Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 23 Rear sight far right, how much is too much?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Glock 23 Rear sight far right, how much is too much?

Mid 40's here and struggling with "old man" vision so have been testing a few different types of sights. Wasn't getting great groups with my Gen4 G23 last year and put it away. Attributed it to the Ameriglo ICE rear sight with the HUGE .180 rear and fat dot front.

Moving on I just got a new set of 10-8's, .140 notch and .100 fiber optic front! Woo hoo, was looking forward to actually getting a little more precision out of this setup. Meticulously installed and centered with parallel bars and calipers, front and rear centered within (.003). Off to the range today and shoot 25yrds off my bag. Not looking for bullseye groups but just to get centered and hopefully keeping them in the black. What I found was I was just about 5" to the left. I moved them about .030 to the right and am still about 1.5" left of center. It's starting to look wonky, at least from the top. I've always needed a small adjustment off of center (long time Glock shooter) but I think it's going to end up being about .040-.050, it seems like an awful lot. I'm almost thinking about cocking the front to the opposite direction intentionally to see if I can get the rear a little closer to center?

Great sight picture and the thinner front sight is definitely an improvement.

Last edited by MStarmer; 07-21-15 at 16:01. Reason: Forgot TopView

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Judging by the POI, I am guessing you are right handed. Before touching the sights, I would try moving my trigger finger in until the crease for the distal joint barely touches the right side of the trigger. I have seen a shooter switching to this technique move POI as much as 5" to the right at 25 yards.
    Last edited by T2C; 07-21-15 at 17:03.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Judging by the POI, I am guessing you are right handed. Before touching the sights, I would try moving my trigger finger in until the crease for the distal joint barely touches the right side of the trigger. I have seen a shooter switching to this technique move POI as much as 5" to the right at 25 yards.
    That's pretty much my spot already (short fingers) and yes right handed. Never had a problem qualifying with older G23 and/or issued G22 (switched to M&P's quite a few years ago). I have to say that the new Gen 4 (as compared to my Gen3 G27) has quite the stiff trigger (standard connector and spring). The little dimple on the Gen4 trigger bar to help keep center on the plunger seems to create a lot of drag. The gun is pretty much new with only a few hundred rounds, maybe I should dryfire it a few thousand times and concentrate a little harder. Never had problems getting at least in the black at 25.

Then again maybe I'm spoiled shooting my PPQ, it's almost effortless to get great hits at distance with that trigger.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For a lot of people trigger finger placement is the issue, but it may not be in your case. If you can do the dime drill successfully 10 times in a row, then the issue is sight adjustment.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Update - I bought a Glock 43 today and had to push the rear sight 0.025" right of center to zero the windage for my carry ammunition. That would be typical of most the handguns I own due to the fact I shoot with my non-dominant eye.

As long as the rear sight is inside the dovetail, I don't think being off center is something to worry about.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies, I've been taking some time and practicing the core fundamentals. There is a definite disruption when the striker falls, I don't know how to fix that other than a new trigger or system. I'm planning on going back to the range and shoot some 10 shot strings off a rest made up of whatever I can cobble together and see where this gun is hitting.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Took awhile and dry fired the living daylights out of it, trying numerous grips and finger positions. Read hours of posts regarding each. Still get a huge amount of sight upset regardless of position(s). No problem with the penny drill, in fact I don't think my trigger breaks have ever been better, but man the overtravel and gen4 trigger is like a different gun.

Left the G23 at home and decided just to concentrate on the G35 as it has a marginally better trigger (both gen4's). Surprisingly almost the same results?? Sights are centered within a few thou and at 25yrds still are left. At 50 ft a little closer but I honestly don't think I can work the trigger any better than I currently am. I've been a Glock guy almost my whole shooting life and even used a G22 for action shooting, but now??? I'm not expecting hardball bullseye type results but less a complete aftermarket trigger system I'm about ready to put them both on the chopping block.

Feedback Score
    Great choice of sights, I love the 10-8's. I find if I run the same trigger finger placement that I shoot just about everything else with, I always get left of center hits with my Glocks. I have to push alot more trigger finger in there .

Feedback Score
    I use plain black 10-8's and my eyes are getting old, but I can print sub three inch groups at 25 yards. With your groups about double that it suggests trigger control not the sights being the issue. Make sure you are managing the trigger properly shooting to reset.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAVDOC View Post
    I use plain black 10-8's and my eyes are getting old, but I can print sub three inch groups at 25 yards. With your groups about double that it suggests trigger control not the sights being the issue. Make sure you are managing the trigger properly shooting to reset.
    There's two separate groups on that target. The far left group is at 25yrds (left circle of 7 rnds) is only 3.25 from center to center, granted it's a little vertically strung but it's not double that. The 50ft group (the shots in the black) I ripped off a little faster and even so only opens op to no more than 4.25, again vertically strung. This gun has the Wilson Combat Vickers sights on it, they're pretty good but not quite as nice as the 10-8 setup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast