28 17.61%
  • 2060s

5 3.14%
  • 2070 or beyond

17 10.69%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How much longer will the AR15 remain "America's Rifle"

Feedback Score
    Just look at history: the 1911 is over 100 years old now and people still swear by it.

You can still buy a copy of a Colt Peacemaker, or a Civil War era muzzle loader, for Pete's Sake.

Manufacturers will continue to innovate, and you may one day buy an AR with a polymer receiver that is stronger than steel, but I don't think the rifle will lose its popularity unless some draconian legislation makes the mere possession of one a chore.

Feedback Score
    when rifles are superseded by directed energy weapons

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ACR_Scout View Post
    I hate to say this, but I think as our military rifle technology continues to advance, there's more of a risk that the government will try to restrict civilian sale of those weapons. I have a feeling the AR15 will be around a lot longer than the introduction of the next GI rifle simply because it will easier to buy and will have more options available.

Dave
    My thoughts exactly.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microadventure View Post
    Was actually thinking this as well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think America's armed forces will continue to use the AR in it's different military designations for quite some time. They have tested other rifles but nothing has replaced it yet. With talks of scaling down troop numbers etc. I don't see us spending more money on another rifle. Then again someone may come out with something better tomorrow but I doubt it.

ETA: I voted 2030
    Last edited by Berserkr556; 07-24-15 at 11:10.

Feedback Score
    It's gonna be a long time... sadly, I think the most likely scenario to end it is Hillary, Feinswine, & Co will pass another AWB with no grandfathering or sunset.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The AR15 is the best a civilian will ever do, and we keep coming so close to losing them.

The day it is not "America's rifle" will because it was outlawed, not because we got something better.

Could be three months, could be eternity.

Feedback Score
    Agreed, with the exception of the change from bolt action to semi-auto (1903A3 to M1 Garand) every change in front line weapon has been accompanied by a change in ammunition.
    Until something comes along that is revolutionarily better that 5.56 we'll continue to soldier on with an adequate delivery system for that projectile. There are evolutionarily better systems, but none so much improved that it's worth scrapping what we already have in order to adopt. (Parenthetically, I'm rather surprised still that we went from a rifle to a carbine as standard issue, but that does reflect common engagement ranges on today's battlefield.)

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Was actually thinking this as well.
    Y'all beat me to it. 40 watt for me please.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 4thPointOfContact View Post
    Agreed, with the exception of the change from bolt action to semi-auto (1903A3 to M1 Garand) every change in front line weapon has been accompanied by a change in ammunition.
    Until something comes along that is revolutionarily better that 5.56 we'll continue to soldier on with an adequate delivery system for that projectile. There are evolutionarily better systems, but none so much improved that it's worth scrapping what we already have in order to adopt. (Parenthetically, I'm rather surprised still that we went from a rifle to a carbine as standard issue, but that does reflect common engagement ranges on today's battlefield.)
    Going from Garand to M14 was an evolutionary change rather than a revolutionary change.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast