety yourself when you installed the new hammer? I see that its a different safety from the original so I'm assuming you kept the OEM hammer and thumb safety? Also the flat mainspring housing seems blended to the frame. Was that you also or is that an original Colt FMH that just matched? Tell me about the trigger also. Your configuration has caught my attention.
    Last edited by PLCedeno; 08-03-15 at 05:55.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PLCedeno View Post
    Nice. I like the logo on the grips. Thirteen/Autums did you adjust the thumb safety yourself when you installed the new hammer? I see that its a different safety from the original so I'm assuming you kept the OEM hammer and thumb safety? Also the flat mainspring housing seems blended to the frame. Was that you also or is that an original Colt FMH that just matched? Tell me about the trigger also. Your configuration has caught my attention.
    thumb safety is a Wilson Combat and did have to be re-fit after the new sear and hammer, which was done by myself. I also keep original parts incase I sell firearms. The mainspring housing is EGW and was also installed by myself but no serious blending done… Pretty much a drop-in installation if I can remember correctly.

basically whole firearm is a Series 80 with the below added parts. I have been shooting and pretty much dedicating my handgun learning/shooting to 1911s for close to 8 years until no BS like a week ago I bought a Glock 21 for a bedside HD/suppressor platform. I can fit/install anything that doesn't involve machining, and that is all due me learning via the internet and reading/understanding the mechanics of the 1911 for the past ump-ting years.

10-8 Performance medium trigger (has to be machined to fit (haven't had a trigger that hasn't), or you have to be really good with a file (I hate vertical slop in 1911 triggers so machined they always are)
    CS sear and hammer (TR sear jig (new hotness) or ED Brown jig works fine)
    CS sear and hammer TiN pins (no noticeable difference from regular non-TiN pins but the gold color matched by Colt medallions on my grips )
    EGW oversided firing pin stop which I also put a small radius on (fit the FPS to the slide then the extractor to the FPS)
    WC extractor (claw geometry is almost pretty much drop-in but again I am anal so I do a little filing to the claw / you also have to worry about claw distance from the breach face)
    WC thumb safety (haven't bough a new one that didn't need to be fit to the sear / 10-8 Performance 1911 armorers block makes this easy just time consuming)
    EWG mainspring housing
    Nowlin barrel bushing (I always have the inter-diameter reamed via machining lath)
    WC flat-wire recoil spring and shok buff

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Another trouble free 300 rounds. No bite whatsoever using the 18# rsa from Wilson. Amazing what a change of recoil spring can accomplish-at such little cost. The wiggly trigger still bothers me somewhat. The difference is more noticeable when compared to a SA TRP and even Colt's Rail gun i tested at my local shop. I'm getting used to the arched MSH. These things may be mass produced but compared to my Glock's they really do seem to have a soul.
    Last edited by PLCedeno; 08-13-15 at 04:51.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12