Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt 70 Series

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Colt 70 Series

Got this beauty recently. Cleaned and prepped then applied FireClean. Fired 300 rounds with one FTF at about 200 rounds as the gun was extremely hot. By then the trigger had smoothed out somewhat. I found the gun to be accurate and much fun to shoot. That being said, i got the dreaded hammer bite. I also found the steel trigger to be somewhat wiggly. Also i think the arched mainspring housing isn't for me.

My plan is to install Harrison Designs bobbed hammer, a Colt Flat Mainspring housing and probably a medium length aluminum trigger. The idea is to keep the gun as close to stock while making it more shootable to me.

Any thoughts regarding having the OEM hammer bobbed vs. one from Harrison, aluminum trigger vs. stock and straight vs. flat mainspring housing would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by PLCedeno; 07-19-15 at 16:05.
    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Admitted New York State Bar 1994

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Nice series 70, I have several. I like the minor changes you mentioned. If you bob the oem hammer you don't have to worry about fitting a new hammer which should usually done by qualified 1911 smith as should the trigger. Only thing I would add is a more useable rear sight (Harrison retro would be a great option).

Also, invest in some decent mags and make sure the extractor is tuned and it should treat you well.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Look into Hilton Yam's extractor test posted on MSW in reference to rush's comment. I do prefer the flat MSH which seems much more common. As for the rest, I'm all about having a professional smith doing any type of work on the 1911 - especially trigger work. I have added a few parts to my CRG, most of which were "drop in," but still feel they don't live up to their full potential until fitted by a professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
    Nice series 70, I have several. I like the minor changes you mentioned. If you bob the oem hammer you don't have to worry about fitting a new hammer which should usually done by qualified 1911 smith as should the trigger. Only thing I would add is a more useable rear sight (Harrison retro would be a great option).

Also, invest in some decent mags and make sure the extractor is tuned and it should treat you well.
    Tell me what you like about the Harrison rear sight compared to OEM. I see that its less snag proof. Is there more?
    Last edited by PLCedeno; 07-19-15 at 18:11.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Harrison hammer is much nicer quality and I would highly recommend it. It's very well machined.

Wilson triggers are my favorite. Super easy to fit. The smooth face of the Harrison isn't for me.

Fitting a flat MSH shouldn't be hard either. I like the Guncrafter 20 LPI.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PLCedeno View Post
    Tell me what you like about the Harrison rear sight compared to OEM. I see that its less snag proof. Is there more?
    It's quite a bit more robust, the thin tabs have been to known to break on the colts. I like the the u notch better as well.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
    It's quite a bit more robust, the thin tabs have been to known to break on the colts. I like the the u notch better as well.
    Didn't think about that-thank you.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I installed the Harrison bobbed hammer as a complete ignition kit. Didn't realize the thumb safety would need adjustment. Its with the smith now. The trigger pull seemed to come down to about 4lb. No hammer bite now but the grip safety's sharp edges on this model is also uncomfortable. I didn't notice that before because i was focused on my bleeding hands. I understand now why most 1911's have the round hammers and beavertail grip safeties. Money may not be everything in life but it is in the 1911 world.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    I have never gotten hAmmer bite even on old
    Long hammer spur 1911's no matter how much I choke up on the grip. I prefer the look of the spur, and could never figure why people went to all the effort of fancy hammers and beavertails when bobbing the hammer was a much simpler route. It is not like we are thumb cocking these things like in the old days.
    If the gun is hitting where you want and is reliable some times the worst thing to do is give it to a gun
    Smith. That is unless it is someone who really knows 1911's

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAVDOC View Post
    I have never gotten hAmmer bite even on old
    Long hammer spur 1911's no matter how much I choke up on the grip. I prefer the look of the spur, and could never figure why people went to all the effort of fancy hammers and beavertails when bobbing the hammer was a much simpler route. It is not like we are thumb cocking these things like in the old days.
    If the gun is hitting where you want and is reliable some times the worst thing to do is give it to a gun
    Smith. That is unless it is someone who really knows 1911's

I could not agree more. I have prior to your post had the new hammer removed and the original replaced. I did however change the OEM 16lb recoil spring with an 18# from Wilson Combat. I added band aids to my range bag. I noticed that with the new recoil spring i had a lot fewer bite issues. Band aids worn prior to the shooting season eliminated the problem altogether. I felt really uncomfortable with the thumb safety having to be adjusted to make the new hammer viable. I might have been ok with it if Ted Yost, LAV, etc were the ones doing the work.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast