Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you transition to your pistol while using a rifle can?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

How do you transition to your pistol while using a rifle can?

I burned the shit out of my knee the other night slinging my rifle can to shoot my pistol. I suppose part of the lesson is don't wear shorts, but at 1000* even jeans won't do you any favors.

I ended up throwing it all the way to the side(so the muzzle was pointing behind me) but that obviously takes time and isn't very practical. When I wanted to strictly focus on pistol I took the rifle completely off and threw it on my back with the muzzle off to the side (in pics/vids below)

I am using a VCAS sling. 11.5" SBR.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 05-10-16 at 15:02.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Have you tried a suppressor cover? I use a Rifles Only HAD, a little hefty but works great. I originally had a TAB gear cover until it started to melt the outter layer. The only TAB I have left is on my bolt gun and it will eventually be replaced by a Rifles Only HAD.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I burned the shit out of my knee the other night slinging my rifle can to shoot my pistol. I suppose part of the lesson is don't wear shorts, but at 1000* even jeans won't do you any favors.

I ended up throwing it all the way to the side(so the muzzle was pointing behind me) but that obviously takes time and isn't very practical. When I wanted to strictly focus on pistol I took the rifle completely off and threw it on my back with the muzzle off to the side (in pics/vids below)

I am using a VCAS sling. 11.5" SBR.

I cradle it with my non dominant hand and basically hold it to my side. I've had the same experience using a buddy's setup and, thankfully the scar was minimal. Thank God i was wearing cotton.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaxfireman View Post
    Have you tried a suppressor cover? I use a Rifles Only HAD, a little hefty but works great. I originally had a TAB gear cover until it started to melt the outter layer. The only TAB I have left is on my bolt gun and it will eventually be replaced by a Rifles Only HAD.
    The HAD is the ultra high temp cover, correct? I have been following several covers, but have been unimpressed in their tendency to melt at relatively low temperatures.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    This is a great example of why a rifles only HAD cover is essential. Or another similar cover.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    The HAD is the ultra high temp cover, correct? I have been following several covers, but have been unimpressed in their tendency to melt at relatively low temperatures.
    Yes, it has not failed yet, You can remove the can without a glove following multiple mild to moderate strings of fire. The only concern I have is the can holding the heat longer, instead of it dissipating. The TAB gear cover I was using that failed, did so extravagantly after two 20rnd mag dumps at a brisk pace, I keep it around for show and tell.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    A suppressor cover for training while doing transitions. If just running the rifle, no cover to help cool quicker- they do retain hear.

Feedback Score
    Are you pretty upright in the photo? If you shoot from a wider stance does the rifle hang more in the middle away from your knee?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Actually, a wider stance is what ended up burning me. I became afraid to really move at all and just stood still every time I shot with a handgun from then on as that suppressor was just no joke. Also, no amount of stance changing will help the suppressor from swinging around when walking.

Interesting points about the cover - but I've read all the threads and it seems like for every person saying xyz brand cover works, there's one or two saying that it failed under pretty normal conditions. Additionally, I have a TAB cover on my bolt gun and no matter how tight I get those bungees it seems to slide forward. I certainly don't want a melting suppressor cover flying off...at night... falling right where my knee will end up when going to the kneeling.

So while it seems a cover is the (only) way to do this, is there a unanimous decision on covers that actually work? Not trying to do mag dumps, but several hundred rounds fired over an hour or two is not uncommon.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 04-23-16 at 15:01.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Okay yeah if you are throwing your muzzle as far left as you can while drawing and it is still hitting then I would just practice transitions with a 14.5/16 lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast